Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Donald Trump suggests he will change libel laws due to negative coverage

Donald Trump suggests he will change libel laws due to negative coverage of his presidency (edited to fit)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7658406.html

Donald Trump has suggested that US libel laws could potentially be changed, in a tweet about negative press coverage of his presidency - particularly in The New York Times.

In the tweet, the President has accused The New York Times of having "disgraced the media" by getting him "wrong for two solid years". Mr Trump added at the end - in typically ambiguous style - "Change libel laws?"

It is not the first time Mr Trump has suggested a potential change in libel laws, having done so on the campaign trail early last year. But doing so would be difficult, but technically not impossible. Libel is currently a matter of state law - limited by the First Amendment - with a president unable to change state law.

However, he could potential change the principles of the First Amendment, either through the Supreme Court or through changing the Constitution itself. Both routes would be extremely difficult, with a number of other rulings or obstacles that would need to be overturned.

The newspaper has regularly been on the receiving end of Mr Trump’s ire. He often refers to them as “failing” and biased against him, but also used their headlines to justify his accusations on Twitter that former President Obama had Trump Tower wiretapped during the 2016 presidential election.

In the previous 24 hours, Mr Trump called the newspaper's coverage of him is “now worse” then it has ever been and repeating a false claim that the newspaper apologised to readers about their 2016 election coverage.

There was never an apology issued by the paper, as Mr Trump suggested in his tweet. Publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr. and executive editor Dean Baquet did however write a letter to readers after the election in November promising to “rededicate” its resources to responsible, unbiased news reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Donald Trump suggests he will change libel laws due to negative coverage of his presidency (edited to fit)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7658406.html
    He said something about this during his campaign and no one believed that he was going to go through with trying to silence the press, but here we are, him suggesting it again. This isn't about him wanting to silence false information, that I could understand. He wants to silence NEGATIVE information about him and people he doesn't want criticized. Like his cabinet and Putin. This is how fascism continues, not starts, but continues.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of all the dumb shit Trump said he'd do, I was very sure this was one of the ones he'd end up forgetting about.

We all know the liberal left biased newspapers are awful, tho I think Trump must accept that they are his enemies and try to live on like all republican presidents since 60s did before.

But we got to admit that he is the first republican president to openly confront the media thats been playing on dems side for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I knew it was only a matter of time before he brought that up again. Here's your actual enemy of free speech righties

Yes, because all Democratic leaders need the capability to sue our free press. Fucking piece of shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Yeah I knew it was only a matter of time before he brought that up again. Here's your actual enemy of free speech righties
    Next is throw judges in jail, who rule against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Yes, because all Democratic leaders need the capability to sue our free press. Fucking piece of shit.
    Do you realise that the media are not gods and they also must be accountable for what they type?
    I actually hope that Trump sues CNN or some otehr shit just for luls and precedent.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Trump says we will, that's almost a sure bet we wont.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitro View Post
    Do you realise that the media are not gods and they also must be accountable for what they type?
    I actually hope that Trump sues CNN or some otehr shit just for luls and precedent.
    Why would he? He'd lose. Not liking what they say is far different from it being defamatory or untrue.

This isn't a surprise at all, he has stated for a very long time that he has a problem with the First Amendment. I'm just waiting for all the hypocritical conservatives to jump aboard the nonsense train.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean the media will have to back up their bullshit claims??? My god what insanity is this??????????
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Why would he? He'd lose. Not liking what they say is far different from it being defamatory or untrue.
    True, but there were a couple of instances of some media outlets misinforming the population or giving out unchecked info about trump or his associates ( like Buzzfeed a couple of times)
    Damn Trump suing Buzzfeed would be fucking epic

And when he loses, he can pay their legal bills, and they will mock him even more. Why does Trump hate freedom so much?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    You mean the media will have to back up their bullshit claims??? My god what insanity is this??????????
    You mean like Trump hasn't been doing for years?

I'm still waiting on that proof of Obama's birth certificate he said he saw five years ago.

Oh yes I can't wait for Trump to sue CNN on their reporting about inauguration sizes, his claim that the unemployment rate is 42%, that Obama tapped his phones. I mean Trump is such a truth teller, I hope he does change libel laws since there will be a metric ton of lawsuits on just the stuff he tweets on Saturdays.

Why do you instnatly think he would lose?
    Quite sure he can pick some previous biased articles with misinformation ( of which there were many during his 2015-2016 campaign) and quite easily win.

But it will also cause the tremendous outrage among the internet libs and the media "TRUMP SHUTTING DOWN FREE SPEECH! IMPEACH!" and for him its probably not a smart move. But we shall see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Oh yes I can't wait for Trump to sue CNN on their reporting about inauguration sizes, his claim that the unemployment rate is 42%, that Obama tapped his phones. I mean Trump is such a truth teller, I hope he does change libel laws since there will be a metric ton of lawsuits on just the stuff he tweets on Saturdays.
    you realize the difference between an individual and a media outlet , right?

You do realize he has attacked more than just media outlets, right?

Why do you instnatly think he would lose?
    Quite sure he can pick some previous biased articles with misinformation ( of which there were many during his 2015-2016 campaign) and quite easily win.

But it will also cause the tremendous outrage among the internet libs and the media "TRUMP SHUTTING DOWN FREE SPEECH! IMPEACH!" and for him its probably not a smart move. But we shall see.

- - - Updated - - -

He would lose, because he is trying to go against the 1st Amendment of the United States Constitution, and our libel laws are heavily in favor of freedom of speech. Not only does he have facts and fact checkers against him, he also has the laws against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    You do realize he has attacked more than just media outlets, right?
    ok, you dont.

Make it clear for you.

An individual can say something like
    "OBAMA IS AN ALIEN" and get away with it.

A media outlet will suffer legal consequences.

Study some basics of our laws for gods sake.

ok, you dont.

Make it clear for you.

An individual can say something like
    "OBAMA IS AN ALIEN" and get away with it.

A media outlet will suffer legal consequences.

Study some basics of our laws for gods sake.
    No, you may want to look at those laws again. Since he is a public figure, almost anything is fair game. The burden of proof will be on him, and it is rarely successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    He would lose, because he is trying to go against the 1st Amendment of the United States Constitution, and our libel laws are heavily in favor of freedom of speech. Not only does he have facts and fact checkers against him, he also has the laws against him.
    You clearly have no clue of the rules that every media outlet must follow.
    If it misinforms its readers then its breaking the law and not covered by the first amendment.