Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    White sapphires lack the brilliance, fire and scintillation of a diamond. Sapphires are more about the body color than sparkle.
    Thank you. I suddenly want to get something new but it's so hard to find jewellery for men.

Diamonds are over priced because that is how they want them to be, hell labs can grow diamonds now.

If your love for you significant other is quantified by how much you spend on a ring with an overpriced chunk for carbon then its not love, its the meaning behind the ring the matters.

They likely are choosing other types of stones because they don't have the money for diamond jewelry. Diamond wedding engagement rings have gotten really expensive. Over the last six years weeding costs have increased by $3000 on average alone. $8k is the average for rings in my state- more in others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, I feel very fortunate. I don't care about the money all that much, but that impulse to pitch in and be equal is huge for me and speaks volumes about character.
    So you just want your wife to pay half for everything? You don't even buy her gifts?

My boyfriend and I have discussed this kind of thing, and I told him flat out I just don't want a diamond, even though I am a bit of a magpie and like sparkly things. If he insists on an engagement ring, I'd prefer one of his design or that he had input on with our birthstones (Emerald and Pink tourmaline) and if he really wants to have a big sparkly center stone (not too big though) I'd rather have a Moissanite, which is sparkly and "diamond like" enough to provide a similar look, but is more affordable and there's tons of "fair trade" cut stones around.

Since I'd be the one wearing it, I offered to pay for half, he insists that it's his to pay for, but agreed to let me pay for his wedding ring instead, when the time comes, if it does for us.

We're pretty simple people, we won't have a big wedding, but instead a small dinner with our close family and friends after ceremony, or we'll just elope. I don't see the need for the big fluffy lacy wedding that we'll pay for forever, or to invite a bunch of people who just don't really matter, or for that matter, a big flashy ring that I'll either fear wearing all the time, or is impractical to wear. Good thing my boyfriend feels the same way.
    Last edited by undeadmoon; 2017-03-21 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    So you just want your wife to pay half for everything? You don't even buy her gifts?
    OMG, right? Like, can you even???

We don't buy each other much. Little goodies here and there. I travel a lot and usually bring home whatever the local candies are. She'll occasionally get me some little thing.

Money and gifts aren't really a big part of our relationship in general, but she really likes to split things down the middle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    I would still say that it doesn't carry the weight that you're implying anymore. The term is very dated, even by my generation's standards.

There are a lot of factors that go into a piece of jewelry's market value... I could be here all day explaining it... there are specific craftsman, brand names, gemstone black markets, counterfeiting, regional and political identities, historical shortages and surpluses, the general market decline (which this whole thread touches upon), and then the target audience, et cetera... It goes on...

That's true, I'm anything but normal, it seems... Which I'm not sure is a good thing or a bad thing... :|

Well, tastes are opinions, especially with jewelry. My issue was specifically with your inference with synthetic gemstones from the 80s and the the current day market for modern jewelry which is very heavily saturated with significantly higher quality synthetic gemstones, among many other things.

- - - Updated - - -

That doesn't change your opinion into fact, though.
    i never said it was fact.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I think adults are generally able to make their own decisions regarding what they consider useful or not. Jewellery can be very nice, and if you have money to spare I don't see why you shouldn't spend it on such if that is what you want/like.
    Yeah, this is basically what I was saying in my moderately dickish comment earlier:
    ...it's also pretty hard to take a bunch of broke incels commenting on how dumb it is seriously. Most of them would likely feel different about the matter if they had a worthwhile woman and a worthwhile job.
    Who has money to spend on toys? People that aren't broke as fuck.

OMG, right? Like, can you even???

We don't buy each other much. Little goodies here and there. I travel a lot and usually bring home whatever the local candies are. She'll occasionally get me some little thing.

Money and gifts aren't really a big part of our relationship in general, but she really likes to split things down the middle.
    It's those little things once a while that truly matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    Considering the divorce rate, it really is a bad investment to spend so much money on a ring.
    It's not an investment in the first place, it's a loss the second you buy it.

Deleted
    Considering the divorce rate, it really is a bad investment to spend so much money on a ring.
    I think this is a pretty odd way to look at such things. If you only go by raw investment value, you should not ever spend your money on something that will not "keep its objective value", so to say, or something that might - at some point - lose it's value and/or becomes useless to you.

And don't get me started on a vacation or - just as bad - the wedding itself. That is fleeting value if you are already concerned about it with the ring, just because of the divorce rate of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I think this is a pretty odd way to look at such things. If you only go by raw investment value, you should not ever spend your money on something that will not "keep its objective value", so to say, or something that might - at some point - lose it's value and/or becomes useless to you.

And don't get me started on a vacation or - just as bad - the wedding itself. That is fleeting value if you are already concerned about it with the ring, just because of the divorce rate of others.
    There's a reason why prenuptial agreements are a thing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    It's not an investment in the first place, it's a loss the second you buy it.
    Exactly. Just like Marriage Ceremonies. All you have to do is go to the court and get Married. It's just another way for Horrible/Terrible Companies to make money off of you.

The divorce rate is only high for certain demographic groups. If you marry an educated woman that isn't promiscuous, your odds are pretty good.

These are simple rules - don't marry stupid and don't marry slutty.

Instead Millennials blow more of their (usually Parents) money on a Wedding instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Thank you. I suddenly want to get something new but it's so hard to find jewellery for men.
    If you mean with gems, I imagine that might be true. Maybe search the womens jewelry, and see if there's something you like? There's always so much selection, that I'm sure you could find something ^^
    Last edited by Azadina; 2017-03-21 at 02:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Or perhaps it's because diamonds are impractical and we're finally starting to get over the whole diamond craze; something that was silly from the very beginning. Let's get over the whole, "That's how we've done it in the past so let's just keep doing it" thing.
    Pretty much everything is stupid to millennials. They're a bunch of negative Nancy's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's a pretty sad relationship if it's based on who pays for gifts.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    total waste of money, buy your woman some slippers and a dildo , if she doesnt like the slippers tell her to fuck her self . cheap and she will love you

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Pretty much everything is stupid to millennials. They're a bunch of negative Nancy's.
    Diamonds are pretty stupidly over priced. It's great that people are finally starting to get past them. I bought one for my wife because that's what she wanted. Was still stupidly overpriced though and I'm never buying an overpriced diamond again. Her ring: over $5,000. My ring: $20. That's some horse shit right there.

What's wrong with recognizing an overpriced item on the market? Do you feel that diamonds are fairly priced? What other things do millennials think are stupid that bothers you? Why are you so triggered by millennials?

My engagement ring cost £50 , white gold, Pink square cut cubic zirconia, and a few smaller clear cubic zirconia and I love it, because we both were there and picked it out, at a time when we were both struggling with life but had found one another, it means the world to me.

Yes Diamonds are pretty, but to me they are not the partnership, just a token, just like my ring, it is the memory behind it and that moment in time it represents.