Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Actually the rate at which criminals return to prison may surprise you.

I looked it up...

According to a report by the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) about 68 percent of 405,000 prisoners released in 30 states in 2005 were arrested for a new crime within three years of their release from prison, and 77 percent were arrested within five years.
    Recindivism rates are exceptionally high in the US because of a social stigma against criminals, poor work placement programs, poor in-prison work training programs and poor rehabilitation programs.

So yeah, we keep them off the streets for a few years then we let them out and they're still criminals, because we did nothing about their criminality while they were locked up.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Capital punishment is absolutely barbaric.

It's fucking hilarious that Americans deem themselves more civilised than the countries they oppress or the immigrants they ban based on their background, but they're OK with this shit.
    It is Constitutional and what we do care about is our Constitution. What we do not care about is other country's opinion of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Recindivism rates are exceptionally high in the US because of a social stigma against criminals, poor work placement programs, poor in-prison work training programs and poor rehabilitation programs.

So yeah, we keep them off the streets for a few years then we let them out and they're still criminals, because we did nothing about their criminality while they were locked up.
    It could also be because our prisons are not that harsh as some think.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could also be because our prisons are not that harsh as some think.
    Physical abuse doesn't work on children. Why would you think it works on adults?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It is Constitutional and what we do care about is our Constitution. What we do not care about is other country's opinion of it.
    Then you're a bunch of hypocrites for bashing Islam for stoning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    Would you be willing to demonstrate fixing a wrongful imprisonment? We can lock you up for the next twenty years as part of this demonstration.
    You can't give them the time back, but you can release them and try to compensate them in some way for the error. Certainly there are parts of imprisonment that are irrevocable. But you can at least give an innocent man or woman a part of their life back.

You can't do the same for those we've wrongfully executed.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Physical abuse doesn't work on children. Why would you think it works on adults?
    You're talking to someone who believes that does work.

However, a small, limber willow branch on the legs of a little kid by the parents can help them get the message.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Arkansas executions: first prisoner killed after legal challenge fails

He most likely was innocent.

I don't have any words for this. I think the UN should intervene and punish every1 involved. We can't stand by and do nothing while we let this massacre go ahead.
    What evidence do you have that he was innocent? Your feelings? Try to stick to the facts. Especially when someone posts the guys history that includes other rapes and murders 20 min after you made the thread, meaning info his privious crimes were readily available.

Personally I think spending you life like a caged dog is worse than death but dude look at the evidence before you go around calling people probably innocent.
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2017-04-22 at 04:49 AM.

If the jury made the right decision in the case I'm glad another murderer is dead, in any of these cases. Some facts about the case

--Lee was a convicted serial rapist, including the rapes of a 17 year old and 70 year old woman.
    --The judge in the case was having an affair with and married the prosecutor
    --Gorsuch cast the "deciding" vote in the case.

I really can't see a way to garner much sympathy for a dog like this guy being put down at this point. I just wish some of these guys would take a play out of Aaron Hernandez's playbook and kill themselves so the public wouldn't have to dirty their hands with the deed.

He was a serial rapist, and his own son called him the embodiment of evil. There was plenty of other evidence to convict him. DNA testing was not required. Wtf is wrong with you people? Go be outraged about something more important. Holy shit...

I really can't see a way to garner much sympathy for a dog like this guy being put down at this point.
    Then you're not much better. Capital punishment is one of the most barbaric practises in the ''civilised'' world. Second only to alimony.

Actually the rate at which criminals return to prison may surprise you.

I looked it up...

According to a report by the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) about 68 percent of 405,000 prisoners released in 30 states in 2005 were arrested for a new crime within three years of their release from prison, and 77 percent were arrested within five years.
    Maybe I should have bolded "some", I'm no stranger to people who have zero regard for the law. Some are arrested for doing something stupid (DUIs, tax evasion, etc), I wouldn't classify them as a career criminal. I was simply listing several purposes of punishing beyond just the idea of "justice".

- - - Updated - - -

Are you against life imprisonment?
    Nope, some are simply too dangerous for society.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Taking morality advice from you...
    That was a joke.

Though I do personally think alimony is dumb and way too easily abusable.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    The problem I have with DNA is that it can be misused, and if you have dishonest police and dishonest prosecutors explaining it to a jury that don't understand DNA than its bad for justice
    Seems like the problem is with Dishonest Police and Prosecutors then...not DNA
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Eye witness testimony is notoriously unreliable, whereas DNA evidence is rather reliable until it becomes easier to fabricate DNA.
    DNA tests have been shown to be misleading several times in the past.
    People have been killed on false evidence by DNA tests.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Thats a problem with everything
    It's ironically a problem on a spectrum.

You see, we've reached the point where the more we trust something, the worse it is for us.

This means that camera footage and DNA are the worst offenders and need to be criticized and distrusted as much as possible. Because everything can be misusesd, and everything can be manufactured and modified now, and in seamless ways that can't be tracked, let alone proven, by even the best of the best.

Ironically, video and DNA are of less worth than hearsay. And if we've paid attention to hearsay in this thread, that guy was a murderer, even if they couldn't pin real evidence on him.

Your country is killing itself slowly, and I smile..

Then you're a bunch of hypocrites for bashing Islam for stoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    This is not new information. A lot of Americans think being an American means never having to say you're sorry while being able to demand everyone else say sorry all the time, even when you're the one who is wrong.
    I don't see the hypocrisy in thinking that executing someone for murder is morally acceptable but that stoning someone for being homosexual is barbaric.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Your country is killing itself slowly, and I smile..
    Ha! You know what makes me smile? Bitter haters with obvious inferiority complexes that really believe they're on the way to catching up.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was a joke.

Though I do personally think alimony is dumb and way too easily abusable.
    you also think it's acceptable to push women down stairs. any morality comments from you are a joke.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The joke was just about alimony? It makes more sense if you meant the whole thing as a joke.
    Yes, the joke was about alimony. Capital punishment is barbaric and has no place in the civilised world. The US is the only country in the WEst that uses it.

It's also the only country that doesn't use metric.

Coincidence?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you also think it's acceptable to push women down stairs. any morality comments from you are a joke.
    Well I'm about to deliver some morality to you, trying to bait someone makes you a bad person.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't see the hypocrisy in thinking that executing someone for murder is morally acceptable but that stoning someone for being homosexual is barbaric.

[COLOR="#417394"][SIZE=.
    Your argument is that it's your Constitution/your laws. OK.

Then why do you whine about Islam having its own laws? That's the hypocrisy.

Your argument is that it's your Constitution/your laws. OK.

Then why do you whine about Islam having its own laws? That's the hypocrisy.
    That's not my argument and I have no problem with Islamic nations having Islamic laws. I don't like those laws much, but it's really not my business. Provided that no one attempts to import those laws to my country, it's really neither here nor there to me if prevailing sentiment in other places is barbaric to me.