Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveh View Post
    legacy servers? why are people still talking about this topic.

They aren't doing them. ever. get over it.
    People said the same thing about server transfers. And faction transfers. And buyable gold. And the ingame shop. And ...

I'd say the chances for legacy servers are pretty good as long as people keep asking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    this is exactly what'll happen and blizzard knows it. probably a huge reason they won't also do them. then you also have the people that would bitch and moan that it's not like the original vanilla if they did fix all these problems
    "If you cannot make absolutely everyone happy it's better to make nobody happy at all." - Vichan, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by throwaway-o View Post
    People said the same thing about server transfers. And faction transfers. And buyable gold. And the ingame shop. And ...

I'd say the chances for legacy servers are pretty good as long as people keep asking.

- - - Updated - - -

"If you cannot make absolutely everyone happy it's better to make nobody happy at all." - Vichan, 2017
    Not what i said at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    All that data on your disk isn't the server data that the data on your disks needs. And let's not go and point at private servers for that since they are buggy messes.
    Are you serious? We never talked about server data. The guy said "Orgrimmar" is different now so they couldn't just "copypaste" it over, referring to the Orgrimmar we have on retail now, which is the revamped one from Cataclysm. But on the Vanilla disc are the game files, including Orgrimmar and every other city and place. You could install that on your PC and go through the files. The data is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luger View Post
    ... but they do have the resources to unnecessarily remaster an old game like Starcraft?

How many people asked for Vanilla servers and how many people asked for a remastered Starcraft?

They wouldn't even have to update any graphics for Vanilla WoW lol

It's literally a copy and paste.
    The reality is the job was probably done by low level employees or even interns.

Starcraft is a much more popular game. World of Warcraft would get a million subscribers at most.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    Not what i said at all.
    You implied that because some people will nag about some things when a classic server goes live - whether it's people complaining about changes to those servers or people complaining about a lack of changes - they'd better not make any servers at all. In fact, people who hate flying complain when flying is implemented and people who love flying complain when it's not. By your logic, Blizz should just not make any expansions anymore because some asshole will always complain.

According to the front page news, the SC remaster took about a year to complete. Thus, it is not a stretch to think that a vanilla server touch-up would literally take forever, unless Blizzard;

A) Hired the required personnel to finish sooner, which might make the whole project dangerously unprofitable.
    B) Divided their current personnel between this new project and their current one, which would delay their next big release.

In the end, we simply don't have enough information to speculate. We know that there is a major Diablo project on the horizon, so it would be dubious to assume that anyone at Blizzard is twiddling their thumbs at this point in time.

That isn't to say that thumb-twiddling can't be productive - I get some of my best strokes of creativity when I stim - but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by throwaway-o View Post
    You implied that because some people will nag about some things when a classic server goes live - whether it's people complaining about changes to those servers or people complaining about a lack of changes - they'd better not make any servers at all. In fact, people who hate flying complain when flying is implemented and people who love flying complain when it's not. By your logic, Blizz should just not make any expansions anymore because some asshole will always complain.
    not really what i said or implied. more of that blizzard doesn't see the effort worth the headaches it'll cause from the bitching either way. that combined with it's probably not really financially viable for them to do means it'll most likely not happen

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    An example of yet another armchair developer who thinks they know better than everyone else.

It is not a copy and paste. The database they have today does not work with what they had a decade ago. There have been enormous changes in hardware, graphics standards, security, etc that are incompatible with their old code base without significant investment in updating it without breaking the original feel and function.

This is just as apparent to any development company. Just this last week I had to completely rebuild - 3 day job - a service that order and loads Netspend prepaid debit cards for our point of sale system because they're moving to TLS 1.1/1.2 and our existing .NET 3.5 codebase couldn't support it. I had to develop a separate 4.6 service and build a new Server 2012 platform because IIS 7.0 doesn't support it either.

That's just one example, and a simple one, in the end. A system as large and as old as WoW will have dozens of those kind of issues, probably more. Their code is nearly 5 years older than ours, at a time when DirectDraw was common. It is not a copy & paste job.
    Here is the only answer that matters and a major one on why we will never see legacy servers, but yet it is ignored >.> people think coding is easy and that developers keep ALL their old shit around, and leave old code in the game when the update it... Most of what made vanilla what it was is gone, like, never to be seen again gone and Blizz won't turn to some dude running WoW Vanilla Blizzlike x12 lololworld in his basement for their somewhat working server code.

... but they do have the resources to unnecessarily remaster an old game like Starcraft?

How many people asked for Vanilla servers and how many people asked for a remastered Starcraft?

Blizzard is a small indie company who is understaffed and underfunded.

Remaster is literally the same Starcraft, same servers, same mechanics. Vanilla servers have different coding and different servers.

Deleted
    Just wait until 2024 so they can do the 20th anniversary special.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    That is correct.

could you prove this bullshit claim of yours?
    (5 ppl aint tons)
    Ok come on... I don't thin legacy would work. But we have to agree there is atleast 10k players. And I call that tons.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by pfbe View Post
    Atm, twitch viewers for each game are at:
    • Hearthstone: 180k
    • Ogrewatch: 30k
    • WoW: 21k
    • SC2: 9k (50% from a single stream)
    • Heroes of the Sadface: 5k (25% from a single stream)
    • D3: 800 viewers, it's dead Jim

Pretty sure I was on point, but then again, some people seem to think everything Blizzard makes is gold-pressed latinum :/
    To be fair, D3 has a new season starting next week so the numbers are expected to go up. But yeah, D3 was doing amazing with the expansion, but blizz just stopped caring. It was legit succesful but they decided to focus on other projects and leave a ghost team.

I always forget how much of a failure Heroes has ended up. I suppose thats what happens when you constantly ignore people yelling that you're doing it wrong in the alpha and beta.

A good bit of those SC2 streams are also custom games and co-op commander.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    Blizzard is a small indie company who is understaffed and underfunded.
    You dont seem to understand that blizzard has multiple projects running at once and cant just throw people on a project and expect them to work well on it.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Daveh View Post
    legacy servers? why are people still talking about this topic.

They aren't doing them. ever. get over it.
    Kinda like PvP server transfers. Or faction changes. Or several other game\company changes one would find with actual search instead of merely on top of my head.

-

On topic: It's not a matter of being unable to, but them finding it not being profitable in doing so. Whomever believes it's due to resources (other than money, that is) invested, or the lack of these, or it being too hard to accomplish\code, is simply not that smart of a person.

a SMALL percentage of wow players want vanilla servers dude. most people who play starcraft LOVE it...there is a large difference.

They have the ressources for legacy servers. They just don't want to waste them on 500 people that would pay for outdated shit. Sounds reasonable.

No, thats not it.
    They belive that it would cost more to keep such servers going than it would be worth.
    It's not that they can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleax View Post
    Provided they still have all what was in Vanilla. They didn't kept the old map of Southshore for example for the 10th anniversary, they had to make it again. Also, I am too sure if Blizz would like to split the community with Legion servers and Vanilla servers. Or if it would be beneficial for Blizzard at all.
    The map still exists in game for the Escape from Durnholde map.

Why are you lying, friend?

People will actually pay money for Starcraft. There is no extra money for Vanilla servers because we all know the biggest reason people play Vanilla servers is that it is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro