10+ Year Old Account

Win10 installation question

Hey all.
    I have an Acer laptop with a frustrating 5400rpm sata hd. I'm wanting to replace it with a cheap SSD.
    It came with win10 home installed. I don't have a physical copy of windows. I was wondering
    if there is a way to use the key registered with the pre-installed copy, to re-install it on the new SSD?

Like just download win10 home to a usb and then use the product key from when it was installed on the 5400rpm hd?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Hey all.
    I have an Acer laptop with a frustrating 5400rpm sata hd. I'm wanting to replace it with a cheap SSD.
    It came with win10 home installed. I don't have a physical copy of windows. I was wondering
    if there is a way to use the key registered with the pre-installed copy, to re-install it on the new SSD?

Like just download win10 home to a usb and then use the product key from when it was installed on the 5400rpm hd?
    just get a win10 activator, easy to get and keeps your windows 10 registered forever, so you will always get latest updates etc, my mate did it so im sure it can work.

Infracted - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2017-04-03 at 01:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are these activators legit? I dont want to do anything shady/illegal, no offense to your mate. Just not my cup o tea =)

Hey all.

Most likely it will activate itself using your current Win10 key stored in BIOS. And you don't need MS account or anything. And it's 100% legal. Also, this key should be on a sticker at the bottom of your laptop, in case something will go wrong with BIOS activation. Just be sure to install exact edition of Windows (Home, in your case)..
    Last edited by Wingerie; 2017-04-02 at 02:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oddly enough there is no win10 stick anywhere on the laptop, first thing i looked for.

Don't worry, if you have connected to the internet while using the previous windows installation, the new one will automatically get activated. It's bound to the hardware, so as long as you don't change your motherboard and/or CPU, you're fine, it will activate on its own. If you need a physical media to install windows from, go here:

www microsoft com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

and follow the instructions. You can easily create a win 10 installation on a flash drive, which is much much faster than disks. The only problem might be booting from the flash drive, which depends on your BIOS/UEFI settings. You could ask people, or the company that made your computer if you don't know how to change the boot sequence (in case that USB/CDs don't have priority over hard drives)

Imho, you should be asking on another forum, like linustechtips or a Q&A site like superuser .

Hey all.

Replaceing the Storage drive will not prevent you from reactivating with its current key. the only parts that will cause conflict with the key if changed are the CPU and MoBo.

TLDR: Yes it will work just fine.

as a note Win 10 auto activates by a hardware key it generates when first activated. so all you need to do is replace the drive install win 10 and it will activate when you go online no manual key entry required.
    Last edited by krunksmash; 2017-04-02 at 10:59 PM.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.