Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    I'd buy a house because I'd like to actually put my "rent" money into something I can own, instead of throwing it in a fire every month.
    Annual costs associated with home owning are very large and notable. You're still paying rent, its just not called rent. Unless you have a bad landlord who doesnt do their part in maintaining your home.

Owning is stupid. Very, very, stupid. It does little else but empty your wallet and hold you back.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

I'd buy a house because I'd like to actually put my "rent" money into something I can own, instead of throwing it in a fire every month.
    Right owning a home is more about personal equity than anything else. You rent you are giving someone else equity.

Also interesting enough 1994-2000 when the wealthy started to out do the 50% Bill Clinton was president. Seems like democrats have much to contribute to rise in wealth inequality.

Quote Originally Posted by putridegaming View Post
    Also interesting enough 1994-2000 when the wealthy started to out do the 50% Bill Clinton was president. Seems like democrats have much to contribute to rise in wealth inequality.
    The blame is equal. The issue is that people in the middle and bottom are being overrun and can't keep up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    It's gonna trickle down so hard under Trump, you don't know what to do with all that money!

The rich are getting richer, and so is everybody else.

http://www.urban.org/sites/default/f...ddle-Class.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Depends if he gives something so people can empower themselves instead? Like if there was funding so people can get trained for a higher skilled job? It'd go further than just welfare.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Yeah, not where I was going with that at all. My household makes $150,000/year
    Eh, most people who do "world comparisons" in threads like these are doing it in terms of the American poor, and their message is "look how good you have it, you're in the top 10% of the world!"

It reeks of excuses, it reeks of racing to the bottom. I'm a believer in American exceptionalism, and one reason that entire concept exists in the first place is that one point in time, someone working minimum wage could save up and get a mortgage and their very own home with an acre of land. Our "poor" were much better off relatively speaking. Of course we now have modern comforts we didn't have back then, but most Americans don't get to enjoy those luxuries.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Ok.
    But low education workers really don't get the job benefits from those, considering automation generally requires higher education to run.

Unless you're advocating shitty sweatshops like in China, in which case I'll point you to labor laws. And let's not try to argue labor laws are a bad thing, eh? I'd rather not drive employees to the point of suicide.
    A strong manufacturing industry would reenergize the US economy, which indirectly benefits the low educated. Also retraining programs are much more effective when there is a strong demand for jobs. Another benefit is increase in innovation (which is being outsourced btw) and less people on welfare and social security benefits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It would deplete the excess labor and solve the problem though, at least until they start over breeding again. This would make warm bodies more in demand and drive up wages for unskilled labor. Frankly, alcohol, drugs, and suicide seem to be the perfect solution to the woes of the middle class. All they have to do is buck up and out last their socioeconomic peers.
    That's uh... one way to look at things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Says the guy asking if a 900 dollar coat and giant flat screen tvs are good purchases.
    I'm not a 1%er.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about you post a fucking solution instead of trying to make up faux outrage Tenn? Hmmm???

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I'm not a 1%er.
    Then stop asking dumb questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Yet companies aren't willing to train these people off the streets. They rather bring someone from another country with the skillset that the other country paid for. Is it really that expensive to train someone to do your job? I guess it's up to trump to try to promote some type of government funded training so the companies don't have to?
    I agree with this to some extent but the education system is failing them as well. The company I work for is willing to train them off the street. The problem is that they lack the basic skills to even start the training. Of the number of people who we have employed in the first quarter, only half remain employed. In most cases, this is because of poor product quality or safety issues that the employee caused. Fork lift operators tend to be the worst offenders though that has a low skill requirement compared to advanced assembly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    A strong manufacturing industry would reenergize the US economy, which indirectly benefits the low educated. Also retraining programs are much more effective when there is a strong demand for jobs. Another benefit is increase in innovation (which is being outsourced btw) and less people on welfare and social security benefits.
    We do have a strong manufacturing industry. Right here in the US. It's been mostly taken over by automation. Economists disagree on HOW MUCH it's taken over by a few percent, but pretty much all of them say over 90%, some go as high as 97%, others about as low as 90%. The rhetoric that industry was taken mostly overseas was just propaganda to get people riled up against Mexico and China, rather than directing their ire at the real people responsible - the factory and business owners replacing them with machines. Americans had no problems with migratory Mexican field workers who went back and forth across the border... til the disinformation campaign that they were STEALIN ER JERBS.

So I always ask conservatives to consider this: Would they even give two fucks about Mexicans if the talking heads had never told them to hate Mexicans? One has to wonder what the present would look like if the factory workers who lost their jobs had instead been told that their jobs were being taken away by automation.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

It's fine. Eventually we'll all die out and the 1% won't have anybody left to clean their toilets and they'll die out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    We do have a strong manufacturing industry. Right here in the US. It's been mostly taken over by automation. Economists disagree on HOW MUCH it's taken over by a few percent, but pretty much all of them say over 90%, some go as high as 97%, others about as low as 90%. The rhetoric that industry was taken mostly overseas was just propaganda to get people riled up against Mexico and China, rather than directing their ire at the real people responsible - the factory and business owners replacing them with machines. Americans had no problems with migratory Mexican field workers who went back and forth across the border... til the disinformation campaign that they were STEALIN ER JERBS.

So I always ask conservatives to consider this: Would they even give two fucks about Mexicans if the talking heads had never told them to hate Mexicans? One has to wonder what the present would look like if the factory workers who lost their jobs had instead been told that their jobs were being taken away by automation.
    A strong manufacturing sector? That's not quite right. Most of the alledge gains are accumulated in the computing and semi-conductor sector. The remaining sectors of the manufacturing industry have shown mediocre growths in productivity. Also if there is an automation wave as people are saying why isn't it showing in the productivty statistics?

Big numbers are scary. Check $25000 against the average income of the planet. It'd be significantly high compared to half the world. Who has it worse the lower class in the US or the lower class of the entire planet?

This relation you use satisfies the standard curve. Thanks for blowing the horn if bad statistical analysis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Don't mind me. I'm just tired of getting yelled at about what an apathetic and self-centered asshole I am, despite almost all of my political views being things that help people who aren't me, often at my expense, so I kind of wish I could implement a set of policies that would show them what being an apathetic and self-centered asshole really looks like.
    ILU Nixx.

10loves

You can never truly own a house. You pay off your mortgage and you still have to pay some form of property tax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    But Hillary totally would have done things better right? I mean because the poor really prospered under Obama! Or maybe we needed Bernie in so he could drive us straight to the shitter by making everything free.
    Well we'll never know. All we DO know is that Trump isn't doing anything about it, and doesn't seem too keen on doing anything about it, which is an issue because he promised you he'd do something about it.

That you'd let that promise slide "because Hillary probably wouldn't have done differently!" is just another example of Trump supporters not being willing to hold him to anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Big numbers are scary. Check $25000 against the average income of the planet. It'd be significantly high compared to half the world. Who has it worse the lower class in the US or the lower class of the entire planet?
    That's an irrelevant point of comparison, seeing as the US usually likes to claim it's a more advanced country than Nicaragua or Zimbabwe.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.