Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Source? Obama allowed not much access to the media.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/o...bama.html?_r=0

And NYT is pretty anti Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Did you read the article? It was about Obama attacking whiste blowers not suing the media for libel.

Criticism of Mr. Obama’s stance on press freedom, government transparency and secrecy is hotly disputed by the White House, but many journalism groups say the record is clear. Over the past eight years, the administration has prosecuted nine cases involving whistle-blowers and leakers, compared with only three by all previous administrations combined. It has repeatedly used the Espionage Act, a relic of World War I-era red-baiting, not to prosecute spies but to go after government officials who talked to journalists.
    I can agree with that subject in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowlithic View Post
    Excuse me, excuse me! I know you guys are upset and all but you lost! The fundamental problem with Democrats is following the laws. President Trump is the law and order president.
    And the law is clear, it's not libel or defamation. Trump is whining, because he's being picked on by others... and he can't have them arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Of all the dumb shit Trump said he'd do, I was very sure this was one of the ones he'd end up forgetting about.
    That's because unlike the POTUS you aren't an unhinged narcissist.

His image is actually more important to him than any of his actual actions as President.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    WTF does that mean?
    Dictatorial States of America
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

So he can change the law to stop people telling the truth about his bullshit? Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitro View Post
    Do you realise that the media are not gods and they also must be accountable for what they type?
    I actually hope that Trump sues CNN or some otehr shit just for luls and precedent.
    cnn lol, As bad as CNN can be they dont' compare to fox, breitbart, info wars, or they don't count?

Deleted
    In a way, it's only logical that Trump acts like this.
    No matter which big problem we have, crime, poverty, terrorism, refugee crisis, our answer is always to come up with laws or forceful measures to fight the symptoms, not the cause.
    From that angle it makes perfect sense that Trump would rather sue the media for their negative coverage instead of taking a look at his own behaviour that warranted it.

He doesn't want to change libel laws. Truth is an absolute defense to libel and slander. He couldn't possibly win on most of the stuff printed no matter how "open" the libel laws. Trump wants lèse majesté laws that just make it illegal to criticize the guy in charge.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He cannot change laws like that without congressional approval. If he gets it, then it is being done according to the Constitution and I am fine with it. If it is challenged and the Supreme Court rules against the law change, I will be fine with that also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    You are in the wrong country. Move to Russia already.
    Because the Constitution says how we do things here and not a bunch of belly aching cry babies?

No thanks. I am staying right here.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-03-31 at 02:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    If Trump says we will, that's almost a sure bet we wont.
    Pretty much sum up his first 100 days with this one liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Because the Constitution says how we do things here and not a bunch of belly aching cry babies?

No thanks. I am staying right here.
    Just because the constitution says something is ok doesn't mean it's ok. That's why we've had to amend the constitution in the past.

He can try and he will fail. He knows that he would fail if he tried, but he'll say it anyways and says a lot of crap cause he's so triggered all the time.

Please, please tell me how printing stuff like ''no, this was not the biggest inauguration ever'' compare to the drivel pushed every day by Breitbart ?

Jade Helm ! Muslims ! Birth certificate ! MUSLIMS ! Pizzas ! MUSLIMS !!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Just because the constitution says something is ok doesn't mean it's ok. That's why we've had to amend the constitution in the past.
    Yes. I know that. And there is a process for doing it. And it is not based on popular opinion. There have been over 11,000 attempts to amend the Constitution and only 28 successful ones. It is not a easy process to do by design.

I have disagreed with some past Supreme Court decisions, but it is a decision made according to the Constitutional process. So I am ok with it. Not that I would agree with it. That is what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitro View Post
    ok, you dont.

Make it clear for you.

An individual can say something like
    "OBAMA IS AN ALIEN" and get away with it.

A media outlet will suffer legal consequences.

Study some basics of our laws for gods sake.
    Fun fact, I have and you are so widely off-based about how libel laws are applied to political figures it's funny.

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/sui...l-advertising/

Basically, thanks to numerous court rulings (including SCOTUS rulings), it's insanely hard for a political figure to win a libel or slander lawsuit. It's why political ads can say damn near anything they want and get away with it. So maybe you should study some basic laws, along with the precedents that help shape how those laws are applied?

Uh huh, good luck with that, keep building up the case for removal as a crazy person.

Trump won't sue because he is too big of a pussy to sue, at least while he is President. When he is forced out of office maybe he will sue the media claiming he lost out on billions of dollars he would've made if he had stayed President.

Trump already is crying about a lawsuit against him over some Apprentice shit. Trump claims he is immune because he is President.

Also this would result in financial ruin for Fox News. They already have enough troubles after paying out tens of millions of dollars to settle perverts O'Reilly and Ailes sexual harassment cases. And those are the ones we know about. They also are facing lawsuits over spying on and harassing employees.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Donald Trump suggests he will change libel laws due to negative coverage of his presidency (edited to fit)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7658406.html

"...However, he could potential change the principles of the First Amendment, either through the Supreme Court or through changing the Constitution itself. Both routes would be extremely difficult, with a number of other rulings or obstacles that would need to be overturned"
    I like how folks are getting worked up over stuff where they have no idea how it works.

1) The Supreme court can't change amendments
    2) The POTUS can't change the constitution.

Granted, I'm sure Trump doesn't understand his role either, but seem like 8 years of Obama telling everyone that he was going to make and change laws has a lot of folks confused about what it is that the President of the U.S. actually does.