Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Russia spread fake news during Dutch election, secret service AIVD reports

source

Russia tried to influence last month’s Dutch election by spreading fake news, according to the annual report of the Dutch intelligence service AIVD, published Tuesday.

Rob Bertholee, the head of AIVD, told local media that Moscow did not succeed in “substantially influencing” the election process.

“I think they have tried to push voters in the wrong direction by spreading news items that are not true, or partially true,” Bertholee said, without mentioning specific examples.

According to the report, the threat from Russia to the Netherlands and Europe is higher than a year ago and Russia is “extremely active in espionage,” and not just during elections.

“In its efforts to position itself as a superpower, Russia is not afraid of using Cold War methods to obtain political influence. Russia is using the freedom of open and democratic societies of the West [to do this].”

Prior to the election on March 15, the Dutch government decided to change the way it counts votes because of software problems and fears of Russian hacking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    source

Russia has tried by spreading fake news to influence the elections in the Netherlands. That says Rob Bertholee, the head of the AIVD. The Secret Service reports in its annual report that the threat has increased last year against Netherlands and Europe.

It is Russia according Bertholee failed to "influence such as" our electoral process. "I think it is possible attempt to push in the wrong direction voters by distributing messages or only partially true."

Warnings in report

The annual report of the AIVD published today. The secret service especially warns of terrorist threats and cyber attacks to influence political decisions. In earlier reports, the security service warned even before these threats. This annual report will be greater emphasis on the danger of hackers. Cyber attacks are becoming larger, more complex and more professional.
    The Russian Trollfactory (a must see)

This video shows that all across the globe social media and forums, large and small, are targeted.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    Believing these conspiracy theories, one would think that these Russian Trolls outnumbers every other country in the world.

I mean, they're everywhere, making a massive amount of fake news for every country in every election, yet somehow eluded the world for decades and explains every government shortcoming!

There's no way this would be anyone else but Russia! No way I tell you!
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Believing these conspiracy theories, one would think that these Russian Trolls outnumbers every other country in the world.

I mean, they're everywhere, making a massive amount of fake news for every country in every election, yet somehow eluded the world for decades and explains every government shortcoming!

The only conspiracy theory i see in here seems to be comming from you.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    The only conspiracy theory i see in here seems to be comming from you.
    I'm not the one who use the Russians as a boogeyman for everything the government does that is objectively shady and unconstitutional.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account

First response is handwaving, and a clear lack of understanding of the topic.

Fantastic.

I'm not the one who use the Russians as a boogeyman for everything the government does that is objectively shady and unconstitutional.
    Well, they are providing evidence to back up their claims, are you?

Deleted
    But the troll factories are reality.

The alt-right movement in america is heavily influenced by russias propaganda.

You can be sure that if RT picks a topic, breitbart will talk about the same topic soon. They share the same conspiracy theories. If you watch right wing filter bubbles, they consist of putin trolls and "the new right" country specific topics.

Breitbarts propaganda is the same pattern as RT and Sputniks propaganda.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-04-04 at 11:15 PM.

And i'm not saying an official report from the Dutch secret service is based on a conspiracy theory.

(is that you Dimitri?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Well, they are providing evidence to back up their claims, are you?
    Unprovable evidence is not evidence. If officials cannot back their claims with factual information, then we've got nothing to discuss.

The CIA leak already proved that it is within the intelligence services ability to fake a country's imprint within hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    And i'm not saying an official report from the Dutch secret service is based on a conspiracy theory.

(is that you Dimitri?)
    Good one comrade.
    Google Diversity Memo

I wonder if some people here check for Putin, under their bed, before going to sleep.

Multiple countries are now reporting election tampering with evidence.

Sometimes we are proven wrong, it's OK. Digging our heels in further in the face of overwhelming evidence from multiple sources is not the answer, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I wonder if some people here check for Putin, under their bed, before going to sleep.
    One does not have to be afraid of a problem to recognize that it exists. I'm not afraid of obesity, but I'd be a fool to say it isn't an issue. There is substantial evidence to back up the claims that Russia sought to do this, and yet, conservatives aren't buying it. One only need look at the change in support of Putin among conservatives, to see that something has changed. Why do conservatives love Putin so much more than they did 5 years ago?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Multiple countries are now reporting election tampering with evidence.

Sometimes we are proven wrong, it's OK. Digging our heels in further in the face of overwhelming evidence from multiple sources is not the answer, however.
    Their evidence is unprovable. That's the thing: Russia has been meddling in elections for years now. Somehow, our IC realized today that it's happening everywhere?

With the recent leak on CIA documentation, I cannot believe in good conscience that this is plausible. It is within the CIA and many other agencies ability to disguise their mark and use another country's imprint to fake an attack, including Russia's imprint.
    Google Diversity Memo

Unprovable evidence is not evidence. If officials cannot back their claims with factual information, then we've got nothing to discuss.

The CIA leak already proved that it is within the intelligence services ability to fake a country's imprint within hacks.

Good one comrade.
    The evidence has been provided many times. Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?

10+ Year Old Account
    The evidence has been provided many times. Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?
    There has been no evidence given. However, I do, and it's in Vault 7 files.
    Google Diversity Memo

My dog won't let him into the house. She has "a nose" for bad people.

Good one comrade.
    ура!

There has been no evidence given. However, I do, and it's in Vault 7 files.
    The vault 7 files show that the CIA was the organization that was spamming people with fake news during the election cycle? I'd like to see that.

And yes, the evidence has been provided, it's in the article.

10+ Year Old Account
    About as much as you check for the Clinton Deep State in your closet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vault 7 files show that the CIA was the organization that was spamming people with fake news during the election cycle? I'd like to see that.

And yes, the evidence has been provided, it's in the article.
    https://wikileaks.org/vault7/?marble...le%20Framework

The source code shows that Marble has test examples not just in English but also in Chinese, Russian, Korean, Arabic and Farsi. This would permit a forensic attribution double game, for example by pretending that the spoken language of the malware creator was not American English, but Chinese, but then showing attempts to conceal the use of Chinese, drawing forensic investigators even more strongly to the wrong conclusion, --- but there are other possibilities, such as hiding fake error messages.

The Marble Framework is used for obfuscation only and does not contain any vulnerabilties or exploits by itself.
    And officials saying "it's happening" is not evidence. What are the files that they have on their side that is irrefutable proof that Russia meddled in it?
    Google Diversity Memo

https://wikileaks.org/vault7/?marble...le%20Framework

And officials saying "it's happening" is not evidence. What are the files that they have on their side that is irrefutable proof that Russia meddled in it?
    That just says that an IP and origin can be masked. That doesn't mean Russia didn't do it, or that the CIA did.