Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Personally I don't think just raising the minimum wage is what's needed, raising the personal exemption is needed just as much (is there a US equivalent?) maybe more. $13-17 is probably enough for most places, though as others have said its going to depend heavily on the area. Also glad that provincial governments are once more looking at universal incomes, which I really think will help everyone.

For those curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincome
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    they need to get off their lazy asses and get better jobs instead of thinking they can flip cheeseburgers forever.
    You need to get off your lazy ass and read about how supply and demand works in the job sector.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    At least $15/hour.

Remember - minimum wage is not about how much you feel someone is WORTH, it is about how much is required for someone who is working to SURVIVE.
    I'm not sure what to say about someone who thinks that a person is worth less than the amount required to survive, because of the type of work they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dittoooo View Post
    The other day, I was catching up on the wage situation in Canada and came across this bit of data.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/queb...-11-25-an-hour

Phew, what a doozy. Quebec's minimum wage is in-line with the Canadian average but still much lower than some of the other provinces such as Alberta, where the Oil & Gas industry continues to give 'Texas North' a massive edge in salary incentives -- up to 40% more.

Since this is an international forum, there are bound to be conflicting opinions on the matter. Not that I'm looking to exploit this in any way, shape, or form.

Are you FOR or AGAINST a minimum wage increase in your area of living?

lazy scums should start working if they want something out of life

minimum wage only promotes laziness and living of social benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm not sure what to say about someone who thinks that a person is worth less than the amount required to survive, because of the type of work they do.
    because thats how world works ?

since like forever ?

if your work gives your employers X amount of money then you cant expect him to pay you X + 20%X just because you want nicer life

work enough to provide him with X% + 20 % X and then you will get a nice raise

if you are unable to do so tough luck should have made better life choices in past.

Deleted
    I couldn't give less of a shit how high it's set.

I'll see you in court for damages over my split sides.

- - - Updated - - -

What's that, $35k a year before tax? I don't know how anyone can live in Melbourne on that.

Also where the fuck are you renting at $170 a week? That must be split with a housemate.
    Something like 36k a year. A simple google search will have you find rooms for that price (yes with housemate).

Lets pretend you are spending 900 a month on rent. How is that an issue? That's not even a third of your income. On what could you be splurging over 2000 a month on ? (Food ~400-500, travel ~250, phone ~80, insurances ~200). How on earth is that not manageable?? You got around 1000 disposable income!

Keeping in mind that this is minimum wage we are talking about here.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2017-05-04 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Sometimes jobs you take to get you by at some points aren't mean't to be long term careers that you can live comfortably from.
    it actually was at one point. MINIMUM WAGE(i know it's hard for you grasp) was completely livable. now you get a job in the city? GL affording a place to live. you'll need to work 2 FULL time jobs. MOST of the time 2 Full time Jobs don't even cover the costs of a 1 bedroom apt. and you'll need government assist.

You live on a fucking moon dude.

$15 as the bare minimum.

Deleted
    Well preferably to the point where tax revenue don't need to be used to sustain people that are working full time. I find it tiresome that there is million and billion dollar profit companies that are essentially pushing the line where taxes need to be spent on full time working people, just to prevent all out poverty problems, it is frankly fucking disgusting that it is even a thing in modern society.

Especially since corporate taxes have gone nothing but down, so they don't even support the system that they are creating in a meaningful way.

"Because that's how the world works."

What a scary phrase. Let's just keep doing this because fuck it that's what we've always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    This is such a dangerous mentality.

In the decades after the war which saw a strong middle class and even growth from top to bottom, factories were a good source of low-skill jobs that one could get right out of high school and earn a living wage. Now, we have far fewer manufacturing jobs available- the service sector has taken over- and instead of the new service sector jobs being low-skill with livable wages, they are much harder to get by on. To make matters worse, efforts to unionize are shouted down, and the idea that these jobs should pay decent wages the way the factory jobs did are met with criticisms such as "they aren't supposed to be a career," or "they're really jobs for high schoolers."

One of the problems we've had with poor wage growth and declining middle class is that the jobs that replaced the manufacturing sector jobs aren't as good- and instead of trying to make those new jobs better, one side is insisting that the workers in those jobs- who, a few decades ago may have been in a better-paying manufacturing job with the same minimal educational requirements- don't deserve to be paid more.
    No it's a perfectly reasonable mentality. The dangerous one is taking jobs away from teenagers to make your distortion to certain type of jobs and this expectation of some type of living standards as a requirement seem unacceptable. Just leave those jobs if they can't provide for you long term. There are plenty of good jobs for people that are willing to get training could do. I'm more for government partnerships working to get people better jobs than this nonsense of telling every high schooler that they can just drop out right now and don't have to get a better job. It's a race to the bottom with what you are wanting to accomplish.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-05-04 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    For. (United States.)

Somewhere around $15 an hour, indexed to the cost of living and inflation, seems like it'd be enough. That's a rate that would vastly improve purchasing power without raising labor costs or cost of goods too high.

There is a limit that's too high. $15 is not that limit.
    End of thread.

Seattle implemented a $15 minimum wage in 2014. What we've seen there are minimum wage paying jobs are down, or hours are cut tremendously. It has made almost no difference in the minimum wage employees standard of living. There are fewer jobs, and the unemployment rate is higher. The national unemployment dropped in the same time that Seattle's unemployment rate rose. It's worth noting that a higher minimum wage will not destroy an economy, it just means there will be fewer jobs in that target market to employ from. If you're okay with that, then a $15 minimum wage is fine.

My personal opinion; shoot for higher than a minimum wage paying job. Most of us have worked for minimum wage at one point or another in our life. I found out very fast that I didn't want to be living paycheck to paycheck for the rest of my life. Unskilled labor is exactly what it is, and doesn't need to pay above a certain standard when one is so easily replaced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    Seattle implemented a $15 minimum wage in 2014. What we've seen there are minimum wage paying jobs are down, or hours are cut tremendously. It has made almost no difference in the minimum wage employees standard of living. There are fewer jobs, and the unemployment rate is higher. The national unemployment dropped in the same time that Seattle's unemployment rate rose. It's worth noting that a higher minimum wage will not destroy an economy, it just means there will be fewer jobs in that target market to employ from. If you're okay with that, then a $15 minimum wage is fine.

My personal opinion; shoot for higher than a minimum wage paying job. Most of us have worked for minimum wage at one point or another in our life. I found out very fast that I didn't want to be living paycheck to paycheck for the rest of my life. Unskilled labor is exactly what it is, and doesn't need to pay above a certain standard when one is so easily replaced.
    This seem to be the reason most people are against the minimum wage.

If your labor is earning your employer 14$ an hour, its a pretty bad business to pay you 15.

In the case of quebec i actually think the raise is fine. The cost of living among the lowest. Even in montreal an app with single bedroom can be under $600.

I'm not sure what to say about someone who thinks that a person is worth less than the amount required to survive,
    I'm not too sure what to think about someone like you who misinterprets my words to think that's what I said.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    1. The dangerous one is taking jobs away from teenagers to make your distortion to certain type of jobs and this expectation of some type of living standards as a requirement seem unacceptable. 2. Just leave those jobs if they can't provide for you long term. There are plenty of good jobs for people that are willing to get training could do. 3. I'm more for government partnerships working to get people better jobs than this nonsense of telling every high schooler that they can just drop out right now and don't have to get a better job. 4. It's a race to the bottom with what you are wanting to accomplish.
    1. Some countries have an age scale for minimum wage. The average minimum wage worker is 35 or so (up from decades ago-that's the reality of our economy). I'm more concerned about whether they can make a living than the unemployment rate of people living with their parents.
    2. So then the company hires somebody else..."get a better job" isn't a societal solution
    3. Yup. We do spend pathetically little on worker training- an area of expenditure that usually has good ROI
    4. The real race to the bottom is how workers are treated in our economy today. Paying pathetic wages becomes a competitive advantage that gets mirrored throughout an industry as other companies have to cut costs to stay competitive.

More to my original point: why is it acceptable that low-skill jobs that once paid a living wage have been replaced by low-skill jobs that don't?

Quote Originally Posted by strangerdanger View Post
    "Because that's how the world works."

What a scary phrase. Let's just keep doing this because fuck it that's what we've always done.
    Why should an employer hire you if you don't generate sales/revenue more than what he pays you? What is the point in even hiring you? He isn't a charity. If you add 10 dollars worth of value then he shouldn't pay you 11.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    Seattle just hit $15 this year for large businesses, and doesn't hit $15 until 2019 for businesses under 500 employees, so the wage increase isn't even fully implemented yet. Seattle's unemployment rate is also just about 3% despite a slight 6-month uptick that happened in 2015- which is attributed mostly to high population growth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Do you think giving poor people free money will fix why they were poor or not have ripple effects?

- - - Updated - - -

Government assistance isn't money he earned, it's money that people voted to have the government steal from other people.
    Americans are funny. The middle class hate the poor and the poor hate the even poorer. Meanwhile the 1% are laughing all the way to the bank. Misdirection and divide and conquer has never been done more elegantly.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

lazy scums should start working if they want something out of life

minimum wage only promotes laziness and living of social benefits.
    Ahem. If the minimum wage was set to being livable, there wouldn't be a need for social welfare benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    because thats how world works ?

since like forever ?

if your work gives your employers X amount of money then you cant expect him to pay you X + 20%X just because you want nicer life

work enough to provide him with X% + 20 % X and then you will get a nice raise

if you are unable to do so tough luck should have made better life choices in past.
    I'm having serious doubts you have a clue on how wages work. How much money does an HR rep bring for the company? The janitor? The chef? Police officers? I can go on. Few are actually paid based on how much money the bring for the company. Their jobs exist because they are needed for the organization to operate. You are thinking strictly on commission based jobs.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.