Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Yes, finally. Someone gets it.
    I'm not pigeonholing myself into only being able to play a certain class/style. That's what shortsighted people do.
    I'm not sure about that. Getting rank 5 gives you 505 of dust. Assuming you had the deck from the beginning of MSOG you would probably have 2525 of dust. For an investment of 1800 of dust. And if the deck remains competitive throughout Un'goro you could easily get ~4000 of dust. In addition of patches being a must in all rogue decks, something that if going by the current meta will remain true throughout this expansion. Seems stupid not to craft him.

Like I'm not sure your strategy would only work in the really long term, you really need to focus on one or two decks and go from there. Also I have my doubts when it comes to the priority cards you chose like equality is only good in control paladin and those decks are insanely expensive. Doomsayer, Iceblock and Tirion are pretty solid choices though. Bloodmage is also insanely good and a must IMO.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-04-13 at 12:44 AM.

Deleted
    I think Blizzard will heavily need to rethink their marketing strategy going forward. The current level of rewards in HS cannot sustain 3 expansions per year, like they want to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is expensive

Un'Goro does feel a lot more expensive because of all the quests being extra legendaries and that most new deck require a lot of new epics and legendaries, although there are quite some cheap decks that do really well in constructed. MSoG didn't feel as expensive because out of all the new legendaries there were only like 3 that were used all the time (Patches, Kazakus, Aya). And the previous expansions were a lot more generous with free stuff. Out of my head, MSoG rewarded 2 packs from each new Gadgetzan faction, rewarding a total of 6 packs. And WotOG even gave you a free C'thun and the 2 drops that synergises with him. This expansion only gave a golden Ultrasaur and 3 free packs.

I think they need to change their reward system a bit because of their new marketing strategy, where they dropped adventurers for more adventurers. So they should give more gold to players from quests or even an extra card from a pack, and the arena rewards should be higher. As of now it feels quite expensive to catch up with all the new expansions, I don't want to imagine being a new player coming to this game at this point. I very much doubt that I would even stick around, I would just try Elder Scrolls Legends or someting just to get a proper start with the others.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Un'Goro does feel a lot more expensive because of all the quests being extra legendaries and that most new deck require a lot of new epics and legendaries, although there are quite some cheap decks that do really well in constructed. MSoG didn't feel as expensive because out of all the new legendaries there were only like 3 that were used all the time (Patches, Kazakus, Aya). And the previous expansions were a lot more generous with free stuff. Out of my head, MSoG rewarded 2 packs from each new Gadgetzan faction, rewarding a total of 6 packs. And WotOG even gave you a free C'thun and the 2 drops that synergises with him. This expansion only gave a golden Ultrasaur and 3 free packs.

I think they need to change their reward system a bit because of their new marketing strategy, where they dropped adventurers for more adventurers. So they should give more gold to players from quests or even an extra card from a pack, and the arena rewards should be higher. As of now it feels quite expensive to catch up with all the new expansions, I don't want to imagine being a new player coming to this game at this point. I very much doubt that I would even stick around, I would just try Elder Scrolls Legends or someting just to get a proper start with the others.
    I felt like they gave away the most free stuff with this expansion. It wasn't just the Volcanasaur they did 8 days of free stuff for login in which included 2 packs plus there was the 3 tavern brawls packs so I ended up with 8 packs in total for ungoro plus all the other stuff for login in rewards.

Deleted
    Yes, finally. Someone gets it.

I'm not pigeonholing myself into only being able to play a certain class/style. That's what shortsighted people do.
    Ohh yeah, 'cause it's much better to just hold onto a lot of resources, not use them, and then complain you don't have any good decks.

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    I felt like they gave away the most free stuff with this expansion. It wasn't just the Volcanasaur they did 8 days of free stuff for login in which included 2 packs plus there was the 3 tavern brawls packs so I ended up with 8 packs in total for ungoro plus all the other stuff for login in rewards.
    Yeah, it's funny that so many are complaining about how so much more expensive this expansion is and ignore all the free stuff Blizzard was throwing out prior to and on release. People are also erroneously equating more expansions as more expensive; it's not, just means there is more to collect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    That is precisely what it is, an absolutely tiny sample that means nothing, and exactly what you don't have proof. Just wild conjectures with zero basis in reality.
    Thanks for the belly laugh, that's how surveys work, you take results from a small sample of the population and extrapolate.

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    To talk about giving away "free stuff" that is totally worthless in an already flawed game genre is bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Thanks for the belly laugh, that's how surveys work, you take results from a small sample of the population and extrapolate.
    To talk about giving away "free stuff" that is totally worthless in an already flawed game genre is bizarre.
    To begin with a survey works only under certain constraints and the value of the information is dependent on the controls you place on the survey. For instance a survey asking people their opinion on MMO-C would imply that they have some interest in the game already and are gamers themselves as that is the only people who come here. Many surveys are thrown out because constraints weren't properly in place or your target audience wasn't hit.

The other is that giving away free stuff does actually cost the company money. Promotional items take time and resources to implement even if it's worthless digital transactions. In fact these things are just sound business strategies meant to promote a product.

My point in all this is that blizzard is a company trying to make a profit like every other game. Your either a customer or not and it is your collective buying power that will determine how they approach and price things. On an individual level you can't do much except raise awareness for unethical practices which they have not done.

Deleted
    Haha! Talk about a belly laugh

"I see people on forums who agree with me" does not a survey make. It doesn't even come close.

Deleted
    Yeah, it's funny that so many are complaining about how so much more expensive this expansion is and ignore all the free stuff Blizzard was throwing out prior to and on release. People are also erroneously equating more expansions as more expensive; it's not, just means there is more to collect.
    The free stuff Blizzard was throwing out prior to the release was barely anything. 100g + 3 card packs + 100 dust + golden volcanosaur isn't really a lot to give out for 8 days. For players now trying the game for the first time, you're going to stop really fast because the mountain is too sharp to climb.

Adventures are ~6 legendaries+epics+rares for 2500 gold. Plus all the bosses, the fun and the card back. An adventure is much better for players than an expansion in terms of gold investment(3 times better). The previous cycle of adventure-->expansion-->adventure becoming expansion-->expansion-->expansion is designed to be more expensive to increase Blizzard $ income.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shammypie View Post
    To begin with a survey works only under certain constraints and the value of the information is dependent on the controls you place on the survey.
    I am aware what a survey is.

does not a survey make. It doesn't even come close.
    Nevertheless the total people posting that they disenchanted their Wild collections represents a fraction of everyone who has.

I just bought 4 packs with the gold I saved up since I felt pity timer owed me (I won't buy any more this expansion) and got the Warrior Quest.

I see Sjow's list on Hearthpwn but I'm missing five cards:
    Shield Slam x1
    Brawl x2
    Gorehowl x1
    Deathwing x1

That's...come on :/. I have 6k dust but I wanted Archmage, Tirion, Ice Blocks and Doomsayer. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Unsure of what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

I crafted one Brawl and one Gorehowl. Brawl is a great card that any warrior besides pirate can run, so I like having it. I always have room to open another in a pack. Gorehowl I shouldn't have crafted but omg I wanted it so I did. You only live once.

- - - Updated - - -

I caved and bought the second Brawl. It's like my favorite fucking card.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    The free stuff Blizzard was throwing out prior to the release was barely anything. 100g + 3 card packs + 100 dust + golden volcanosaur isn't really a lot to give out for 8 days. For players now trying the game for the first time, you're going to stop really fast because the mountain is too sharp to climb.
    Only because of what you're comparing it to. I was never taught that I deserve free things just because I'm a client. So whenever I get something I think "wow, instead of zero, I got all this stuff!"

It's easy to compare one mountain to a bigger mountain and forget they are both mountains.

People erroneously believe it makes perfect sense to give away promotional products out for free but that is not always the case. If you do, then you are going to have to keep doing it because people will learn to expect it, quickly thinking it is their right. Once you stop, they will suddenly go WTF, get upset and angry. So practicing restraint is a good idea, if you can.

Many also misunderstand why other games give away many free features, thinking it's because the people running those companies are just nice that way. However the real reason is because they have to in order to compete. Blizzard, I think, understands this. They are the only company who can still get away with a subscription based MMO. Others had to go F2P. Same applies in HS, Blizzard already has a successful product with a huge client base. Others have to try lure the players in somehow, so they give out free card packs by the dozens, hoping at least a few will stay to buy more.

Nevertheless the total people posting that they disenchanted their Wild collections represents a fraction of everyone who has.
    Uh huh... just keep telling yourself that.

- - - Updated - - -

I crafted one Brawl and one Gorehowl. Brawl is a great card that any warrior besides pirate can run, so I like having it. I always have room to open another in a pack. Gorehowl I shouldn't have crafted but omg I wanted it so I did. You only live once.

- - - Updated - - -

I caved and bought the second Brawl. It's like my favorite fucking card.
    Well at least you're working towards an actual deck now. That's something
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2017-04-13 at 10:40 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post

Adventures are ~6 legendaries+epics+rares for 2500 gold. Plus all the bosses, the fun and the card back. An adventure is much better for players than an expansion in terms of gold investment(3 times better). The previous cycle of adventure-->expansion-->adventure becoming expansion-->expansion-->expansion is designed to be more expensive to increase Blizzard $ income.
    Nail on the head here - expansions make a lot more $$$, so Blizz is spamming them

I don't know, it looks expensive if you want all cards, but in reality, you can make quite a good number of cheap decks that can get you high on ladder, while i didn't like this expansion at start and had the same opinion as you the more i play the more im please

The only annoying part is i open 40 un goro packs and no legendary, where is my damn pity timer

Yes, and even some basic maths shows 8 packs doesn't cover the increased amount people are paying due to the HoF + standard rotation. It may be an unpopular opinion, but having rares that weren't really considered OP like azure drake or legendaries like ragnaros that you could easily slot in any deck massively reduced deck costs in the long term. I'd argue that's very important for a game with 0 resale value, which for a lot of people in magic is the justification to even get new decent decks.

Like outside of running an MSOG deck that if it becomes prevalent enough will just be hardteched against until you're 40% WR your main budget choice is warlock - unfortunately like it always seems to be (even though many of the cards are different). It seems very important for the low end to make the standard rotation effect the vast majority casual F2P crowd than it does those who will throw $100 in day one to craft the deck or 2 they consider best (for them) immediately. Warriors always had a cheap aggro deck which wasn't terrible, and warlocks zoo has been universally cheap forever. Hunters fell off the planet when it came to good cheap decks, and quests (the main feature of the expansion) are practically out of reach.

Quests should not have been legendary rarity, they should've made a different system so that you only had 1.
    Last edited by Raiju; 2017-04-17 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelix1 View Post
    The only annoying part is i open 40 un goro packs and no legendary, where is my damn pity timer
    Gratz this is breaking news, you are the first to whom this has ever happened in the history of Hearthstone! Did you get it on video?

Gratz this is breaking news, you are the first to whom this has ever happened in the history of Hearthstone! Did you get it on video?
    I actually went on my desktop and recorded when I was opening my first 60 packs. (I wasn't planning on buying more.)

The shenanigans Blizzard pulled by giving me 11+ of some commons and 0 of others won't be forgotten!

Yeah I'd have to say that this one does clock up more dust expensive than usual. Side effect of it having less filler. Hooray?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yeah I'd have to say that this one does clock up more dust expensive than usual. Side effect of it having less filler. Hooray?
    Didn't think of it that way, that the expansion is more expensive because there are more decent cards than crap cards, but that makes perfect sense now that I think about it. It is easy to compare Un'Goro to other expansions and call it more expensive when other expacs were comparatively 'cheaper' because they had many more unviable cards/decks (whether due to cards just being bad, or the meta at the time making it so certain mechanics or cards aren't competitive.

Compare Un'Goro to TGT, which had very few highly impact cards compared to other expansions, GvG which pretty much had one legendary that overshadowed all other legendarties, & even MSoG whose meta completely pushed out the handbuff archetype until Un'Goro released. Like you said, Un'Goro isn't arbitrarily more expensive, it just has more useful cards than the fillers that other expansions had. More decent cards = more players spending more gold & dust to get them.