Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

conputer dies after 5-10 min after startup

Hello!

I'm at my limit hoping someone here can help me with this issue.

After i boot my machine it dies after 5-10 min of use. Since it dies its hard to troubleshoot it and im wondering if someone here knows what it might be.

I've have had this issue before and i thought it was the PSU so i replaced it and it worked fine for around 4-5 months.

Now it's dying again and i have no idea why. Some days before this all started the fans on my G/C have made some strange sounds but i thought it was just the fans hitting some cord or something.

Right now i'm ready to kick this machine to the curve because i'm almost at my limit

Does it turn off when performing specific tasks, like gaming? What temperatures do you see while idle / gaming?

Post your specs as well; specifics on the power supply would be good too.
    Super casual.

Can you get us your CPU and GPU temps? Use a program like Hardware Monitor or whatever you have available.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like something is overheating. Check if your fans are working.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    And give your computer a good cleaning with compressed air. Dust is your enemy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Does it turn off when performing specific tasks, like gaming? What temperatures do you see while idle / gaming?

Post your specs as well; specifics on the power supply would be good too.
    Think it was this powersupply: Corsair PowerSupply (PSU) RM750x 750W

G/C: 290x sapphire

Processor: IE 4770k

M/B: Asus 99xa

Temps on Processing unit is 30-40c idle didnt have time to see what temps the G/C have normally it had around 50-60c idle

I didn't have time to even start a game before the computer dies.

Quote Originally Posted by mööh View Post

Temps on Processing unit is 30-40c idle didnt have time to see what temps the G/C have normally it had around 50-60c idle

Ah it won't even let you load up games, it does sound like a PSU issue then. GPU seems a bit hot idle tho.

However I would try dusting it out making sure cables are seated correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Ah it won't even let you load up games, it does sound like a PSU issue then. GPU seems a bit hot idle tho.

However I would try dusting it out making sure cables are seated correctly.
    Gonna open it up tomorrow and see if dust is causing it. Was planning on doing it anyways.

Feels strange if its the psu causing issues tho since its newly replaced tho

X99-A? That motherboard and processor don't work together, must be a different one.

The GPU is a bit hot idle, but not alarmingly so if it's got the stock AMD blower cooler; my Tri-X 290 idles at about 40C though, so if your GPU is one with an aftermarket cooler it may have come slightly loose. Any load on the GPU (like when initializing a 3D game environment) could cause it to overheat almost instantly. If the computer is dying without any interaction from you, games or otherwise, we can probably rule out temperature as a primary culprit though.

When you say "was", is that Corsair the model that's currently in your computer or the one you pulled out and replaced?
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading some online i tried this morning to see if it crashed in bios. Which it didn't amd then i tried booting it is safemode and see if it died there. After 20 min it was still going. So to me it sounds like a software issue. Gonna still give it a good dusting but gonna try with new drivers after that

After reading some online i tried this morning to see if it crashed in bios. Which it didn't amd then i tried booting it is safemode and see if it died there. After 20 min it was still going. So to me it sounds like a software issue. Gonna still give it a good dusting but gonna try with new drivers after that
    If it's a software issue and you can, you should do a fresh install would save you the trouble of actually having to figure out what's going on.

Software cant cause a power shutdown, it can cause stuff that will deal to shutting down (overheating/requiring power) but any program itself cant cause a shut down.

So no, your problem isnt "software related" if it was driver related you would get a BSOD before a random shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Software cant cause a power shutdown, it can cause stuff that will deal to shutting down (overheating/requiring power) but any program itself cant cause a shut down.

So no, your problem isnt "software related" if it was driver related you would get a BSOD before a random shut down.
    Yeah I think we need to figure out exactly how it's "Dying" I had an issue awhile back where my pc would "Die" but it was a complete lockup not a hard power down.

So that raises the question to the OP, can you explain the symptoms of the crash better? If it acts like it loses power it's most likely not software, and if it is it's overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Yeah I think we need to figure out exactly how it's "Dying" I had an issue awhile back where my pc would "Die" but it was a complete lockup not a hard power down.

So that raises the question to the OP, can you explain the symptoms of the crash better? If it acts like it loses power it's most likely not software, and if it is it's overheating.
    People express things differently and in the tech world this is a problem

"die" usually is power related and shut down as far as i have seen but everyone uses different words.

The way he is making it sound is that his PC shuts down which cannot be software related.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd double check your event viewer and see if it's able to identify a specific problem or it's just kicking off your standard ID 41 error while in safe mode. Is it a complete power down or does it blue screen?

What stands out to me is how it's working in both the BIOS and under safe mode since safe mode runs with many services disabled. If it's a blue screen crash (maybe even a power crash?) then it could point to one of those ultra-weird gremlins such as needing to change some power settings in the BIOS because it's causing Defender to go haywire when it's running for whatever reason so I'd have to ask what OS you're using and if you're done any recent software updates (MB BIOS, Drivers, Windows Updates).

All that being said, the RM750s built by Chicony aren't that great and you can verify if it is if the model number looks something like 75-XXXXXX. If it's RPS then it's the newer Channel Well Technologies model which are a bit better.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-04-11 at 08:17 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I'd double check your event viewer and see if it's able to identify a specific problem or it's just kicking off your standard ID 41 error while in safe mode. Is it a complete power down or does it blue screen?

What stands out to me is how it's working in both the BIOS and under safe mode since safe mode runs with many services disabled. If it's a blue screen crash (maybe even a power crash?) then it could point to one of those ultra-weird gremlins such as needing to change some power settings in the BIOS because it's causing Defender to go haywire when it's running for whatever reason so I'd have to ask what OS you're using and if you're done any recent software updates (MB BIOS, Drivers, Windows Updates).

All that being said, the RM750s built by Chicony aren't that great and you can verify if it is if the model number looks something like 75-XXXXXX. If it's RPS then it's the newer Channel Well Technologies model which are a bit better.
    The only thing i could see in eventveiwer was that "windows shut down unexpectedly" which doesn't really say anything sadly

Well yesterday I opened my case up to see if i could find anything inside that might cause the issue. Saw the one of the fans on my G/C is wobbly as hell and sounds like there was a rock or something in there. So i lift it out and check and see a white plastic thing in the fans. So i try to remove it since i thought it might cause the issues. That was a mistake since now the fans are busted on it.

So i'm gonna buy a new G/C and see if my computer comes back to life after that. If not i guess i'm gonna have to do a reinstall of windows.

I had an issue where my pc did the same thing, it was an ownership dispute within the GPU driver soft ware and win 10 after a certain win 10 update. Pretty much win 10 was trying to intercept data from the driver, and the driver wasn't having that and was causing a BSOD in about the same amount of time as you, probably 5-10minutes after booting up. Booting into safe mode and using a 1 year old NVIDIA driver (to old for win 10 to interact with). This happened to me last year though, and since then no more issues with current drivers and win10 after a few updates.

First things first: Make sure it is plugged into an outlet appropriately. Make sure the plug fits in snug. I had a cord that was halfway in and when i sat down on my chair it would shut my pc down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if anyone still cares but i found the solution. It was either the drivers failning or my G/C dying. Replaced the G/C last night and it haven't died on me yet

Not sure if anyone still cares but i found the solution. It was either the drivers failning or my G/C dying. Replaced the G/C last night and it haven't died on me yet
    It was your GPU overheating, broken fan does that, especially on a 290X which are known for their amazing heat problems.