Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    human history has shown much the opposite; we even absorbed other fledgling human species.

Only if we leave the planet or something happens in which people cant leave the area they live in for thousands of years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Its very likely (imo) that sometime in the future the human species will diverge into multiple species; either through natural or artificial selection on other planets if and when we are ever able to terraform and colonize Mars and other planets, the integration of cybernetics into our bodies or the introduction, removal or modification of genes into the human genome.
    Haven't it already?

Also, your avatar with regards to making that post

Its very likely (imo) that sometime in the future the human species will diverge into multiple species; either through natural or artificial selection on other planets if and when we are ever able to terraform and colonize Mars and other planets, the integration of cybernetics into our bodies or the introduction, removal or modification of genes into the human genome.
    No. Humanity is far too stupid and preoccupied with whose invisible friend can kick someone else invisible friends ass to accomplish anything of that sort. We (as a species) cannot even accept homosexuality, much less colonizing other planets. A better discussion would be whether or not we are a WORTHY species to colonize the stars

10+ Year Old Account
    Evolutionary divergence takes a lot of time to really go through, typically, at the very least, dozens thousands years, sometimes millions years. If we become a spacefaring nation with the colonies spanning millions light years, I suppose we will diverge into multiple different species. Otherwise, there will probably be enough mixing between us to remain a single species - with some significant genetic differences, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Speciation is something that takes place on a scale longer than our species has even existed, let alone civilization.
    You're right. I read that word wrong. My bad.

In fact, everyone who quoted me and then all proceeded to tell me the same thing..
    Yes, You're all right. I was wrong. I read a lot wrong. and just... All around got confused and made an ass of myself..

I'm Sorry...

(not like BP sorry, actually sorry)
    Last edited by Violent; 2017-04-09 at 10:45 PM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

7+ Year Old Account
    Unlikely, unless people start living on another world for a long time and that world is so different that they need to adapt, but not different enough to kill them outright.

It's interesting wether or not we'd gradually get stronger if we lived on a world with more gravitation, but not enough to kill us, just a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    Haven't it already?

Also, your avatar with regards to making that post
    It's a neo-chimp (?) from this Sci-Fi/Horror RPG called Eclipse Phase. A.I takes over the Earth with survivors fleeing to colonies on other planets, humans have the ability to socket their consciousness into lab-grown morphs or machines and apes, dolphins, pigs and octopus have been uplifted.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Colonizing of other planets would be no different for diverging evolution than what happened during colonization of earth. The distance is only an issue until the point where it's short enouph to justify colonization. At which point, thinking of that planet as some different world, would be the same as Columbus landing in Americas.

Significance of distance is proportional to speed. If it takes even a year to travel, it would still not be secluded enouph.
    That is entirely incorrect. My point had nothing to do with time to travel, and everything to do with conditions on the planet itself. Colonizing another planet is nothing, at all, like colonizing a different continent. The list of reasons why is longer than my arm, and a significant portion of those will include the diverging path of human evolution.

Radiation is a big one, for instance.

It has already evolved, why would it stop now?

I would revert the question. Do you think the human race will not diverge at all in the future?
    You see, hard to say yes to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post

In fact, everyone who quoted me and then all proceeded to tell me the same thing..
    Yes, You're all right. I was wrong. I read a lot wrong. and just... All around got confused and made an ass of myself..

I'm Sorry...

You get bonus points for walking it back, man. That never happens. Tip o' the hat to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post

I'm Sorry...

Hey, it's cool man.

EDIT: My OP isn't just referring to natural selection, but divergence through gene modification, for example.

The real question is not whether mankind will diverge into multiple species, but whether mankind will evolve beyond its greedy/self-preserving selfishness that is the root problem with our species right now.

It matters little if we split into cyborgs, gene altered superhumans, consciousness uploaded non physical form humans or other variations, if we can't fix our most basic flaw we'll end up repeating the past and causing new racial problems which will feed our need to self-destruct and wage wars with ourselves until there is nothing left and we've gone extinct.

Deleted
    Maybe but the great evolution breakthrough about humans campared to animals is that we are socially diverged instead of biologically. Our organism is made to be that way, our communication/emotion disposition is our "evolution". I recommend reading Norbert Elias about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That is entirely incorrect.

My point had nothing to do with time to travel, and everything to do with conditions on the planet itself. Colonizing another planet is nothing, at all, like colonizing a different continent. The list of reasons why is longer than my arm, and a significant portion of those will include the diverging path of human evolution.
    You should consider time. It's critical to understanding the point you are trying to make. If that list includes radiation, I'd question its validity as a whole.

Radiation is a big one, for instance.
    We are not going to evolve to withstand radiation, we would combat it the same way we do now... with technology. This is where time comes in, not radiation it self. If we colonize planets it implies the time to travel is short enough for supplies to not just last, but be sustainable. Otherwise, you are just exploring. Colonization it self, is forcing the environment to adapt to us. We are not going to be dying out, until a genetic abnormality makes it more bearable and then be secluded enough so that trait would flourish.

Think about the time it took to travel between continents in the past and the diversity we had in each region. As time goes bye and distance to travel time becomes trivial, we don't diverge... we combine or eradicate. I call it the TTFQ, time to fuck qualifier. If you are not sucluded enough to maintain a specific course for a controlled environment, you are not going to maintain a divergence.

In fact, the vehicle that drove divergence is actively fought. We don't let traits take over, because eviorment forces us to adapt. We make the environment adapt to us. We are not evolving in that sense... you having a tail, will not make your gene survive, because when a famine hits, it's your genealogy that progressed because the tail influenced your survival. We have cranes... and trucks... and axes... your tail would get cut off as an anomaly and then it will get diluted out of prevelance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    The real question is not whether mankind will diverge into multiple species, but whether mankind will evolve beyond its greedy/self-preserving selfishness that is the root problem with our species right now.
    Self preservation is not going anywhere and is very different from selfishness. The issue above is not genetic, but cultural.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I'm pretty sure convergence is more likely since all races are fucking each other. When we run into aliens we'll be fucking them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    It has happened in the past, no reason it wouldn't happen again.
    Chances are slim, with the use of technology to conform the environment to fit our own shortcomings, instead of being forced to evolve for the species to survive.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You should consider time. It's critical to understanding the point you are trying to make. If that list includes radiation, I'd question its validity as a whole.
    I know the point I'm trying to make, and from what you're saying below, I'm not sure you and I are on the same page. Definitely same book, though.

We are not going to evolve to withstand radiation, we would combat it the same way we do now... with technology. This is where time comes in, not radiation it self. If we colonize planets it implies the time to travel is short enough for supplies to not just last, but be sustainable. Otherwise, you are just exploring. Colonization it self, is forcing the environment to adapt to us. We are not going to be dying out, until a genetic abnormality makes it more bearable and then be secluded enough so that trait would flourish.
    I never said anything about evolving to withstand radiation (not sure where you got that) I wish people would just ask for clarification instead of leading epic diatribe's down the entirely wrong path.

Radiation levels on other planets are a key factor to alternative evolution when colonizing space. Time is very small, if almost null, factor. Radiation levels vary greatly on different planets, and it would be almost impossible to find the same level of exposure we see here on Earth mimic'd on other planets. Therefore, by the very nature of radiation, we'll see a variety of changes based on the planet that people choose to colonize and explore/live.

Think about the time it took to travel between continents in the past and the diversity we had in each region. As time goes bye and distance to travel time becomes trivial, we don't diverge... we combine or eradicate. I call it the TTFQ, time to fuck qualifier. If you are not sucluded enough to maintain a specific course for a controlled environment, you are not going to maintain a divergence.
    Unless we find some kind of FTL drive capability, time will be a minor factor - because once we get to a place, we'll stay there. Back and forth between star systems isn't really likely unless the trade value is unique. [/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

Self preservation is not going anywhere and is very different from selfishness. The issue above is not genetic, but cultural.
    I was talking about the selfish gene.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene