View Poll Results: Would you bring pre-cataclysm Azeroth back?

Voters
191. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I would bring back pre-cataclysm Azeroth

97 50.79%
  • No, I would keep it the way it is now.

94 49.21%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Just bring back old desolace and thousand needles, i dont care about the rest

Nah, I got pre-Cata loremaster on main, so I saw pretty much everything there's in the old world. Questing is one time experience in Wow, cuz it's linear, so it has no replay value. To me both pre- and post-Cata locations from prev expansions are kinda useless landmasses T_T

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Poll missing 3rd option: bring it back, but don't destroy Cata zones - make old world accesible via portal in Caverns of Time.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Nah, I got pre-Cata loremaster on main, so I saw pretty much everything there's in the old world. Questing is one time experience in Wow, cuz it's linear, so it has no replay value. To me both pre- and post-Cata locations from prev expansions are kinda useless landmasses T_T
    That's pretty impressive, but let me ask you this: What kind of value do you think the old-world holds to the world (if any)?

To me, it really solidifies the setting of WoW, you feel like you are in an MMO and within the Warcraft universe. That's really important to me at least.
    Yea yea....

Fuck no. The Cataclysm world is already outdated enough. Bring it back to pre-Cata state, and it's HILARIOUSLY outdated. All it would achieve is to teach nostalgia-fueled fans of that content that you can't recreate moments in time.

There's so much they can do with leveling to make it TRULY challenging, add alternative routes of progression to max level and keeping the content relevant along with updating it visually. Bringing back content from 2004, would be just that... bringing back content from 2004...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-03-24 at 06:02 PM.

the real issue here is the group finder, their is no point on level through these zones if you can just sit in org or SW and Q up and level up faster. thats the ultimate goal a lobby like game, hence all the diablo 3 implementations. Its really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Undeadprotoss View Post
    That's pretty impressive, but let me ask you this: What kind of value do you think the old-world holds to the world (if any)?

To me, it really solidifies the setting of WoW, you feel like you are in an MMO and within the Warcraft universe. That's really important to me at least.
    ... I've never had any problems feeling that I'm "in an MMO" and "within the Warcraft universe" whilst... you know, being those things through playing the game...

If one wanted 1-60 content to stay relevant and be extremely alive, that would require it being given the same treatment as Broken Isles. The world has NEVER been more relevant and alive beyond leveling than Legion's new continent. Simple fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by berdrek View Post
    the real issue here is the group finder, their is no point on level through these zones if you can just sit in org or SW and Q up and level up faster. thats the ultimate goal a lobby like game, hence all the diablo 3 implementations. Its really sad.
    Aside from the fact that you can just choose to level through the zones if you want to see them.

I've leveled 33 characters through the 1-100 content, and I still choose to NOT utilize the dungeon finder tool when I want to play through a zone again.

They could always try to phase them zone by zone, with the option to which version you want to phase in. Kinda similiar like how they did Theramore and Nethergarde. But ideally the best solution without including it in retail is to make legacy servers, so that you can properly experience these zones from back in its time.

They already have an old version of Azshara thats used in a quest. So why not use the other older zones?

Wouldn't mind visiting them similiar to Old Theramore / Blasted Lands.

Or some Caverns of time portal, would be a decent way to make old recipes / crafting materials available.

Deleted
    Oh absolutely. Some of the zones are atrocious, and the architecture is caricaturish at times nearly comical, example... brill, tarren mill The fuck is that? Towers high? Nah, the forsaken live in the ruins humans have left behind. That is just perfect.
    On Kalimdor, zones that had a mysterious wild untouched aspect to it got destroyed, which I wouldn't mind if they didn't change them with horribly streamlined garbage full of idiotic references, shit jokes and once again caricature characters.

Cataclysm has done cataclysmic damage to wow in my opinion, but not the way they meant it.

Sure. In the form of legacy servers.

Quote Originally Posted by panalfik View Post
    I don't mind the Cata revamp - in my opinion the real issue is that the vast Azeroth serves basically no gameplay purpose nowadays. Leveling is broken in the way that dungeon spam is much more efficient than actual questing. Both Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms feel super dead, even though they're the main setting of the Warcraft franchise.

Something I'd like to see is revitalization of the old world:
    1. A complete revamp of the leveling system. Do something about heirlooms and dungeon spam. They're the biggest killers of two staple MMO elements: gear progression and open world gameplay. A zone scaling system akin to the one we have in Legion would be very welcome as well.
    2. Fill Azeroth with pockets of high-level content. Tons of small high-level subzones-within-zones (duh) scattered all around the world serving as world quests.

Good ole Azeroth deserves more than the desolate wreck it is nowadays.
    You really can't blame that on Blizzard though. BoA gear is met for alts for people that had already leveled multiple characters and didn't want to again. True it makes the world dead for new people or those that like to level through questing(like me) but that is also the players choice. Blizzard gave us the option to use such gear and the player-base jumped on it and then complained that the "world is dead" or "leveling is too easy".... I'm sorry but wasn't the player-base the ones complaining about how long it took? Then said same community complains about having nothing to do because they "zerged" through everything.

Deleted
    the "old world" is still there. so there is nothing to bring back.
    and that was stupid threads for 100.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's better to say "if you could make the revamp never happen" not necessarily that you would have to undo it.
    Then they may as well not have made the Cataclysm xpac, and that Deathwing never existed if you want to have the pre Cata Azeroth back..

Since it was Deathwing going on a rampage was the main impetus for Azeroth being changed..

And no I would not bring the old world back, because for any MMO to survive it has to change less it fade into obscurity..

I mean with the whole premise of this thread, what was the point of Blizzard making all these xpacs for the game if all people want to do is go backwards..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2017-03-24 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Fuck no. The Cataclysm world is already outdated enough. Bring it back to pre-Cata state, and it's HILARIOUSLY outdated. All it would achieve is to teach nostalgia-fueled fans of that content that you can't recreate moments in time.
    You may have not liked the game play which is a completely fair point, I would be for revamping quests, mobs, etc but while keeping the storytelling and zones themselves as intact as possible.

The old world's zones were largely based on ten years of engrossing warcraft lore, of excellent world-building. They helped cement the identities of each of the playable races, especially those of the Horde. It's where people have stored memorable experiences like Barrens chat, the huge battles between Southshore and Tarren Mill, and of course, individualized experiences as noobs.

My point is, having the old world gives World of Warcraft something that is very difficult to achieve in any game, especially in an MMO. A sense of setting and atmosphere, I argue that the existence of Vanilla WoW makes the game better overall and makes it something that is more memorable.

Of course, everyone has their own reasons for playing a game, and if you are viewing this strictly from a perspective of leveling and having plenty of alts, I get that that's a huge concern, but the reasons for reinstating certain states of the game go beyond nostalgia.

Kind of telling that people don't seem to shout "FOR THE HORDE!" since Old Orgrimma

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    the "old world" is still there. so there is nothing to bring back.
    and that was stupid threads for 100.
    The old zones that existed before Cataclysm, technically the landmass is still there but they are so dramatically different that it makes sense to describe them as two separate things.
    Yea yea....

10+ Year Old Account
    With Cataclysm and WoD, I feel like Blizzard has gone too far in tampering with the older elements of WoW (general lore of the series, old zones, etc) that hold up thematically. More than anything else, I hate that the physical world of vanilla WoW is gone forever, Cataclysm was symbolic in that sense.

If you had the choice to undo the Cataclysm world change (minus perhaps, the old zones) would you do it? Why or why not?
    No, I wouldn't want the 'old world' back. It is the same reason as I don't want classic/nostalgia realms, I like to see the development of the world. Not just a still photo.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    I voted yes, but on second thought I'd rather they updated the world once again to a post legion state.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    I voted yes, but on second thought I'd rather they updated the world once again to a post legion state.
    They would only do that for a new xpac, depending on the outcome of Legion but with how much was changed in Cata I don't think they would want to do it again..

in a heart beat.. The Old World had its charms.

No i wouldnt because some zones needed it, as they was barren and lifeless, with nothing really going on there, Silithas is still like that as when you go there, they are like "Well the blasted lands have more shit in them so go there" even give you a portal to it. How ever i do wish they change the time problem as you go Cata-tbc-wrath-cata