Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Nope. We live on a farm land and have 50 acres of land, though we're not farmers. There are farmers around and when I see them working it seems pretty exhausting and not really "fun". It also comes with odors I'm not a fan off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Would you do the farm work that illegal immigrants are often hired to do? How much of a wage would it take to get you to do it? Quite personally I think these are the kinds of jobs that highschool students could be doing. It would give them a chance to make some money and learn a hard work ethic.

I think I would do it. I've helped out before on some farms that my friends family owned and it taught me to work hard.
    #1 No I wouldn't farm, unless that was my only method to survive.

#2 We hardly need anybody working on farms when we have machines that take their jobs away. Yes, the machines took their jobs.

#3 I want high schoolers learning a programing language so we can at least remove the driver in these machines, so it's 100% automated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Nope, not capable of doing it ...
    same here don't have the strength for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Everyone would do whatever it takes to feed themselves if no one else did it for them.

What kind of entitled question is this?
    thats not the question being asked though....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    thats not the question being asked though....
    Yes, the question was "would you do farming?"

The only way you can eat is if other people provide food for you or you provide your own food.

If no one else is providing you food, then of course you would provide food for yourself, whatever it takes, even if it were farming that you had to do.

So of course everyone would do it the moment no one else will do it FOR them.

To think otherwise is living in a reality that just doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-03-26 at 05:30 AM.

If you do farm work, and you don't get a lifetime's supply of whatever you're farming while you're doing farm work, then you're never going to be compensated properly, unless you get a wage that could provide you with a lifetime's supply through your own budget as well as make up for opportunity cost of doing farm work.

If you don't get that much, and nobody makes that much aside from the owners, you're pretty much saying you'd undercut someone else who seeks employment, and are a poor person playing against another poor person to the benefit of a wealthy person.

Taking the low paying job anyway is just a necessary surrender.

If the pay reflected the effort involved and the hours were reasonable? Sure. I wouldn't want to work on a farm that made heavy use of pesticides or other dubious chemicals, though.

Deleted
    I actually did some farmwork in my teens, at a local farm that made cheese and sold it in his own store. (He actually is pretty succesful with it too now, which is awesome )

I loved doing physical work 1-2 days a week, it helped me grow physically strong and it does wonders for the mind.

I wouldn't, under pretty much any circumstances. Entirely too much work for no real reason, I wouldn't do any physical labor job, would rather blow my brains out.

Deleted
    I'd do it in a jiffy if it was an option. Not exactly prime employment with our short growing seasons.

Absolutely not. I don't even do yard work. In fact, I made sure I had desert landscaping so I would not have to do anything outside.

Would you do the farm work that illegal immigrants are often hired to do? How much of a wage would it take to get you to do it? Quite personally I think these are the kinds of jobs that highschool students could be doing. It would give them a chance to make some money and learn a hard work ethic.

I think I would do it. I've helped out before on some farms that my friends family owned and it taught me to work hard.
    No, I would not want to do that kind of work unless I really had to.

I did "farm work" when I was in high school. I quickly learned that isn't what I didn't want to do for a living for the rest of my life and got an education and a skill set. I am quite certain that is why my parents made me do it.

I've done farm work for $5.15/hour. Throwing 60 pound bales of hay around a 115 degree hayloft for 8 hours to make $40 is a pretty shitty way to spend a summer day, but I have to say that it does build some character and provide some perspective.

Now? I guess I'd do it for about $60/hour or something in that ballpark. If a friend needed an extra hand, I'd just do it for free or have them buy me lunch and a beer or something, but if it's a truly transactional situation, I think it'd be irrational to do it for less than I can make doing much easier labor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    I'd give it a try, sure, especially if the pay is good. My problem is that I'm overweight and have bad knees. While the former would be worked out in time from hours upon days upon weeks of physical labor and build some good muscle, the latter can only be mitigated somewhat. Considering how pale and light-sensitive I am I'd need sunscreen and sunglasses, though.
    A lot of the guys I worked with just wore long sleeves even when it was hot out. Sunburn in the fields and scratched up arms from hay were nasty enough that it's worth it to just sweat a lot.

But yeah, bad knees is not great for it. Most farm work is pretty hard on the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I did "farm work" when I was in high school. I quickly learned that isn't what I didn't want to do for a living for the rest of my life and got an education and a skill set. I am quite certain that is why my parents made me do it.
    That is also why I had my daughters get fastfood jobs when they turned 16.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Yes, the question was "would you do farming?"

The only way you can eat is if other people provide food for you or you provide your own food.

If no one else is providing you food, then of course you would provide food for yourself, whatever it takes, even if it were farming that you had to do.

So of course everyone would do it the moment no one else will do it FOR them.

To think otherwise is living in a reality that just doesn't exist.
    i think your having trouble comprehending the question. the question wasn't "would you do farming if that was the only option left to ensure you would be able to eat?" it was "would you do farming" no extra context that i can see in that question as there are a lot of other farmers farming.

i see nothing in there about being forced to farm to survive. just asking if you would do farmwork or not.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I grew up on a farm.
    Remember kiddies, hope was the last evil in Pandora's box.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, why would I do that when I can get a far better paying job?

People do farm work because it is the only repeatable quest that does not aggro any guards and gives money.

Y'know what. I might be down with some amenities. Sometime in the future. If I lived in a consistently cloudy area like ireland or the northwest.

I enjoy working with plants.

Quit playing for the foreseeable future.

I don't mind manual labor that doesn't involve constant bending over.

Even when I did hard wood floor installing/refinishing a good set of knee pads was all I needed and I just stayed down. However bending up and down infinite times is garbage.