Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Will you get into serious trouble if you mostly eat sweets but still exercise?

Long story short: I strongly dislike normal food lately, but love sweets. Everything from cakes to candy to crepes, they're all I find joy in eating. That said, I know the obvious consequences if you did not work out to compensate for what you're eating here, but is that enough to avoid long-term issues?

I'm talking something like eating cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and mostly avoiding normal water for coffee (strongly dislike sugary beverages).

10+ Year Old Account
    No, this is a terrible idea

Exercise can only do so much. If you're not bringing in the necessary nutrients, you're going to be unhealthy no matter what your weight is. A diet of mostly caffeine and sugar is horrible.

Sounds like you need to find some solid nutritional recipes.

this sort of thing is what i'm going to school for, so, i'll try to give as much of a TLDR as to whats going on here and what would happen if you actually did this.

exercise can reduce a lot of the consequences associated with high sugar intake, such as insulin resistance. however, sugar's damage is not limited to body weight and insulin, your organs don't get a work out (besides your heart) , you can't work out your liver. Sugar is 50% fructose and 50% glucose, glucose is perfectly safe, in fact most multi cellular organisms run on glucose, they just convert different things to glucose at different rates. fructose however, is very toxic to your liver. most studies suggest that fructose causes long term liver damage at higher than 50g per day, so while you can have *some* sugar every day, with no ill side effects, you will quickly run into satiety problems and will begin over eating, ontop of the multitude of protein, healthy fat, fiber, and vitamin deficiencies.

now, for a long term solution, you need to find a diet that you can sustain long term that meets your nutrition needs, steamed broccoli, boiled chicken and brown rice is not a very sustainable diet. You need to find a variety of spices, herbs, ingredients and ethnic style of food that you enjoy, for example, i like rosemary, garlic, chili's and citrus a lot, i tend to use those on otherwise bland foods.

Sounds like a prelude to Type I diabetes.

7+ Year Old Account
    How well I eat tends to be directly related to how much I am exercising. When I'm exercising regularly and am in good shape I tend to eat well without thinking about it. When I am out of shape, I tend to fall into less healthy eating habits.

Deleted
    Diabetes...that's what you get from constantly eating too much sugar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Blood sugar spikes increase glycation and makes lipoproteins sticky/immunogenic, which contributes to heart disease. Blood sugar spikes also stress your insulin response and make it harder for you to process sugars, which could lead to diabetes even if you're not obese.

Glycation of extracellular matrix components may also lead to cross-linking and a decrease in skin malleability, which could exacerbate wrinkling. Excessive intake of sweet foods without eating other foods might lead to nutritional deficiencies and intestinal dysbiosis, which carries with it a host of other ill effects that are potentially severe.

Sweet foods like cake also tend to have a lot of other garbage ingredients in them which may be relatively harmless in isolation, but could elicit biological responses in combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Long story short: I strongly dislike normal food lately, but love sweets. Everything from cakes to candy to crepes, they're all I find joy in eating. That said, I know the obvious consequences if you did not work out to compensate for what you're eating here, but is that enough to avoid long-term issues?

I'm talking something like eating cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and mostly avoiding normal water for coffee (strongly dislike sugary beverages).
    You may not ever get fat...but you'll never stay healthy with a diet like that...no matter how much you exercise. Also, strenuous exercise without any protein is gonna fuck you up.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I drink 6 sodas a day average and eat one large meal, sometimes with a light snack, or stress eating, and sometimes another large meal if I'm getting a lot of running around in at work(Currently retail, and the only non-manager who is trained on everything, so guess who gets to answer every call? wore a pedometer for a bit, hit over 25 miles a day during 4th quarter)

I'm on the low side of normal BMI. And I don't eat healthy by most standards.
    Last edited by kasuke06; 2017-04-13 at 04:56 AM.

That's how I used to live back when I was in my late teens/early 20s. My eating habits were atrocious but I was always at a very healthy weight, I've been a runner my whole life though.

I changed my eating habits when I started feeling like shit. Also my paternal grandfather developed Type II diabetes despite being 5'8 140 lbs his whole life, and my maternal grandparents died early from cancer (in their 70s). Their home was like a bakery, everything they ate was either cake or a pastry...

I'm not 100% certain whether their cancer risk was mostly due to lifestyle habits or genetics, but considering that everyone else on that side of the family (great-aunts/uncles and great grandparents) are living well into their 90s, I suspect that their diet was a factor.

My maternal grandmother was so bad with her diabetes that she actually lost a foot before she died from cancer, that's how addicted to sugar she was.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Sounds like a prelude to Type I diabetes.
    Wrong type.

Between nutrition and exercise, the nutrition part is actually far more important.

You're gonna die from diabetes with that plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Exercise burns calories. It doesn't prevent nutritional deficiencies.
    This.

OP, you'll be dead or dying with that diet. If you're only drinking coffee, the caffeine will dehydrate you + strip the calcium from your bones+teeth, and the lack of any real nutrients will ruin your heart (along with the rest of your body). terrible idea.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    this site dosen t alow medical advice but take you re vitamins right or you will die or fuk up you re life forever most doctors are to stupid to diagnose some deficiency and don t even give you the blood test for the ones that require special blood test so don t forget to take all b vitamins ,e,k ,a,d, and the minerals you need iron cuper,selenium,calcium,zinc,magnesium and the omega 3 from fish and from plants
    also don t forget some stuff prevents absorbtion of some minerals or vitamins

7+ Year Old Account
    Diabetes incoming.

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...iet.professor/

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Sukk View Post
    Diabetes...that's what you get from constantly eating too much sugar.
    This is a myth.

No one knows the true cause of Diabetes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    This is a myth.

No one knows the true cause of Diabetes.
    Trump knows