Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question What's left of Vanilla?

As someone who joined in Cataclysm, I'm curious as to what is actually left from Vanilla in the current game. Questlines, unaltered zones etc

I've done Loremaster of EK and Kalimdor and all that comes to mind is Swamp of Sorrows and Dustwallow Marsh.

Most of the Quests are the same (like 80% perhaps), but almost all endzone Quests are new with cata (vehicle combat did not exist in vanilla, nor did any of those Quests where you fly and throw bombs on mobs).

In terms of quests the zones havent changed to much but the order you get the quests and the overall flow of the zone is changed alot. Also many zones got new visuals.

Dustshallow marsh and Silithus are indeed probably the two least changed zones.

15+ Year Old Account
    People that keep complaining how much better vanilla was.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Hand of Freedom and Buble ^^

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Quote Originally Posted by VolksDK View Post
    As someone who joined in Cataclysm, I'm curious as to what is actually left from Vanilla in the current game. Questlines, unaltered zones etc

I've done Loremaster of EK and Kalimdor and all that comes to mind is Swamp of Sorrows and Dustwallow Marsh.
    No those were changed as well. Nothing from the Vanilla 1-60 zones are really intact. I mean some of the quests and quest givers might be the same but every zone has new quests and usually some slight alterations to the zone itself. Any quest with a vehicle, for example, is post cataclysm. I believe vehicles were added in Wrath.

Honestly there isn't much at all. It kind of saddens me tbh. I genuinely don't like some of the alterations to the zones, quests, or dungeons. A lot of people hated Sunken Temple for the amount of time that it took to complete, but dungeons back then were supposed to take a while. You were supposed to get lost and explore and all of that. It never made much sense to my as to why they changed this dungeon but left others like Wailing Caverns intact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Most of the Quests are the same (like 80% perhaps), but almost all endzone Quests are new with cata (vehicle combat did not exist in vanilla, nor did any of those Quests where you fly and throw bombs on mobs).

In terms of quests the zones havent changed to much but the order you get the quests and the overall flow of the zone is changed alot. Also many zones got new visuals.

Dustwallow has had the bombing of Theramore and a big bridge put through it but yeah otherwise it's pretty much the same.
    Other candidates could be Moonglade, Winterspring, Un'Goro, Hinterlands, Arathi Highlands, and Teldrassil I think.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Killing kobolds in Elwynn is the same.

The Darrowshire quest chain from Vanilla in EPL is still ingame but nerfed so it can be done solo.
    Most Dustwallow Marsh (Theramore) quests are also the same seeing how the zone hardly got any changes when the Cataclysm hit.

the little herbalism glove icon that shows when you're about to pick an herb from vanilla i still remember it . . .

Deleted
    This is all actually pretty interesting to hear, I didn't know about the vehicle thing. I guess that's why the first fight of Ulduar is so vehicle focused?

Deleted
    the raids, BWL MC and AQ are as far as i can tell completely unchanged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly all I can possibly think of is Winterspring.

Elwynn 5-11. Outside of a few things. It's the same. Defias name removed, hogger quest altered, rare doesnt drop a jeweled dagger.

Strawberry I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Have you even seen the mess of a quest zone before they even added the goblin outpost? Dude.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I remember right, every old dungeon quest almost the same, even tho all quest givers were moved inside the instances, exclude the ones (razorfen kraul, chasm, downs, etc.) that were totally changed. I would even say Blackwing Lair is the same, Molten Core (well, they added pets to that, in MC deleted quintessence to distinguish the runes to summon Ragna (I believe it was in BC).
    Hm... Silithus didnt change, I guess, Un'goro didnt meet anything really new (but the portal to Sholazar Basin in Wotlk + winsterspring mirror quest for mount). What else..? Winterspring. Timberbraw Furbolgs and their rep is the same (only farming faster). hmmm... Arathi. AQ 20/40 are the same.

What else? Blackrock mountain is the same <3
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Quote Originally Posted by VolksDK View Post

Nothing remains untouched. The zone with the least change is Silithus. If you want a taste of what vanilla questing was like (sort of), that's the place to go.

Swamp of Sorrows was overhauled, and Dustwallow was actually revamped in BC, not vanilla.

Most zones actually have the old quests, but stitched together into a big questline with fancy new quests and story lines. Searing Gorge is a good example of this.

If you're wondering, the zones completely whose quests and storylines have been rebuilt from the ground up are Westfall, Darkshore, Tirisfal Glades, Stonetalon Mountains, Southern Barrens, Azshara, Hillsbrad, Thousand Needles, WPL, Blackrock Steppes and Badlands. Not coincidentally, they are easily the smoothest and most fun questing experiences of 1 - 60.

I think the old raids like Molten Core and Blackwing Lair still look the exact same, its just the mobs that are different statted. The whole vanilla experience is gone trough, thats why people want vanilla servers to experience it again.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of the starting zones are mostly the same. Obviously it depends on the race, but areas like Darnassus and Elwynn aren't a whole lot different. The only other zones I can think of that really didn't change was Silithus, which mostly remains intact today (which leads me to believe that it actually has potential to be made into something else at some point).

Outside of that the raids aren't really different. Lots of the dungeons have been altered or revamped to some degree, aside from a couple of them.

Keep in mind some are visually pretty different, but a lot of the quests are the same. Areas like Dustwallow don't look that much different, but certain areas have been changed a lot, and depending on the faction you play, you could see way different quests (Horde is a lot different there now).