Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Yep that is what i'm saying as percentage wise it is far less than what other countries take in.

If austria would take in 600.000 in one year it would be almost 10% for the UK it's 1% ... 1% increase is mass immigration to you?
    It is not far less than other countries take in though, it is slightly less than some, but is more on headcount than all but four others in the world.

640k was one single year, 8.5 million total is mass immigration, which is roughly the entire population of your country. If the entirity of Austria moved to Germany, would that be a mass immigration? Yes or no.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Isn't that kinda the point of the Brexit? To clear out foreign workers in favor of UK citizens?
    at last someone with common sense
    the funny thing is they are the true racist and they call America or the UK racist
    you should check how they treat foreigners in there countries in yemen they think the north people are animals
    and in Sudan they treat the south Sudanies like shit because they are poor and with darker skin color
    and you will see all the citizens of countries will treat the foreign people that give a threat to losing their job the same way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Nonsense.

The UK is having its worse economic recovery in history, worse than even the Great Depression, due to Tory austerity. Don't scapegoat immigrants for your economic problems when the cause is actually austerity.
    Austerity will surely be a factor in quality of life reductions for the working class, but I think it is blindness by adherence to ideology that would stop someone realising that net migration of low-skilled labourers in the hundreds of thousands every year would not be detrimental to the working class people who are already living in that country (including each previous wave of immigrants). The Bank of England have explicitly said that migration is depressing wages and last I checked the number of available jobs was half the number of unemployed.

Why keep holding the door open for low-skilled labour from Europe when we can take control of our borders and be more picky about who we choose to invite into our country?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    http://researchbriefings.files.parli...77/SN06077.pdf

Lots of numbers concerning uk immigration.
    The numbers were linked earlier, not sure what your point is. As a percentage we are middle of the pack, when it comes to total numbers, we are second behind Germany.

Apropos of nothing much, there are more immigrants in the UK than there are people in Scotland and Wales combined.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It is not far less than other countries take in though, it is slightly less than some, but is more on headcount than all but four others in the world.
    It's 20% less than austria took in. I mean, yeah of course, 8.5 million does sound like a lot of people, but considering we are talking about immigrants that live there from anywhere between 1 to ~80 years and that they did not come at once it isn't much. Per capita it's what 50th of the world?

640k was one single year, 8.5 million total is mass immigration, which is roughly the entire population of your country. If the entirity of Austria moved to Germany, would that be a mass immigration? Yes or no.
    If the entirity of austria moved to germany at once, it would be mass immigration. Over a span of 40 years, nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's 20% less than austria took in.
    Austria does not have an immigrant population 20% higher than the UK.

I mean, yeah of course, 8.5 million does sound like a lot of people, but considering we are talking about immigrants that live there from anywhere between 1 to ~80 years and that they did not come at once it isn't much. Per capita it's what 50th of the world?
    8.5 million is a lot, it is the entire population of your country.

If the entirity of austria moved to germany at once, it would be mass immigration. Over a span of 40 years, nope.
    Someone linked a definition of migration earlier, there is no arbitrary timeframe on it, so why are you imposing one?

15+ Year Old Account
    Austria does not have an immigrant population 20% higher than the UK.
    As a percentage of the population it does.

8.5 million is a lot, it is the entire population of your country.
    If you say so.

Someone linked a definition of migration earlier, there is no arbitrary timeframe on it, so why are you imposing one?
    There also is no mention of what large means and it's about moving from one location to another, not from several.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I love how we're having a discussion about Brexit, yet you people don't even know that the Capital of Northern Ireland is in Northern Ireland, and therefore in the UK.

This is exactly what I expect when I read anti brexit nonsense.
    At least they know its near the UK. Half the brexit voters don't even know where Japan is on a map.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a percentage of the population it does.
    Well done to Austria

If you say so.
    It being the fifth highest immigrant population in the world would say so.

There also is no mention of what large means and it's about moving from one location to another, not from several.
    So now you are trying to argue that immigration into the UK is not immigration. Well done, you have outdone yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    At least they know its near the UK.
    It is not near the UK, it is in it.

Half the brexit voters don't even know where Japan is on a map.
    Japan is not in the EU, so how is it relevant where Japan is for Brexit voters? Most Remain voters, including myself, could not point out Mongolia on a map.

Thats what they call mass emigration, mass immigration is something entirely different.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well done to Austria
    Thanks, works out pretty well sofar, don't know what you guys are complaining about.

It being the fifth highest immigrant population in the world would say so.
    woopdidoo

So now you are trying to argue that immigration into the UK is not immigration. Well done, you have outdone yourself.
    Hey, you want to use the definition of mass migration, not me, don't complain if it doesn't align with what you want it to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Yeah but banning foreign workers doesn't work. The corporation will just move to another country and you lose the tax revenue and even more jobs.
    Trying to restrict globalization is just not going to work. It is too late. If you are not willing to work with the global market, other countries will.
    Well then, all hail our new God-emperor, Wallmart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, works out pretty well sofar, don't know what you guys are complaining about.
    Nobody gives a shit about Austria.

woopdidoo
    Considering that it is the fifth largest immigrant population in the world and the conversation started when someone said the UK has not had mass immigration in comparison to other places, can you explain how many it would take to be considered mass immigration and where the fuck all those other places are?

Hey, you want to use the definition of mass migration, not me, don't complain if it doesn't align with what you want it to.
    Oh good God!

Migration is the movement of people from one place to another.
    Immigration is the movement of people to a specific place - this is what we are talking about.
    Emigration is the movement of people from a specific place.

Mass immigration is therefore a lot of people (8.5 million) moving to a specific place, in this case the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post

Northern Ireland has been lagging behind Ireland when it comes to competitiveness. Stagnation was what spawned brexit and Trump, so maybe NI will secede from the UK?
    Oh it's stagnation this time? I thought it was liberals "constantly ignoring the middle class hard working American" despite doing nothing but work for them for 8 years straight....
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Doubtful, the UK subsidises Ulster and the majority of the population there wishes to remain part of the UK.

The only region in the UK with a likelihood of leaving is Scotland, who could also not afford it and the only region that could afford it is Southeast England, who would not leave.
    Well, I don't know about NI national identity, but throwing money at it its not solving its problems. NI used to be a manufacturing hub right? I can see a populist tying that to secession.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    Well, I don't know about NI national identity, but throwing money at it its not solving its problems. NI used to be a manufacturing hub right? I can see a populist tying that to secession.
    Independence for Ulster? I doubt it, most likely they are either going to remain part of the UK, or unite with Ireland. The latter is unlikely given current demographics and economics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I love how we're having a discussion about Brexit, yet you people don't even know that the Capital of Northern Ireland is in Northern Ireland, and therefore in the UK.

This is exactly what I expect when I read anti brexit nonsense.
    One billion times this.

So are the Irish gonna start with the bombs again? Was only a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    Relax, all our commonwealth friends from india and africa with their toilet paper degrees will 100% fit the gap
    QFT

Incompetent, doctors, dentists, IT workers from "commonwealth" is what our country needs.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    So are the Irish gonna start with the bombs again? Was only a matter of time.
    Yes we're gonna start up the Troubles again because we're getting jobs.

Because, historically, thats what happened - right?

This thread is actual cancer.

Immigrants are leaving and by extension opening up jobs - for no other reason than "muh feels" and this is seen as a bad thing? If you're in such a fucking well-off position that you can leave a job over "muh feels" then you probably don't even need to be working at all - especially at a fucking low tier IT job.

Please, oh great MMO C, bestow upon me your insight into The Troubles!