Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Businesses ramped up hiring in April as U.S. economy regained speed

Employers added a robust 211,000 jobs in April, a sign the U.S. economy is strengthening after meager growth in the first three months of the year.

The nation's jobless rate ticked down from 4.5 in March to 4.4 percent, the lowest level since May 2007, the U.S. Labor Department said Friday. A broader measure of unemployment, which counts unemployed people, discouraged workers and those working part-time who can't find full-time work, also dropped to a nearly 10-year low, at 8.6 percent.

By industry, the biggest payroll gains were in leisure and hospitality, which added 55,000 jobs, and health care and social assistance, which added 36,800. The retail sector, which was up by 6,000 jobs in April, has lately been a drag on overall job growth, with 14 companies this year announcing closing or liquidation. A total of 56,000 retail jobs were lost in February and March.

Some analysts had raised concerns about a possible slowdown after a disappointing March job report and first-quarter GDP estimates that showed growth slowing to a glacial 0.7 percent.

But the Federal Reserve on Wednesday dismissed the first-quarter weakness as "transitory," predicting that the economy would gain speed over the rest of the year. With a stronger-than-expected hiring report Friday, the central bank is on pace to raise interest rates when it meets again in June.

"The month-to-month numbers are unreliable, but what will get the Fed's attention is that the unemployment rate has fallen from 4.8 percent in January to 4.4 percent just three months later," Ian Shepherdson, chief economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics, said in a note. "Fed hawks will now be even keener to see rates rise further, despite the leveling-off in hourly wage growth in recent months.

The official unemployment rate has hovered under 5 percent for a year. But although most economists think the labor market is at, or approaching, full employment, trouble spots remain.

Wage growth in April slowed down from its pace earlier in the year, rising at 2.5 percent annually, to an hourly average of $26.19. That's below the 3 or 4 percent growth typically seen in prior recoveries.

The number of people who are sitting out work altogether remains historically high. The labor participation rate -- the portion of the population that is either working or available to work
    -- was 62.9 percent in April. It's been at or below 63 percent for three years, a rate that was last seen in the late 1970s. In part, that reflects America's aging population, as older people exit the workforce.

"There is room for [participation] to increase, but it's not going to go back to where it was before," said Gus Faucher, chief economist of the PNC Financial Services Group, ahead of the jobs report. "It's an older workforce, and more people are not interested in working."

The rate is likely to remain low for the near future, economists say, as more baby boomers retire and many young people postpone their first jobs to pursue an education. The drop in younger people working, in particular, comes in part from the high costs of living coupled with sluggish wage growth, said Lindsey Piegza, chief economist at Stifel Fixed Income.

"There's a lack of motivation among some of the younger Americans, who just spent the last four or six years earning a college degree at a hefty price, and then can't find a job above minimum wage," she said. "And a lot of women are saying, 'When you look at the rising cost of childcare compared to what I can earn in the marketplace, why am I forgoing staying at home with my children?'"
    I just hope the average family income starts to climb much higher it was since 2008.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. From 40% unemployment to 4.4% unemployment in just a matter of 4 months. Great job Donny.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Wow. From 40% unemployment to 4.4% unemployment in just a matter of 4 months. Great job Donny.
    Yuuge gains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making America great again, one step at a time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Making America great again, one step at a time!
    4% GDP growth baby!

"Some analysts had raised concerns about a possible slowdown after a disappointing March job report and first-quarter GDP estimates that showed growth slowing to a glacial 0.7 percent. "

Oh.
    Eat yo vegetables

Swen Ekaf.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-05-05 at 06:00 PM.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, Obama.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    WE DID IT TRUMP!

God bless

MAGA! WINNING!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Obama!

Thanks, President Trump!

Pretty cool news. Thanks Trump!!

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note. I don't think reduction of the LFP of people retiring or pursuing education isn't a problem. That would just add incentives to automate. What I do find troubling is the fact that people perfectly able to work aren't.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-05-05 at 05:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My company has never not been hiring. We always have openings.

Get those STEM degrees done people!

A record setting 86 straight months of job growth.

DAMNIT OBAMA, WHY DID YOU FUCK UP THE ECONOMY SO MUCH!?

So the stats aren't fake anymore? I'm losing track

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Enjoy the slowing wage growth.
    It's been lslow the last 8 years, it can't get much slower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by antelope591 View Post
    So the stats aren't fake anymore? I'm losing track
    Nope, all the stats are real now. Since January 21st

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It's been lslow the last 8 years, it can't get much slower.
    How was it right before Obama became president? Fastest ever?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Thanks, President Trump!
    FAKE NEWS!! Unemployment is 40%, Donald Trump inherited a DISASTER, TREMENDOUS PROBLEMS BIGLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    How was it right before Obama became president? Fastest ever?
    The Economy grew so fast under Bush it turned into a Bubble and burst.

Thank you Obama for fixing the economy. Thank you Trump for convincing the stock market to invest their warchest.