Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

DAE Work in computer sales and look at the "builds of the month" and laugh a little?

Cause i do. pretty much every month. now, granted, some of them have been pretty good. but then i see really bad decisions on some of them

this months for example:

IntelIntelIntelIntel

LolWat. you guys have heard that the Ryzen 5's have launched at this point, right? Quad core/Sextuple core, Hyperthreaded with Lots more cache compared to intel's 8mb cache? for less money? and good benchmark scores? the deliberate exclusion of a Ryzen build on the list seems planned almost.

Puppy: you totally don't need a 212 evo for an i3. or a Z270 board! step those parts down and use the excess budget to pick up a 120gb ssd for a boot drive!

Dolphin build looks all right.

Narwhal: The HAF cases are great if you want a Giant ugly box that's gonna scream like a jet engine all damn day. pick an NZXT (s340), Fractal (Define S) or Corsair (400 series) instead.

Unicorn: Again, not sold on the case. better brand at least.

All 4: DVD Drives? rly? i know you can mix and match and exclude parts and etc but damn dude, why even suggest these things? imo complete waste of budget.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

Some points I will agree with.
    Dismissing the dvd drive is I feel short-sighted.
    Because YOU have your software and media through other means does not mean others do.
    We have DVD's for movies, and still some software on discs.

What I do think is a better option is it being an optional inclusion, rather than baseline.
    Better than outright dismissal.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlehoff View Post
    Cause i do. pretty much every month. now, granted, some of them have been pretty good. but then i see really bad decisions on some of them

this months for example:

IntelIntelIntelIntel

LolWat. you guys have heard that the Ryzen 5's have launched at this point, right? Quad core/Sextuple core, Hyperthreaded with Lots more cache compared to intel's 8mb cache? for less money? and good benchmark scores? the deliberate exclusion of a Ryzen build on the list seems planned almost.

Puppy: you totally don't need a 212 evo for an i3. or a Z270 board! step those parts down and use the excess budget to pick up a 120gb ssd for a boot drive!

Dolphin build looks all right.

Narwhal: The HAF cases are great if you want a Giant ugly box that's gonna scream like a jet engine all damn day. pick an NZXT (s340), Fractal (Define S) or Corsair (400 series) instead.

Unicorn: Again, not sold on the case. better brand at least.

All 4: DVD Drives? rly? i know you can mix and match and exclude parts and etc but damn dude, why even suggest these things? imo complete waste of budget.
    AMD could invent safe and fast spacetravel and i wouldnt use it. Regardless of how they benchmark, always a shit CPU. They're behind Intel in every sense of stability that you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    AMD could invent safe and fast spacetravel and i wouldnt use it. Regardless of how they benchmark, always a shit CPU. They're behind Intel in every sense of stability that you can find.
    Heres your fanboy sign. go do some research. even LinusTechTips is giving the Ryzen good reviews. i know its hard to get over the team blue brainwashing (there advertising is amaziballs) but go look at the body of research.

and i want to point out that you just said pretty much "I dont care what the literature and testing shows, there crap because i say so, despite what reviewers are saying intel is still better" so calling you a fanboy isnt an insult or short sighted defense. its literally true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Better than outright dismissal.
    ok fair point, putting DVD as an optional would make a lot more sense.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

I too would rather Intel, because it's a brand I have used for a long time. Not particularly interested in other people's opinion on that topic, especially not some one who thinks his opinion is so important he has to mock the site he is posting his opinion on.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Not particularly interested in other people's opinion on that topic, especially not some one who thinks his opinion is so important he has to mock the site he is posting his opinion on.
    omg discussion on a discussion board! who DOES that right?

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I too would rather Intel, because it's a brand I have used for a long time.
    And that's fine. a lot of people stick to what they know instead of moving to newer stuff because its what there used to. Look at all the people who refuse to upgrade to Win10... or the really weird ones who wont even consider an OS past WinXP.

we have customers coming in with 10+ year old laptops with Celron processors who want to fix there Paperweight. they will sink more value in than purchasing a new refurbished laptop because they know this laptop and like it, despite us Techs telling them every step of the way "look we can do this for you, but its still a huge waste of money and we dont recommend it".

Just because its what you've used for a long time, doesn't mean its the best choice by the value.
    Last edited by Kazlehoff; 2017-04-17 at 02:12 PM.

Heres your fanboy sign. go do some research. even LinusTechTips is giving the Ryzen good reviews. i know its hard to get over the team blue brainwashing (there advertising is amaziballs) but go look at the body of research.
    Exactly.

The moment you see someone saying something like -- "AMD could invent safe and fast spacetravel and i wouldnt use it. Regardless of how they benchmark, always a shit CPU. They're behind Intel in every sense of stability that you can find." -- which is both stupid and uninformed (no, they aren't "behind Intel in every sense of stability"), you know they are know-nothings who are best left in whatever imaginary world they built for themselves.

The things you said in the first post make a lot of sense. Especially IntelIntelIntel and (LOL) DVD drives are a no-brainer.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD has been out of the CPU market for years. It's going to take a short while before people warm up to using them again.
    I like having a DVD drive in my desktop. It's nice if I want to watch movies, play old games, or if I have to burn some for my family.

Aside from that I agree with you.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're usually pretty spot on, the only reason anyone is getting their panties in a twist about it right now is because AMD has a decent CPU out and the person that compiles the list is likely a fan of Intel. Aside from this month and potentially last month the list here has lined up very well with anything recommended on r/buildapc or PCMR. This thread a little cringy to be honest, you're going to criticize the list because of case choice? That's personal preference no matter how much you don't want it to be. There are hundreds of acceptable cases out there, if not more, that you can choose from. Might as well just recommend something tried and true and easy to work with that the person using the parts list won't struggle with if they don't know enough to make a choice for themselves.

In truth, I'm skeptical of AMD's new CPUs, and you can call that fanboying or whatever. I'm not ready to jump on the Ryzen bandwagon quite yet, if I were in the market for a new PC I'd quite honestly be a little torn about it, once burned twice shy and all that.

If you're "laughing at the list pretty much every month" rather than just disagreeing with it using Intel this past month or so, it's probably not the list that's laughable.

Its funny too with how huge twitch has become and actually the curse client is now called "twitch", yet intel CPU's are still being recommended across the board for the uninformed.

I feel terrible for someone who purchases an i5 over a ryzen chip just in general, but especially for someone who plans on starting up a twitch stream or doing some youtube content.

I feel the poster above nailed it, gonna take a bit before people catch on to what AMD has here based on their older fx series of chips and how unfavorably they compared to intels line at the time.

and i want to point out that you just said pretty much "I dont care what the literature and testing shows, there crap because i say so, despite what reviewers are saying intel is still better" so calling you a fanboy isnt an insult or short sighted defense. its literally true.
    Honestly used AMD once in my life and it was shit. I've used the same Intel CPU for 7 years now and never had a problem with it. There's a reason they're more expensive, AMD wouldnt have a chance if Intel lowered their prices.

Can we stop making this a red vs blue thread?

I've said for a long time that the BOTMs are kinda trash. They give a decent starting point I guess, but really, each users case is unique and different and you can't really shoehorn them in to 1 of 4 builds. It's why we have the sub-forum and a sticky to fill out so we can help meet the individuals unique needs. The two concepts are pretty much at odds with each other, yet they share this site. It's weird, but I just ignore the BOTM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the BOTMs needing some work. Motherboards, for example, are showing a $140 board on the most budget build. It doesn't make sense. You don't need a Z board for an i3 and you certainly don't need one of that price.

As for the CPUs though...I mean it kind of makes sense to recommend Intel. AMD just released and people are still hesitant despite how great they are for the price you're paying (the Intel fanboyism on the other threads have been giving me a good laugh seeing them try and pretend like AMD is still shit). You also have to realize that this is a forum built around WoW which significantly needs single threaded performance and AMD, while not too far behind, is still behind in it. Intel really is the only way to go currently if you're looking to get the most performance at possible out of WoW itself. Not that AMD can't perform just fine with Ryzen in the game unlike Bulldozer.

This post is pretty useless though to be honest. It's not like any of this hasn't been said and as mentioned above this is just going to end up turning into an Intel vs AMD thread and getting locked.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

It all depends how you view things.

As example i dont consider any of their choices "wrong" but depends on which companies you would recommend/wouldnt recommend.

While the Ryzen thing is true that R5 ones arent bad at all, it depends on the country.

An Ryzen 5 build is actually more expensive than a i5 build in Greece right now and you know what kind of economical problems we have, people dont care for "new tech" being 3% faster if it costs more.

What annoys me with the recommended builds is stuff like Z motherboards for locked i3, or a heatsink for an i3 and so on, waste of money, make its supposed to be a budget build , keep it a budget build.

The DvD rom is mostly optional, there are people that want it, people that dont, its barely 20$ in most cases so why not include it.

I would prefer if they started making actual proper builds, splitting them from Budget-->Gamer-->High Gamer-->Extreme Gamer (Just wordings for now).

Including a 60$ case on the puppy build ..zzzz
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-17 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    I'm a huge Intel fanboy, but Ryzen is really really impressive.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    I'm a huge Intel fanboy, but Ryzen is really really impressive.
    You can have a preference without being a fanboy.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

These recommendations are in part for those who don't know enough to go and choose the parts themselves.
    Therefore the established option of Intel might not be a bad thing.

I am also making an assumption that WoW players make up a substantial portion of the membership here.
    Intel is winning in single-threaded performance, therefore being superior for blizzard games.

While I do agree that now there shouldn't be the automatic Intel recommendation, AMD isn't quite there to be an automatic one either, at least for mainstream users.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-04-17 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    It all depends how you view things.

As example i dont consider any of their choices "wrong" but depends on which companies you would recommend/wouldnt recommend.

While the Ryzen thing is true that R5 ones arent bad at all, it depends on the country.

An Ryzen 5 build is actually more expensive than a i5 build in Greece right now and you know what kind of economical problems we have, people dont care for "new tech" being 3% faster if it costs more.

What annoys me with the recommended builds is stuff like Z motherboards for locked i3, or a heatsink for an i3 and so on, waste of money, make its supposed to be a budget build , keep it a budget build.

The DvD rom is mostly optional, there are people that want it, people that dont, its barely 20$ in most cases so why not include it.

I would prefer if they started making actual proper builds, splitting them from Budget-->Gamer-->High Gamer-->Extreme Gamer (Just wordings for now).

Including a 60$ case on the puppy build ..zzzz
    Good point on other countries, has not thought about that.

Even if they did that, you are still trying to shoehorn a whole bunch of people in to 4 different builds, no in between. The superior option is almost always to get someone to help you tailor your rig to your current needs.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    These recommendations are in part for those who don't know enough to go and choose the parts themselves.
    Therefore the established option of Intel might not be a bad thing.

I am also making an assumption that WoW players make up a substantial portion of the membership here.
    Intel is winning in single-threaded performance, therefore being superior for blizzard games.

While I do agree that now there shouldn't be the automatic Intel recommendation, AMD isn't quite there to be an automatic one either, at least for mainstream users.
    Even still, do you not think that it would be better for them to start a thread in the build sub-forum and get people to tailor a build to their specific needs?

I feel like the Unicorn builds have been a bit.. tame. Theres barely any difference between the Narwhal and Unicorn builds.

This week it was just a measly 150$, and most of that was in the.. case? Cpu fan? A PRO vs EVO SSD?
    Come on, give the people some decent upgrades. Unless you go for the 1070, theres 0 difference in performance on those 2 builds.

The way I see it, the Unicorn build should be 7700K\GTX 1080, and Narwhal at 7600K/ 1070.
    Whats the point in having 2 builds where the case and CPU fan are the 2 biggest differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Good point on other countries, has not thought about that.

Even if they did that, you are still trying to shoehorn a whole bunch of people in to 4 different builds, no in between. The superior option is almost always to get someone to help you tailor your rig to your current needs.
    But thats the thing, it should be 4 builds, but actual 4 builds.

Right now a budget PC, or a Puppy, should be G4560 + 20$ Fronstal USB 3 case with a rx 460.

After that it should be an i3 with 1050 Ti.

After that, R5/7600K With 480/1060/1070 depending.

After that it can be the 7700K/R7/LGA2011 and 1080/1080 Ti for the "extreme" stuff.

Or not even call it extreme, they should make 3 builds, Budget/Starter/Gamer and "Consult the Computer forum for something more beefy"

Either way, its a stupid topic, but the problem is there are people that follow those builds without checking anything else and as i said, kinda annoys me, Puppy build as example has at least 100+$ wasted on worthless crap like the case/mobo/heatsink.

Hey at least its recommending 3Ghz RAM which is a correct thing, although i would go for 3.2Ghz on any i5/i7.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-17 at 05:22 PM.