Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionhearte0 View Post
    The map still exists in game for the Escape from Durnholde map.

Why are you lying, friend?
    Lol, this is your second account, buddy? Why would I lie??? Ask you this question and come back. Blizzard said it themselves back then when the 10th anniversary was a thing, try to read what they wrote sometimes.

I swear, too many randoms this evening...

Ah, my favorite pro-Legacy fallacy. That any remaster of any game is somehow equatable to the amount of effort a legitimate Legacy realm would require.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luger View Post
    ... but they do have the resources to unnecessarily remaster an old game like Starcraft?

How many people asked for Vanilla servers and how many people asked for a remastered Starcraft?

They wouldn't even have to update any graphics for Vanilla WoW lol

It's literally a copy and paste.

Not me I asked for remastered warcraft 2 in HD 64 bit...
    Why because that game blows warcraft 3 outta the water and was always so much fun

Nobody really wants Vanilla servers, that's your answer. People are caught up in nostalgia and the second a legacy server is released, it will bomb faster than a low budget movie.

The map? I have the old version of world of warcraft sitting right here. In fact anyone does that has the old Warcraft CD's its part of the MPQ files and contains the entire world. The only thing thats missing is the server code which is out there in the web. Otherwise all these private servers would not be out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pfbe View Post
    Atm, twitch viewers for each game are at:
    • Hearthstone: 180k
    • Ogrewatch: 30k
    • WoW: 21k
    • SC2: 9k (50% from a single stream)
    • Heroes of the Sadface: 5k (25% from a single stream)
    • D3: 800 viewers, it's dead Jim

Pretty sure I was on point, but then again, some people seem to think everything Blizzard makes is gold-pressed latinum :/
    HOTS is the 5th most watched game on Twitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleax View Post
    Provided they still have all what was in Vanilla. They didn't kept the old map of Southshore for example for the 10th anniversary, they had to make it again. Also, I am too sure if Blizz would like to split the community with Legion servers and Vanilla servers. Or if it would be beneficial for Blizzard at all.
    What even... Do you realize that map files are in the game? All pre cata private servers have normal southshore like I'm vanilla (plus draenei quest giver added in bc or WotLK in the inn)

Deleted

It really doesn't work like that.

Deleted
    I think Blizzard started by saying they didnt have the code anymore AND THEN they said they actually have it.

So...i think blizzard has the code.

The remaster looks fucking stupid.

Slightly better graphics, and scaled up for 1080p? Damn what an amazing new game it's going to suddenly become! And to top it all off, you have to pay for it instead of them being an actual company that rewards its consumers like it used to and giving it to us who have owned SC/BW for nearly 20 years.

The only way Remaster deserves to have a price attached to it is if they redid the entire graphical style to be like SC2 and built the game up from there. Not just make the graphics look slightly less terrible.

Who gives a shit if it looks like the old game. The old game looks like dogshit now. Its nearly 20 years old.

Blizzard just doing what they do well in the last few years: tricking people into buying a subpar product with nostalgia.

That doesn't change the fact that the work required to make a vanilla server would be fucking insane.

Only a moron would compare Remastering Starcraft to Vanilla Servers...

How about you list all the ways the projects would be similar? Here are a few starter questions:

1) Are they similar scope?
    2) Does one require more or less network and server infrastructure and staff?
    3) Have vanilla zones/quests changed since release thus requiring reverting back to prior code? Can you say the same about starcraft?
    4) Do you know if Starcraft was done in house or by a third party with Blizzard's permission thus saving them time and money which would limit their interest otherwise?

You think you do, but you don't...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Redoing Starcraft the original is a massively different kind of project then doing vanilla servers. If you can't see that, that's your problem.
    You beat me to it.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

... but they do have the resources to unnecessarily remaster an old game like Starcraft?

How many people asked for Vanilla servers and how many people asked for a remastered Starcraft?

The team remaking the games is separate from the WoW team. They've been hiring for it, for quite a while - and I guarantee you it's a fraction of the size required to make legacy servers.

Deleted

oi watch your language young man. nobody is being mean to good old starcraft

Quote Originally Posted by pfbe View Post
    Atm, twitch viewers for each game are at:
    • Hearthstone: 180k
    • Ogrewatch: 30k
    • WoW: 21k
    • SC2: 9k (50% from a single stream)
    • Heroes of the Sadface: 5k (25% from a single stream)
    • D3: 800 viewers, it's dead Jim

Pretty sure I was on point, but then again, some people seem to think everything Blizzard makes is gold-pressed latinum :/
    So the viewers on twitch is all that matters to you? Thank god that is not the metric normal people use when judging if a game is popular or making money. Then again you could run over to Blizz HQ and give them this 'important' data.

There's a big difference between running MMORPG servers and developing a game. Even more of a difference between developing a game and merely updating the graphics. As far as I can tell, SC remastered will be using the same servers, even.

10+ Year Old Account
    Provided they still have all what was in Vanilla. They didn't kept the old map of Southshore for example for the 10th anniversary, they had to make it again. Also, I am too sure if Blizz would like to split the community with Legion servers and Vanilla servers. Or if it would be beneficial for Blizzard at all.
    To be fair, the Southshore/Tarren Mill map probably wasn't all that much work. The vanilla Hillsbrad map still exists, in full, in Escape from Durnholde Keep with only some cosmetic alterations (Durnholde Keep is intact and there's a cave bleeding into the Caverns of Time that wasn't there on the live map). And we know that, on some level, they retain the old maps; the Highmountain quest lines involve several where you take the role of Huln Highmountain in the War of the Ancients, and the quests use the vanilla Azshara map.

On-topic, if Legacy happens at this point it's more likely to be an HD remaster using the new character models and Legion-quality environment and NPC graphics rebuilding the old world. It will likely also be a separate box purchase to justify the costs involved. It will also likely rely on sales/long-term retention for SC Remaster and, hypothetically speaking, WC3/DII remasters to ensure the player base is there for it and haven't moved on for greener pastures beyond any hope of getting them back. The tradeoff is it will probably be buy-to-play to keep it from alienating players currently on retail who don't want to juggle multiple subscriptions to the same game, and any support post-launch will probably be restricted to gradual content rollouts and a GM staff.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    WoW is still comercially "available" and those servers can hurt their income
    I honestly can't see how. It's not like their legacy servers would be free to play on, and people would join back to play, thereby upping the sub count / income coming in each month. Legacy servers would literally be getting no new content, just a graphics update in the same way that Starcraft is.

Hell, Starcraft is getting updated and audio, and adding matchmaking, ladder, social features, and more. If they can do that for a 20 year old game, I think a few graphical updates for 12 year old Vanilla WoW servers shouldn't be too hard.

Oh boy. Blizzard erased old Southshore in Cata, and Southshore, for the 10th anniversary BG Southshore vs Tarren Mill, had to be remade from scratch, well because old southshore data was lost since then.

Blizzard though called the same designer who made Original Southshore, and he made it again from memory.

There you go, "your nonsense".

When you don't understand, you should ask your question. By "map", I pretty much mean how old Southshore was set up (teh detailed map of the village) not the map of Eastern Kingdom or Hillsbrad foothills....
    The old map of old south shore, the whole 3d model has never been lost to anyone. It is on the original vanilla installation disk, anyone with the right skills could get the 3d model from the files. Blizzard had more then one of these copies around, and probably also on one of their servers. Secondly the map they used isn't a new map, its the old map retouched.