Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    This thread is so pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Hooray for anti-intellectualism...

But yes, there's a distinct trends of politicians becoming less evidently intelligent - partly because such people make most voters feel dumb, partly because a lot of right wing media takes a deliberately anti-intellectual stance. Being smart is not a signal of virtue in the minds of a lot of voters, it's a reason to be suspicious.

Strange how politics is seemingly the only field where this is the case, however.
    Anti-intellectualism has been spawned by the pseudo-intellectualism that now dominates universities and popular culture. The left has become the real enemy of intellectualism, and perhaps the ascent of the God Emperor is just a consequence of this.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Anti-intellectualism has been spawned by the pseudo-intellectualism that now dominates universities and popular culture. The left has become the real enemy of intellectualism, and perhaps the ascent of the God Emperor is just a consequence of this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a thing for decades, even centuries at this point.

So, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    or you can just not be a giant man child and deal with it.
    I mean if the US is going to elect squalling man-babies to office who create scandals on a daily basis, can they at least find one that isn't hideous to look at?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    No anti-intellectualism is a core component of fascism. So it's much older.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    No anti-intellectualism is a core component of fascism. So it's much older.
    Arguably, anti-intellectualism is a core component of conservatism, since the masses are just supposed to not ask questions and do as they're told because reasons, although of course the people giving those orders never had any qualms about educating themselves or their children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sexism and ageism-shaming. Wow. That the most anti-liberal thing I've seen coming from a liberal.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Sexism and ageism-shaming. Wow. That the most anti-liberal thing I've seen coming from a liberal.
    Stop being so PC.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Putricide View Post
    How to deal with it?
    For those of us without the ram hog that is Chrome, I have a solution.

Realize that after 8 years of DJT, you will be blessed by having another 8 years of the wonderful IMT in the WH!

Edit:
    Hit 1080 post count posting semi-high rez image.
    Top kek.
    I don't like her teeth, but thats a nice tiddy

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop being so PC.
    OP should've said "Alternative visage".
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Honestly, Trump has one of those faces that just grates on you and gets on your nerves. This isn't necessarily directly related to looking ugly - someone may be unattractive but still have a sympathetic face, or vice versa. This isn't his fault either though and it's wrong to judge him on it, and it's in all likelihood the reason why most of his peers over time just have refused to accept him, which feeds his severe insecurities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Honestly, Trump has one of those faces that just grates on you and gets on your nerves. This isn't necessarily directly related to looking ugly - someone may be unattractive but still have a sympathetic face, or vice versa. This isn't his fault either though and it's wrong to judge him on it, and it's in all likelihood the reason why most of his peers over time just have refused to accept him, which feeds his severe insecurities.
    Nah, as someone from a moneyed family I can assure you that his distance from the rest of the upper class is more a function of him violating the golden rule - that is, being crass and in possession of bad taste. He's too gaudy and garish to fit in with the New England upper class, and too much of an 80s relic to fit in with the 'hip' tech gurus in California.

Yeah, even I felt the same.

Nah, as someone from a moneyed family I can assure you that his distance from the rest of the upper class is more a function of him violating the golden rule - that is, being crass and in possession of bad taste. He's too gaudy and garish to fit in with the New England upper class, and too much of an 80s relic to fit in with the 'hip' tech gurus in California.
    Yeah, but his looks couldn't have helped that, eh? He just doesn't have a patrician looking face, so you automatically assume that he must be new money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but his looks couldn't have helped that, eh? He just doesn't have a patrician looking face, so you automatically assume that he must be new money.
    Doesn't help that he grooms himself in a style that hasn't been fashionable since 1989 at the latest.

Doesn't help that he grooms himself in a style that hasn't been fashionable since 1989 at the latest.
    So, you being in the know about these things and what not, do rich people still talk unironically about the importance of good breeding and shit like that?

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you being in the know about these things and what not, do rich people still talk unironically about the importance of good breeding and shit like that?
    No, generally the discussion focuses more on expressions of taste - that includes regarding political causes, strangely enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    It's not his age and gender that make his face look like a deflated bean bag with roadkill on top of it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's as much expression as anything else. The pout/squint/sneer.

Although the coating of Cheetos dust isn't helping either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

The other day I found out to my surprise she was actually kind of cute when she was young.

- - - Updated - - -
    Well Donald Trump was a good looking bloke when he was younger as well.
    So whats your point?

You know I actually posted this as a joke. But it looks like a bunch of people got sore asses over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    So whats your point?

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    So whats your point?

He's aged fairly well for someone who has lived his life in the spotlight, I think. Granted, I don't find him attractive in the present day but back then he would not be someone I would consider ugly. I think a lot of people forget that he's seventy years old. How many people don't look their age at that time in their lives? I think the fact that he hasn't had any obvious, excessive plastic surgery despite his wealth is something worthy of respect.