Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Let's all buy 5lb bags of $10,000 in shredded US currency!

Who's with me?!

For just $45.00 (U.S.), YOU TOO can own your very own 5 pound bag of shredded US currency, originally valued at approximately $10,000 and delivered right to your home or office!

Am I the only one thinks this is... well, just awesome? I can't imagine a better conversation piece to have sitting somewhere around the house than ten grand cut up and in a bag. I mean, just... wtf? If I saw this at a friend's house, I highly doubt my first thought would be, "well obviously you just bought that direct from the US Mint" -- knowing that, you could probably make up some pretty crazy stories behind having it just for fun.

Could people take advanage of this, though? I'm guessing the answer is "no" as it wouldn't be for sale otherwise, but don't some people make counterfeit money by "washing" bills and others by breaking them down? I remember reading somewhere that one of the biggest challenges was getting the right type of paper. I doubt anybody could recycle this at home but what if you also went along and bumped into somebody with one of these?:

http://gizmodo.com/this-ingenious-pr...-pa-1745703546

Anyways, the point here isn't the potential for counterfeit; it's that this is just random as shit and totally awesome. If I ever have $50 burning a hole in my pocket and decide I feel like buying something totally pointless and random (and let's admit it, we all buy stupid shit at times) I think this is gonna be it.

I don't know if I could resist opening the thing up, though. Oh man, there's so many ideas, now I want to buy an extra one so I can dump it out somewhere and have people think I legitimately just destroyed $10,000. Or I could stage some sort of robbery scene from a show, where I took all this money from somebody and then go "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!" and show them that I cut it all up, throwing their own shredded money in their face. Never before have I been to spend under $50 to imitate the destruction of $10,000 with *real* money. I doubt many people know they can buy this, and the ones that do definitely haven't thought of any great ideas for it yet. We MUST be the first.

They actually use to sell these as pillows a few years back.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is indeed very random. I guess you can buy this and then back up statements like "I wipe my ass with money" or "I don't rest my head on anything but 100s" or whatever.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Damn you Cross Cut Shredders!

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'll get the scotch tape.
    Right? We can all just hire a bunch of kids in our neighborhoods to start taping this junk together. Don't banks accept torn-up bills if you can tap them and have more than 70% of the bill or whatever? Shredded might be pushing it, but hey... let's go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    They actually use to sell these as pillows a few years back.
    Really? I can't imagine that being very comfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    It is indeed very random. I guess you can buy this and then back up statements like "I wipe my ass with money" or "I don't rest my head on anything but 100s" or whatever.
    I feel like his would be very difficult to wipe with.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Cross cut or confetti cut?
    I think... confeti? I don't really know the difference, but I think it's in strips? I'm assuming "cross cut" is if it's cut in both directions and so it's in squares? I can't be 100%, though.

Oh, and another cool thing: This is all uncirculated money so it's not dirty and gross! You really COULD wipe with it, like somebody else said, and not contract quite as many horrific butt-diseases!

Edit: The page specifically says "shredded" twice so I think that means it's probably strips, so yeah, whatever that is. Confetti? Is confetti strips? Man, I just realized I don't think I've ever really looked at confetti.

Yeah, some people will buy these to use it as wallpaper or make stupid shit to sell on etsy or something, but why not?

>Buy bag
    >Pour bag into briefcase
    >Walk around with briefcase of $10,000

You're a big shot now!

Deleted
    get the glue fellas

10+ Year Old Account
    I can imagine the echos of evil laughter coming from the department of treasury.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    I can imagine the echos of evil laughter coming from the department of treasury.
    I'm imagining them looking depressed, having to bag that for sale, just so they can stay in business when the wall building starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    Right? We can all just hire a bunch of kids in our neighborhoods to start taping this junk together. Don't banks accept torn-up bills if you can tap them and have more than 70% of the bill or whatever? Shredded might be pushing it, but hey... let's go for it.
    As per the law.. 50% of the original bill, undamaged, must remain to get credit?

https://www.moneyfactory.gov/service...edemption.html

Free Public Service

• Clearly more than 50 percent of a note identifiable as United States currency is present, along with sufficient remnants of any relevant security feature and clearly more than one-half of the original note remains; or,

• Fifty percent or less of a note identifiable as United States currency is present and the method of mutilation and supporting evidence demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Treasury that the missing portions have been totally destroyed.
    since its the treasury thats selling the bag in the first place, id say they are satisfied with the level of destruction and would not allow redemption for full face value.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2017-04-26 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    thinking of using it for pillow stuffing... not sure why.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    >Buy bag
    >Pour bag into briefcase
    >Walk around with briefcase of $10,000

You're a big shot now!
    Yeah, no

All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Sort of highlights the lack of value in the dollar. Obviously it's from the treasury, and they can decide how to distribute money so it doesn't lose value, but this somehow still feels like waste, money that could go to other causes, like homeless shelters or road repairs
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Sort of highlights the lack of value in the dollar. Obviously it's from the treasury, and they can decide how to distribute money so it doesn't lose value, but this somehow still feels like waste, money that could go to other causes, like homeless shelters or road repairs
    It's bills taken out of commission, often due to wear. The things wear out, and banks will turn in old bills for new ones. Not much that can be done with the old bills other than destruction.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Yeah, no

But if it's all shredded to pieces, it's going to fill up that briefcase!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    It's bills taken out of commission, often due to wear. The things wear out, and banks will turn in old bills for new ones. Not much that can be done with the old bills other than destruction.
    According to the site, these are undistributed and have never been in circulation.

My guess is it's probably bills that got screwed up during printing. Basically flawed bills that wouldn't go into circulation due to defect.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess is it's probably bills that got screwed up during printing. Basically flawed bills that wouldn't go into circulation due to defect.
    That too. Non-recyclable material.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account

According to the site, these are undistributed and have never been in circulation.

So, wouldn't that just mean your paying $45 for complete rubbish then? If they have no value, then your not really buying a bag of shredded money, just a 5ibs bag of rubbish.
    #boycottchina

This isn't money that would be otherwise used for something else, it's money that wasn't entered into circulation. It's not as if it would have been used for something better had they not decided to sell these; if anything, this is MORE fiscally responsible as they are getting *some* value for what is effectively junk paper that would have been tossed.

- - - Updated - - -

So, wouldn't that just mean your paying $45 for complete rubbish then? If they have no value, then your not really buying a bag of shredded money, just a 5ibs bag of rubbish.
    Well, yeah. It's shredded paper. It just wasn't "monetized" -- it's still "real" money, though. It was still printed and all that, it's not just blank money-colored paper.

Was anybody confused by the aspect of this being "rubbish" though? It's literally a bag of trash, it's just cool that that trash happened to be money at some point; "monetized" or not.

This reply has a lot of "quotes"