Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    I retract my statement, philosophy has been trash ever since Wittgenstein with the exception of Ayn Rand.
    Rand is and always has been a joke. Continental philosophers laughed at her simplicitly and her ideas would have long been dead but for the enormous amount of money pumped into spreading them.

Heidegger, derrida, foucault, serle, satre and a host of others are far more worthy of study even if you disagree with their conclusions.

Well it's the UN what do you expect here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Is it as big of a joke as the misinformed disbelief in this thread though?
    What's there to be informed about?.

Makes about as much sense as most other things going on in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Now that they are on the commission do they have to treat women better? Or is it UN being desperate for money again?
    Judging by Saudis change of attitude towards human rights after being elected as the head of the human rights council, I guess the latter is true.

So how many people here know how seats at UN councils are given out. I'm gonna go with zero. Well look it up. I'll wait. It'll make this thread much less shocking.

I do wanna say though one thing. When it comes to national prerogatives , two can tango. It's great when it's your country or an ally, but it sucks when it is well... Saudi Arabia on this council. But it is exactly the same thing. The rules apply to everybody or nobody.

Don't think they've given them a spot to celebrate them...

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    Saudi Arabia a country brave enough not to saddle women with the burden of driving. Great choice in my opinion.
    Going by statistics, men are the ones failing at the driving thing. Just sayin'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    So how many people here know how seats at UN councils are given out. I'm gonna go with zero. Well look it up. I'll wait. It'll make this thread much less shocking.

I do wanna say though one thing. When it comes to national prerogatives , two can tango. It's great when it's your country or an ally, but it sucks when it is well... Saudi Arabia on this council. But it is exactly the same thing. The rules apply to everybody or nobody.
    Probably through regional slates like the human rights one is.
    What makes it less shocking?.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Probably through regional slates like the human rights one is.
    What makes it less shocking?.
    Bingo. When your competition is Egypt, Iraq, syria, Yemen or sudan, you're getting a shit sandwich either way. It's not like Saudi Arabia took Finland's spot.

But what is the purpose of the UN? Is it a representative assembly of the human race on a person basis? Or of nations? It's clearly the latter. It is not a world government. It is a standing forum for the nations of the world to interact. As such, look at it from Saudi Arabia's perspective. Why is this unfair to _them_? It's not. It's perfectly fair to nation states. Of course, not to women.

So why is this not outrageous? Because the alternative is simply *not* the UN as we know it. It's a different type of body where the metric is different rather than regional bloc's. Thats fine if you want better international action on issues like this. But it's incompatible with the idea of keeping international forums short of a formal world government.

Basically, we can't pick and choose. It neither the UN system or something that discriminates against nations in a way that won't awlways be in the West interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Rand is and always has been a joke. Continental philosophers laughed at her simplicitly and her ideas would have long been dead but for the enormous amount of money pumped into spreading them.

Heidegger, derrida, foucault, serle, satre and a host of others are far more worthy of study even if you disagree with their conclusions.
    And philosophers themselves are a joke, meme tier career with no prospect.

Deleted
    Bingo. When your competition is Egypt, Iraq, syria, Yemen or sudan, you're getting a shit sandwich either way.
    So why is this not outrageous? Because the alternative is simply *not* the UN as we know it.
    Basically, we can't pick and choose. It neither the UN system or something that discriminates against nations in a way that won't awlways be in the West interests.
    It is still very shocking.
    Which you can relate to your most recent presidential election. Democracy sometimes elects a nutjob. It's shocking and outrageous. The alternative is *not* democracy as you know it. But that can't stop you from showing discontent at the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Wouldn't their slate also include Israel, Jordan, Kuwait though?

But yes, as I said earlier the UN is simply a forum for state actors to meet when they don't have a more specific (and empowered) forum backed by a more substantial relationship.
    Israel is part of "Western Europe + others" I believe (which includes Canada and the US). Jordan and kuwait are part of Saudi Arabia's group, but maybe they had done a tour recently. Seats in regional spots are usually on a rotation of sorts

Deleted
    I thought people would be happy, this will throw a wrench into the evil cogs of feminism and SJWism.

Good luck filling 11 Asian spots for the UNCSW without running out of countries that don't suck in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Is anyone truly surprised by this? The UN is dominated by Arab countries using underhanded tactics to get whatever they want. Just look at what they get away with while forever painting Israel as the bad guy. The UN has become a useless, corrupted, perverted farce, full of bureaucrats with their snouts in the trough. It needs to be dismantled.
    Yeah, Arab countries totally have the power or even numbers to dominate anything. And what if I told you that the reason Israel gets more shit is transparency? UN has simply access to more data about what's going on in Israel than the Arab countries.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    the UN has always been a joke, ever since they appointed Saudi Arabia as the head of the council, this isn't anything new.
    So, since never?

Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    I retract my statement, philosophy has been trash ever since Wittgenstein with the exception of Ayn Rand.
    True, calling Ayn Rand trash would be undeserved praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharein View Post
    The UN is a useless, leftist organization filled with hypocritical morons.
    All of my wat.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2017-04-24 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    What kind of echo chamber do you have to be living in to actually believe this? If by "classical liberal culture" you mean having your governments so afraid of being labeled bigots that they refuse to release crime statistics involving "refugees" (aka invaders), and having whole neighborhoods that are effectively not police-able, then, sure. It's so sick that it's to the point where London's mayor basically says "tough shit, terrorism is here to stay" and women in Sweden are told to curb their behavior so they don't instigate the savages. Where is your liberal culture now? Multiculturalism is a failed experiment, and it's ridiculous cowards like you that'll help usher in the new Dark Ages.
    Where does this happen? I haven't been told to curb my behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Seriously, why does the UN even exist?
    it's the worlds comedy relief..

Technically, it's a commission of the Economic and Social Council. Though the general process is similar. The main difference is that while councils are filled by the General Assembly, commissions are filled by the councils they are under.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

In the meantime, there's way less outrage for electing in the corrupted oligarchy to solve the widening wealth gap and trickle down issues.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    10-20? I mean what do you mean by respectable? I'd expect we can find at least 45 that do not openly oppress women or only have limited issues like the USA's war on abortion. The EU has 28 countries by itself after all.
    Yeah I'm counting the EU countries there.

You might exceed 20 using tiny nation states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Well, maybe we are going towards a world where women "should know their place"?
    Islamisation is something that's gaining momentum in many parts of the Western world, so this UN election could possibly be fitting in the coming times.

And even though I don't like the idea of going back to the middle ages, many people in the West are apparently welcoming these cultural traits with open arms so who am I to say anything about it?