Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Military discharge/firearm question

So I wanted some info for a friend of mine that I want to hire, but I do require that he can own a firearm. He has a non violent non drug related bad conduct discharge from the military from when he was 18 from what he says. Im not sure what the laws are about it I found on google that Dishonorable discharges do ban you from owning one but he says for sure his isn't dishonorable. Just wondering if there is a quick answer before me or him go on a hunt for info.
    Semper Fi

15+ Year Old Account
    Go with him to the closest gun shop and do a background check.

Do you think we are mentalists here?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    So I wanted some info for a friend of mine that I want to hire, but I do require that he can own a firearm. He has a non violent non drug related bad conduct discharge from the military from when he was 18 from what he says. Im not sure what the laws are about it I found on google that Dishonorable discharges do ban you from owning one but he says for sure his isn't dishonorable. Just wondering if there is a quick answer before me or him go on a hunt for info.
    So you run a business that requires employees to carry a firearm. But you're ignorant of firearms laws in your state....

This will not end well.

You can check his DD-214 discharge papers and it will tell you what his discharge was.I highly recommend getting a certified copy of it. From there you can find out if he can legally own a firearm. I mean as an employer do you not know how to find out if an employee is eligible to work?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    So you run a business that requires employees to carry a firearm. But you're ignorant of firearms laws in your state....

This will not end well.
    Lol im not even up and running yet. Just planning phase

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=mayhem008;45511890]You can check his DD-214 discharge papers and it will tell you what his discharge was.I highly recommend getting a certified copy of it. From there you can find out if he can legally own a firearm. I mean as an employer do you not know how to find out if an employee is eligible to work?[/QUOTE

Im obviously not wondering if he is eligible to work im wondering his firearm possession rights man...read the post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You can check his DD-214 discharge papers and it will tell you what his discharge was.I highly recommend getting a certified copy of it. From there you can find out if he can legally own a firearm. I mean as an employer do you not know how to find out if an employee is eligible to work?
    Ive seen it it says bad conduct. Im wondering if he can own a firearm or not.
    Semper Fi

7+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Cuzzin;45512162]Lol im not even up and running yet. Just planning phase

- - - Updated - - -

You can check his DD-214 discharge papers and it will tell you what his discharge was.I highly recommend getting a certified copy of it. From there you can find out if he can legally own a firearm. I mean as an employer do you not know how to find out if an employee is eligible to work?[/QUOTE

Im obviously not wondering if he is eligible to work im wondering his firearm possession rights man...read the post

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think mmo-c is the right place for this, you would be better served on a NRA forum or your local Wal-Mart.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was a dishonorable discharge he can't, that makes him a felon... If it wasn't, he probably can unless he is a felon from something else, which judging by his already established poor character, doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

How are we supposed to know whether it was a dishonorable discharge or not...? You are the only person here who knows him... Were you expecting someone to look into their crystal ball?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol im not even up and running yet. Just planning phase
    Save those LOLs for when you start shopping around for GLI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I don't think mmo-c is the right place for this, you would be better served on a NRA forum or your local Wal-Mart.
    Quote Originally Posted by The National Rifle Association
    Of course he can own a gun. What the fuck is wrong with you. Even if he isn't "supposed to" have one, he damn well better have a gun. He needs guns. God demanded that he own at least one firearm, purchasable at any of the links below.....
    /10linksforfreedom
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Deleted
    Dishonourable discharge in the US military makes him a felon and that means he cannot legally own a firearm, if he got fired at 18 then I would guess drug use which leads to me ask why you would employ a known druggie. Quiz him and judge for yourself then phone the feds to find out the real story.

[QUOTE=Cuzzin;45512162]Lol im not even up and running yet. Just planning phase

- - - Updated - - -

You can check his DD-214 discharge papers and it will tell you what his discharge was.I highly recommend getting a certified copy of it. From there you can find out if he can legally own a firearm. I mean as an employer do you not know how to find out if an employee is eligible to work?[/QUOTE

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like if you're requiring the ability to carry a firearm for employment then it seems like the first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with firearm laws. This would seem to apply to whether or not military discharge is a factor. 5

#IStandWithGinaCarano

It sounds like the OP is asking about finding out if a person is honorable vs dishonorable discharge, not gun laws specifically. The Freedom of Information Act allows the public access to certain information without the veteran's authorization. I believe honorable/dishonorable discharge is included, though I'm not positive. Doing a google search pops up a lot of sites that can help you. Search for Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) or download SF-180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, form from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Or just type your question into google and follow those links.

You could also go to a gun shop with the dude and have him try to purchase a firearm (like someone above suggested). They will do the background check right then and there. If he can get the gun, it was not dishonorable.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    It sounds like the OP is asking about finding out if a person is honorable vs dishonorable discharge, not gun laws specifically. The Freedom of Information Act allows the public access to certain information without the veteran's authorization. I believe honorable/dishonorable discharge is included, though I'm not positive. Doing a google search pops up a lot of sites that can help you. Search for Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) or download SF-180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, form from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Or just type your question into google and follow those links.

You could also go to a gun shop with the dude and have him try to purchase a firearm (like someone above suggested). They will do the background check right then and there. If he can get the gun, it was not dishonorable.
    Or he could just look at the potential employee's DD-214. It will say right on it if there's a honorable or dishonorable discharge.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

This. If he is a friend of yours, it shouldn't be a problem to obtain a copy of the DD-214 from him.

And just to clear it up a bit, a dishonorable discharge is a felony level offense. A bad conduct discharge is in line with a misdemeanor.

Or he could just look at the potential employee's DD-214. It will say right on it if there's a honorable or dishonorable discharge.
    Right, but IF the guy is trying to lie he may not be willing to share that form. May make some bullshit excuse that might sound reasonable to somebody that doesn't know better. You already mentioned the DD-214 earlier. I was just giving the OP another option. But yes, he could look at that form.

Retired Army, never seen a single case of a BCD with an Honorable Discharge. However, the status of his discharge doesn't really matter, what does matter is what he did that got him that BCD and if that carried any period of confinement with it. Any confinement over a year constitutes a felony and would bar him from ownership; anything less than one year is a misdemeanor (unless it was domestic violence charge, which also prevents him from ownership).
    Last edited by Mercane; 2017-04-27 at 01:15 AM.

If he was dishonorably discharged that means he had a court martial and was convicted which is a felony and bars him from owning a gun period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

If he received a bad conduct discharge, he did not receive a dishonorable discharge. There are Multiple types of military discharges. Honorable, General, Other Than Honorable, Bad Conduct, and Dishonorable. Only the Dishonorable discharge prevents someone from owning a firearm, as it requires a felony offense. With a bad conduct discharge, he is fine to own a firearm. Though a Bad Conduct discharge is far from a trivial thing to be overlooked.

Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD)

The bad conduct discharge is only passed on to enlisted military members and is given by a court-martial due to punishment for bad conduct. A bad conduct discharge is often preceded by time in military prison. Virtually all veteran’s benefits are forfeited if discharged due to bad conduct.

Dishonorable Discharge

If the military considers a service member’s actions to be reprehensible, the general court-martial can determine if a dishonorable discharge is in order. Murder and sexual assault are examples of situations which would result in a dishonorable discharge. If someone is dishonorably discharged from the military, they are not allowed to own firearms, according to U.S. federal law. Military members who receive a dishonorable discharge forfeit all military and veterans benefits and may have a difficult time finding work in the civilian sector.

http://www.gijobs.com/what-you-need-...ble-discharge/
    Last edited by daenerys; 2017-04-27 at 02:54 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do not hire him for carrying a firearm. Do not let him around any if you do hire him for some other type work. There are only 3 discharges which can still give a veteran the right to own a firearm. Honorable, General and Medical. Even then, the Medical reason has to be non mental health reasons.

Being a veteran myself with a RE code of re 1, on block 24 of his dd214 there you should tell what specifically his discharge was for, as an employer you need a copy to be eligible for the tax benefits for veterans.

Not allowed to post links, but look at this page -

navycs.com/military-re-codes.html

add www to it.

My advice would be to learn more about the benefits and challenges for hiring veterans before you even think of starting the hiring process especially when firearms are involved.