Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Cyberbullying Taints Perception of School and Learning

Involvement in cyberbullying among young girls — as a victim, perpetrator, or both, leads to a feeling of inadequacy and a belief that they are not accepted by peers.

This perception can then trigger negative perceptions of the importance of school and the value of learning.

In a new study, researchers from Nottingham Trent University found that 11-15 year-old girls who were most involved in cyberbullying are subject to extreme stress given the 24/7/365 information sharing environment of social media.

Research findings are reported in the journal Sex Roles.

The relationship is significant as the sending and receiving of offensive, threatening, derogatory, and often victimizing content on social media is on the rise among young people.

This can include sending around unchecked gossip and compromising or humiliating photographs of others.

A total of 345 male and female pupils took part in the study. The pupils completed questionnaires which measured levels of cyberbullying involvement — such as sending and receiving threatening or offensive comments, rumors, and the sharing of images or videos — over the last three months.

Perceived acceptance by peers and perception of the importance of school and learning were also measured.

Investigators discovered that females who reported the highest levels of involvement in cyberbullying felt the least accepted by the peers. This perception of their peers then predicted how they felt about school and learning generally.

In terms of males, only boys who had been involved in cyberbullying as both bully and victim felt more negatively about school and learning, the study found.

Females who felt the least accepted felt more negatively about school and learning, while those who felt more accepted were more positive.

The more acceptance girls received from the peers, the more likely they were to shrug off the effects of cyberbullying and enjoy school, and the less likely they were to participate in virtual attacks.

This finding contributes to a growing body of evidence about how involvement in cyberbullying undermines young people`s peer relationships.

“With the increasing amount of time they spend using digital technology, young people are at great risk of being involved in cyberbullying — as a victim, bully, or both,” said Dr. Lucy Betts, lead researcher of the study.

“In the past, bullying experiences were often confined to school and would end with the school day. Despite cyberbullying occurring outside the school environment, however, we know that its impact is likely to spill over into school and this is particularly the case for young women.”

“Our findings highlight that stressors outside the school grounds can have a negative impact on how young women perceive school. This is worrying, as previous studies have shown that young people who experience cyberbullying are more likely to avoid school,” she continued.

“Our work also contributes to the growing evidence that involvement in cyberbullying undermines peer relationships and highlights the importance of these relationships upon attitudes towards learning and school for young women.”
    https://psychcentral.com/news/2017/0...ng/117766.html

With the growing evidence of the dangers associated with cyberbullying, you would think the governments of the world would be focusing on this more.

There have been several high profile cases over here where tormented teens took their own lives. It might be time to focus on this more and stop acting as if it isn't serious. What steps would you like to see taken to tackle this rising problem?

This seems to be a topic of great importance to the OP, OP has posted several such articles.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

TLDR:Kids who get bullied are stressed and hate school...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    There have been several high profile cases over here where tormented teens took their own lives.
    They need to stop being pussies and stand up for themselves, saying that as someone who was bullied when I moved schools. I just ended up walking up to the biggest guy and kicking shit outta him. Wasn't bullied after that.

If I was the government, I'd hand THESE out.

It's going to end up needing written permission to look at someone soon, and filing a request for communication in triplicate to speak to someone, with every statement pre-approved if the world keeps going on the way it is.

STORYTIME!!!
    I was in Tesco with my mum. We passed the drinks isle and I noticed something. I went to my mum "mum, we should buy some negro now" A woman starts screaming how fucking racist and utter despicable a human I am. I simply POINTED at something and she walked away red faced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    They need to stop being pussies and stand up for themselves, saying that as someone who was bullied when I moved schools. I just ended up walking up to the biggest guy and kicking shit outta him. Wasn't bullied after that.

It's going to end up needing written permission to look at someone soon, and filing a request for communication in triplicate to speak to someone, with every statement pre-approved if the world keeps going on the way it is.

STORYTIME!!!
    I was in Tesco with my mum. We passed the drinks isle and I noticed something. I went to my mum "mum, we should buy some negro now" A woman starts screaming how fucking racist and utter despicable a human I am. I simply POINTED at something and she walked away red faced.
    So your brilliant idea to suggest for others, is to start committing crimes as a solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://psychcentral.com/news/2017/0...ng/117766.html

With the growing evidence of the dangers associated with cyberbullying, you would think the governments of the world would be focusing on this more.

There have been several high profile cases over here where tormented teens took their own lives. It might be time to focus on this more and stop acting as if it isn't serious. What steps would you like to see taken to tackle this rising problem?
    As long as it's only teen deaths, I think this is fine. They don't have dependents, and they eat a lot.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    So your brilliant idea to suggest for others, is to start committing crimes as a solution?
    No, my suggestion is to stand up for themselves. What I did is lose my temper, and the bullies understood that I would defend myself physically if they started their shit.
    My solution is to do the exact same thing back to them. If it means mentally abusing them, so be it. Fight fire with fire. Most bullies have a weakness, and with social media etc these days, it's usually very easy to find out what turned them into a bully. Using that against them will fuck them up. Tell them you know their secret, if they keep it up, spread it around the school. Using their own tools against them is the best way to deal with them.

Ofcourse it was easier in my day. My mum or dad would just go to their house and kick the shit outta their parents every time the bully did something to me. It stopped very fast. Having a psychotic family helped a lot.

Deleted
    Well I fought my bully behind the school and broke his arm. Despite being bullied none stop for 3 years straight and constant reporting to the headmaster, I was the one suspended for causing bodily harm. So glad you got away with it but for the most part fighting back only worsens the situation.

That looks like the ID-10T form my CO had some Boots fill out. Reason.... hands should be in pockets <.<

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PleaseHold View Post
    Well I fought my bully behind the school and broke his arm. Despite being bullied none stop for 3 years straight and constant reporting to the headmaster, I was the one suspended for causing bodily harm. So glad you got away with it but for the most part fighting back only worsens the situation.
    I was suspended for a week, more so coz the teacher got in the way and I hit her in my rage fueled craze. Reports do nothing, schools are powerless, all they can do is suspend the bully, which does fuckall as it's seen as a reward not to go to school, and speaking to them just goes in one ear and out the other. Violence is unfortunately the only way most bullies will stop.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was suspended from school for defending myself once, and for the rest of my schooling I had to endure assault and could do nothing but hope they get caught. Reporting only got people detention

That and I just don't like to harm people. Waste of time and energy.

Deleted
    I was suspended for a week, more so coz the teacher got in the way and I hit her in my rage fueled craze. Reports do nothing, schools are powerless, all they can do is suspend the bully, which does fuckall as it's seen as a reward not to go to school, and speaking to them just goes in one ear and out the other. Violence is unfortunately the only way most bullies will stop.
    Well there is one -massive- problem that you are missing out, which is that not everyone that is bullied can physically fight back, especially if there is a group of them involved. Sadly throwing your arms around in a rage isn't going to do much when you are getting stomped on by someone physically stronger or a rabid group of them.

What would you suggest to these kids then?

Cyber-bullying has always been an annoyance in that people can't seem to grasp that in one simple move it all goes away. (turn off pc)
    People invest too much in some shitty "virtual" world and never seem to come to the realization that the real world is the one that they have to live in.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well there is one -massive- problem that you are missing out, which is that not everyone that is bullied can physically fight back, especially if there is a group of them involved. Sadly throwing your arms around in a rage isn't going to do much when you are getting stomped on by someone physically stronger or a rabid group of them.

What would you suggest to these kids then?
    Well, I'm now 33 and I'm 5ft 4. I wasn't exactly physically well built, which is why they didn't think I would fight back. We were in Home Economics, just finished cooking lesson. I took one of the cutting boards, big wooden one, and slammed it into the head of the biggest bully there. His friends did nothing due to shock and me egging them onto, as I remember " Come the fuck oan then ya cunts". I got a reputation as a psycho from that way on XD.

So, my advice? Use a weapon if you have to. There's no rules in a fight with a bully. Do what you have to to win.

Deleted
    Well there is a reason I am asking about solutions for physical bullying for kids that can't physically defend themselves because the answer can easily be turned for kids who can't defend themselves mentally as well.

It would be nice if the internet and the real world was as seperate as people make it out to be, however we have seen the affect on adult life that social media gone foul can cause (Loss of jobs etc) so clearly "switching off" isn't the simple answer as thought.

So, my advice? Use a weapon if you have to. There's no rules in a fight with a bully. Do what you have to to win.
    Woah boy, I am -pretty- sure that is a one way ticket to a criminal conviction if caught.
    Last edited by mmoc91fe476160; 2017-03-20 at 12:03 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Woah boy, I am -pretty- sure that is a one way ticket to a criminal conviction if caught.
    Must depend on where you live to be honest. I'm not talking about carrying a weapon with you, I was brought up to use anything in my area to my advantage in a fight. If that meant using house keys to their face, so be it.

Funny story, before tighter laws were brought in, I used to carry an ASP baton around with me in my teens, and I wasn't afraid to use it. When I was 18, I worked in a petrol station forecourt in Edinburgh. Some guys came in around 11pm and started their shit with trying to steal things, so I pressed the panic button for police, as I felt they were getting a bit violent. They went outside and tried to get petrol out the pumps, which they couldn't ofcourse, then tried to rip them out. My mum worked there also, and came into see me after the works night out and the guys had went outside and around the corner. The guys come back and go to my mum as she went outside to pick the hose guns from the pumps, one of them with his hand in his pocket, so I panic, run outside and take out my baton. One of the guys walked up to me and said to "bring it on". He came towards me and I have no memory of what happened, except him lying on ground with blood coming out his head. Police come and I explain what happened, and showed them the ASP. They turned away and told me to put it away and they'd pretend they didn't see it.
    Watched the video next day after the main boss comes in, I lose my job, fair enough, I shouldn't have done what I did. But it was rather frightening to see yourself doing something and having no memory of you doing it. To this day, I refuse to allow myself to get into these situations, I'm fucking terrified of a similar thing happening and me blanking out.
    I still have the ASP baton to this day, it's in my bedroom hanging up.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Why not get off the Internet if you can't take the heat? I get bullied all the time in wow and you don't see me crying

Cyber bullying? Just block them,problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Cyber bullying? Just block them,problem solved.
    And then they make a new account and keep right at it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Must depend on where you live to be honest. I'm not talking about carrying a weapon with you, I was brought up to use anything in my area to my advantage in a fight. If that meant using house keys to their face, so be it.

Funny story, before tighter laws were brought in, I used to carry an ASP baton around with me in my teens, and I wasn't afraid to use it. When I was 18, I worked in a petrol station forecourt in Edinburgh. Some guys came in around 11pm and started their shit with trying to steal things, so I pressed the panic button for police, as I felt they were getting a bit violent. They went outside and tried to get petrol out the pumps, which they couldn't ofcourse, then tried to rip them out. My mum worked there also, and came into see me after the works night out and the guys had went outside and around the corner. The guys come back and go to my mum as she went outside to pick the hose guns from the pumps, one of them with his hand in his pocket, so I panic, run outside and take out my baton. One of the guys walked up to me and said to "bring it on". He came towards me and I have no memory of what happened, except him lying on ground with blood coming out his head. Police come and I explain what happened, and showed them the ASP. They turned away and told me to put it away and they'd pretend they didn't see it.
    Watched the video next day after the main boss comes in, I lose my job, fair enough, I shouldn't have done what I did. But it was rather frightening to see yourself doing something and having no memory of you doing it. To this day, I refuse to allow myself to get into these situations, I'm fucking terrified of a similar thing happening and me blanking out.
    I still have the ASP baton to this day, it's in my bedroom hanging up.
    You know how narrowly you avoided jail time right there? You were not only carrying a weapon around, but assaulted someone with it. As the earlier guy said, that style is one way ticket to criminal conviction, from which you lucked out of, when the police against their duty looked away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.