Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Were Micro Holidays a complete failure?

When these were first announced i was on the fence about these as most of them seemed like a waste of time. I know i will get some grumblings about how they are "fun" blah blah. Seems like as a whole the time spent on these could had been better utilized somewhere else. After looking at the poll on the front page it seems a majority do no like them at all. While i know the poll does not consult the whole wow populous but the results of a poll with nearly 40,000 votes and be taken lightly. Polls with a sample size this large tend to show the overall direction something went pretty well, and in the case of this it looks like it was a fail.

Players won't go out of their way to partake in something that's not going to result in a reward?? Well I for one am in shock!

... I think Micro Holidays are a waste of their time, it could be put to better use improving things like 1-60 leveling experiences and such. When I want to do something which doesn't necessarily lead to any meaningful reward, I already have activities in-game.

However, a MMO-C poll is by no means a good gauge for these things considering everyone can vote. How many of those votes don't even play WoW? Yeah...

If they give more incentive to do them then it'll be fine but right now i"d say yes, it's a massive failure.

They were for fun.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

That depends on your expectations.

They can be amazing for the right kind of people who love random mini events.

Though... I am not sure how intentional it was to have the Un'goro Madness event coincide with the reveal of the new Hearthstone expansion; Journey to Un'goro. The event even contained some cards(such as the Rogue Legendary plant).

Sneaky Blizzard is sneaky.

I wonder if there are more of these micro-holidays that go alongside other Blizzard game announcements/launches....

15+ Year Old Account
    I did the ungoro event this week and its literally a waste of time. All u do is run back and forth between 3-4 elites and burn them down so they can drop an item that boosts ur dmg by like 1% each kill and then it lasts 3 days. The most u can get is 15% dmg increase. Does anyone really need that? Mobs die almost instantly anyway no matter where u go on broken isles.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I get that they don't want unique rewards for one day holiday, but no rewards at all was bad idea. When I log in I always choose content with some reward over stuff like micro holiday.

I think for holiday like this, they should make few WQ in Ungoro and switch emissary there for one day. Same with timewalking, if there is Outland timewalking up, we should have world quest and emissary in new zone each day, like hellfire->zangarmarsch->terokkar->nagrand->blades edge->netherstorm->shadowmoon. It would truly feel "We are back in BC this week", + it would be great to have small break from Broken Isles. And don't tell me this is impossible, they did it in Silithus, just without emissary.

I'd do micro holidays....

...but my low-med pop alliance PvP realm is CZR with three high-pop horde PVP realms so it's literally more horde than my PC loads before I'd die. Good job on the CRZ there.

Micro holidays, were not for everyone. They're for people who enjoy them, the Ungoro madness one, had a huge amount of players go and check it out, get 20 stacks of the buff etc.

It's pretty stupid for people to think "Yeah I don't really like the event, and it doesn't seem that cool. No one likes it, it's a waste of resources, oh btw I haven't actually gone to the event but no one goes there" The zones are packed with players.

Again, the micro holidays ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE. It's a small bonus that requires very little time to create, and would be a good way for them to test things.

You could do a poll about battle pets, asking if people participate in pet battling, you'd get the same ratio, probably a smaller group of people saying yes. But it's hardly a failure. It's a low resource cost part of the game for a small group of players. It does what it's meant to do.

It's impossible for us to say. The hardcore community of mmo-champion was never going to take en masse to something with no rewards. The people who would aren't often going to be on such a serious forum, or often any forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont understand why they didnt include rewards, pirate day is shorter than micro events and that has rewards
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I'm a collector, and I like to collect mounts, transmog gear and things like that even if I don't use them.
    These days in WoW there is so much "fluff"(while still keeping the super grind for everything) these kind of things have to be really fun for me to bother with them instead of going for something that will be gone in the next patch or the next expansion. Would they had done these in vanilla I probably would have tried them out.

Not to forget that most players these days won't do something unless it will reward them something - this is true even for non-collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    I'd do micro holidays....

...but my low-med pop alliance PvP realm is CZR with three high-pop horde PVP realms so it's literally more horde than my PC loads before I'd die. Good job on the CRZ there.
    are you on korgath? They CRZ us with blackrock 6 months or so back and its just ridiculous now trying to WQ sometimes.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not a failure, having no reward also means not missing out anything for an entire year.

In fact I'd like them to be more frequently even, add some life to the world.

However , the AQ event felt different then ungoro or hippogryph one as it at least added some world quests as incentive to run AQ40/20 or silithyst.

Adding world quest to old continents is no problem, the sunday fishing event is a world quest too.

To get more participation/awareness, they could do a pop up quest that directs you to a holiday zone, like Darkmoon faire dudes will port you to the staging ground.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-03-21 at 11:00 PM.

The point of not having a reward was because they didn't want people to feel forced to do it, right? Or am I misremembering?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    are you on korgath? They CRZ us with blackrock 6 months or so back and its just ridiculous now trying to WQ sometimes.
    Yeup. Blackrock, Firetree, and another server that's usually not as bad as them.

on the plus side, the horde are *really* easy to kill provided they're not in packs of 50 since they think they're amazing because of numbers. Fun times killing 5+ horde that think they're good because they ganked with 20+ once.

The Ahn'Qiraj remembrance event was pretty good, actually. The concept of 'evergreen content', as Hazzikostas puts it, certainly doesn't detract from the larger game, and in this case Micro Holidays simply add another piece of optional outdoor content that keeps the world feeling alive.

I don't think you can define the success of an event based on attendance alone.

Did the players who took part enjoy it? For the most part, I'd say yes. Certainly no one is going to complain that these events are tedious or badly made. It's like pet battles, or the brawlers guild. Great content for those that want to take part; those that don't needn't spare a second thought for it.

I dunno. I quite enjoyed running around in Silithus (and Un'Goro) with a bunch of strangers fighting elites. It was a change from the routine, anyway.

Blizzard just proved to some players, which demanded more "not so important" content that if they don't pack them with a nice reward most of players won't touch them. The same is with WPVP and other world activities like fishing, brawlers, gurubashi, pets... Some players are just plain simple childish in 24/7 blaming blizzard for their lack of interest in playing. But in fact, they are just to lazy to go out in the "world" and do something other than raiding, mythic, wq... How many times i read a post where someone is whining how there is nothing to do outside of those 3 things. And when you counter them with all other activities the usual respond is, "I don't want to" or something like that... Some will just have to put in their heads that if they don't want to do it, its not blizzards fault but theirs. I also don't want to play golf, so I am not blaming the owner of golf field for my uninterestedness in golf...