Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Shaquille O'Neal Thinks Earth Is Flat Because It Doesn't Go Up And Down When He Drive

In kind of funny but also oh-God-why news, former NBA basketball player and scientist-in-training Shaquille O’Neal has claimed Earth is flat. How does he know this? Because it seems flat when he drives from coast to coast. We really hope he was joking.

Shaq made the comments on a show called The Big Podcast (please don't read the comments there), which he co-hosts, back in February that has just been released. Below is a genuine, verbatim quote of what he said:

“I drive from coast to coast, and this shit is flat to me. I’m just saying. I drive from Florida to California all the time, and it’s flat to me. I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle, and all that stuff about gravity, have you looked outside Atlanta lately and seen all these buildings? You mean to tell me that China is under us? China is under us? It’s not. The world is flat.”

When one of his co-hosts noted we had satellite imagery of Earth pointing out that Earth was, indeed, round, he responded: “Oh satellite imagery? That could be [a] drone or made up.”

And to just to cement his views, he added: “I’m just saying that when I drive from Florida to New York – flat. New York to Seattle – flat. Seattle to LA – flat.”

So what shape does Shaq think Earth is? Why, the future Nobel Prize winner proudly declared “it’s a square”.

Sadly, Shaq is not alone in this belief. His comments were in reply to similar musings from current Cleveland Cavaliers’ player Kyrie Irving, who said last month: “This is not even a conspiracy theory. The Earth is flat. The Earth is flat.” Oh, he also thinks he has the power to have an out-of-body experience when he dreams.

The flat Earth claim was also backed by Golden State Warriors player Draymond Green, who said: “I’m not saying I think it’s flat or round. I don’t know but it could be.”

There’s also Denver Nuggets player Wilson Chandler, who tweeted: “I agree with him [Kyrie].”

Oh and let’s not forget rapper B.o.B., who last year got into an infamous tussle with astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson when he spouted some bizarre comments about Earth being flat.
    http://www.iflscience.com/brain/shaq...hen-he-drives/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Who could have thought encouraging stupidity in schools could lead to stupid opinions and beliefs?

If you want to see the earth being round, go on a ship, take a telescope with you, sail to a relatively calm sea and see for yourself.

Well he is certainly allowed to have such an opinion, it not being true is another matter.

Though I do believe famous people should be cautious about what kind of insane shit they spew due to having a fanbase that they could potentially sway, which is also why I despise Jaden smith and all his insane ramblings.

I wasn't aware basketball had that high a chance of multiple concussions leading to brain damage.

360-degree angle
    Ha, that's adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Well he is certainly allowed to have such an opinion, it not being true is another matter.
    We need to stop calling whatever anyone says an opinion. It can only be called an opinion if there is no objective answer. "The earth is flat/round" cannot be an opinion as there is an objective answer.
    Last edited by alzoron; 2017-03-20 at 06:20 PM.
    Signature not found

In fairness that probably won't be the most backward view I'll read in Gen-OT this week.
    Last edited by Pann; 2017-03-20 at 06:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    What worries me most is not that Shaq said it. Its that other people seem to be agreeing with him. The article mentions 3 other athletes who are equally wrong. It's not an opinion. You can have an opinion on whether its a nice day out or on what you think about a certain food. Saying the earth is flat is simply being wrong.

oh that shaq, always joking around. he's a funny guy.

he goddamn better be joking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    Ha, that's adorable.

We need to stop calling whatever anyone says an opinion. It can only be called an opinion if there is no objective answer. "The earth is flat/round" cannot be an opinion as there is an objective answer.
    Does it matter? He's free to say whatever the fuck he wants. If he wants to be a complete idiot by saying the world is flat then so be it.

When people talk about "flat-earthers" I always thought they were joking.

Deleted

Flawless logic. Whenever I've looked towards the sea, I've seen no other countries; they must not exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    Ha, that's adorable.

Guess I should rephrase it then.. He is free to express himself however he please despite being completely wrong.

Yes it does matter because if you say that it's just an opinion then it allows you to hand wave what ever they say away.

I think Shaq has a great sense of humor.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

These dumbass motherfuckers...

He Shaq, my boy Neil has got some words of wisdom for you.

Deleted
    I have an extended family member who truly believes in flat earth stuff, always sharing that nonsense on facebook and promoting flat earth believer pages, its so strange.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    In fairness that probably won't be the most backward view I'll read in Gen-OT this week.
    Is trump looking for a new science advisor yet?

15+ Year Old Account
    Problem is that non-scientific stuff like this slowly seems to gain crowd support. You could however see their evolution of proofs for fake space, fake satellites, fake volcanoes, fake forests you name it. It's all connected with flatearth-ism. I am always wondering about what their final goal is.

Apparently the technology which got jump-started by space exploration is now used to explain that said space exploration didn't ever happen.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    When people talk about "flat-earthers" I always thought they were joking.
    Go on youtube and search for flat earth.. There's a whole community of people who make videos with "proof" backing up their claims.