Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Levels aint the problem, WoW is just got to big with the zones.
    Way to many zones to be in.
    Very true. Admitting a level squish and a number (stat) squish across the board are due too and are very needed.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Imagine how new players must feel seeing these level caps? They are lollygagging around at like level 27 slowly leveling, and then it hits them that they need to level 83 more times to get to cap, I would imagine that would be pretty disheartening.
    If you are "disheartened" that there is a huge amount of content ahead of you in the game, then perhaps you should be playing a different game. Instead you should feel ecstatic that there is much more content to play through.

The great tragedy of WoW is that there is such a huge amount of content in the game, but the game design obsoletes everything except the latest patch. It would be awesome if they started new servers that were tuned to the original pace and figured out a way to make all the content current (e.g., having to clear all raid content before being able to progress to the next xpac). While they're at it, they could update the post-TBC content into the vanilla/TBC model (no LFG/LFR, one difficulty level, attunements to every raid, no automatic access to new stuff in every patch, etc.)

Between getting a chance to see all the things I missed, and the nostalgia of meaningfully revisiting all the things that I did, I would probably spend years on such servers.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I think level cap should always be 100. Old world scaled to 1-90 and new zones always 90-100. With new expansion every max level is back to 90.

It would be mainly for new players of course (they don't realize that old expansion levels are very fast to get), but veteran people would also benefit from this. Imagine how easier would be rerolling to new server, or return to different class after few expansion - that char would await for you with level 90.

They have to do something at some point, right?
    Nope, they don't.
    *World* of Warcraft is huge and is still getting bigger.
    Maybe we do hit Level 150 in ten years - so what? That is just a number.

Remove complexity for new players? Why?
    And to really do so they would need to remove old content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    People hitting level 27 would notice how fast it is to level...
    Exactly. Also you get a level boost with the expansion, so if you just want endgame you click that button and BOOM you are just as high level as everyone else. You are doing the same quests etc.
    Gap closed.

Deleted
    Does Wow even attract new players? The newest people I know came in MoP.... If each expansion only pulls say 300k new people each expansion then we don't need to do anything

Deleted
    I think the people who claim that levelling is easy think so because they've been playing the game for a while.

They probably have five alts, heirlooms, and a decent understanding of the game.

A new player on the other hand, depending on their previous gaming history, might not.

HOWEVER, Blizzard has already introduced character boosts, that come with new expansions, and they can also be bought in the store, so I don't think it's a massive issue, 110 or 120 or whatever the next level cap will be, isn't so far away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    I think the people who claim that levelling is easy think so because they've been playing the game for a while.

They probably have five alts, heirlooms, and a decent understanding of the game.

A new player on the other hand, depending on their previous gaming history, might not.

HOWEVER, Blizzard has already introduced character boosts, that come with new expansions, and they can also be bought in the store, so I don't think it's a massive issue, 110 or 120 or whatever the next level cap will be, isn't so far away.
    60 euros for a boost though, kinda overpriced bullshit.
    That's as much as Digital deluxe edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

The problem is that leveling hasnt had any new innovations to make it more interesting. See my sig where i propose to massively expand the concept of leveling to make it its own progression path. In my idea, you never stop leveling, when you hit max level, you get the option of attempting an epic questline to earn the right to reset to level 1 and start over and in the process get to select from a number of special rewards.

One of the best thngs about this is that content never goes obsolete.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    seems like a pretty good option to me if you consider the spectacal creep is reached a level in legion that cant be topped

im seriously intressted what blizzard plan are after legion i mean as wow devs claimed themself and like in every other rpg you want to see your character grow and be more powerfull. What i mean by this is if there is gonna be a another expansion after legion (and this is i think pretty certain) we gonna leave legion obviously behind. So im gonna replace ashbringer with what, a quest green and instead being a highlord of my class i a adventurer schmock again?

seems pretty asinine to me honestly
    Well im a shaman with DOOMHAMMER and some scrub faction on the broken isles still wont trust me until a kill a bunch of shellfish for months.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Its just a number.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    No, the problem is they removed the Cata "bug" that allowed fresh chars to learn flight paths as they levelled up to corresponding zones, and we have too few means to get to remote questing zones except "ride slowly throughout a continent" or "pester someone with a 2-seater flying mount". It's super lame the amount of time it takes to get to some remote questing locations such a Feralas / Eastern Plaguelands as Alliance, and pretty sure Horde has their "too far away" zones too.

In TBC Blade's Edge and Netherstorm suffer from this syndrome. In WOTLK it's better, the only super remote zone is Sholazar and the intro quest from Dalaran insta teleports you there.
    absolutely agree with you, but an FYI alliance can speak to the npc next to teleporter in booty bay to get a free port to plaguelands
    Found out by accident when leveling an alt, gives you quest to report there then ports you

How often does level actually matter beyond being at the current cap?

I don't think the meager benefits are worth the effort.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    They have level squishes for that. Other than that, levels are just a number and their overall power is ultimately determined by the balance teams.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    60 euros for a boost though, kinda overpriced bullshit.
    That's as much as Digital deluxe edition.
    It's free per expansion

Not really. While fast relative to pretty much any time in the past, it is still pretty slow when you have no heirlooms, no idea what you are doing, where you are going, etc... Especially if you are just a normal person playing an hour or two a day.
    But then you're new to the game and haven't done that content before, so it's still interesting to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Why do I imagine behind each of these threads (this ain't first) is someone too lazy to level up hiding behind fake concern for "new players"?

What next, achievement point squish? Mount number squish? Because new player will be overwhelmed by all that content! Will someone think of the children... err sorry... new players?

There's absolutely no need to squish level count, it's just a number.

Now stat squish that's another story, it creates actual issues while levelling up, namely big power gaps when you jump between last level of old expansion and first level of new expansion, often it required you in the past to switch whole set of gear to be able to kill mobs and queue for dungeons.
    Agreed 100%

10+ Year Old Account
    I've considered if they might just faze out expansions, have us skip continents entirely since their content is so outdated. I'd be fine with it, but I could see a lot of backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    The fact that leveling is easy and relatively fast doesn't matter. .
    It does matter. You are contradicting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    In my idea, you never stop leveling, when you hit max level, you get the option of attempting an epic questline to earn the right to reset to level 1 and start over and in the process get to select from a number of special rewards.
    Because that worked so well with honor levels and prestige...

Deleted
    no, we dont need a level squish
    #1 boost
    #2 leveling is so fast anyway.