Ghostcrawler reveals entire failure to date is still his fault!

Quote from MMOCHAMPION front page, Ghostcrawler reveals in this quote how his legacy of game design continues to remain and cripple to this day:

"Adding dual-spec pretty much killed the need for this. I have mixed feelings about dual-spec. It definitely gave a lot of flexibility to players, and since the only cost of respecing was hassle, it made sense just to ease that hassle. But I definitely think it made each of our individual characters (not the classes, but the characters themselves) less unique. No longer did I have a Demonology warlock with (for better or worse) max ranks in Demonic Knowledge and Master Conjurer . I just had a warlock who could be whatever he wanted to be at any moment in time depending on the immediate needs of a boss fight or how much I wanted to PvP. Diablo 2 made you commit to your talent trees, and there was something kind of cool about that compared to the unparalleled flexibility of Diablo 3." -Ghostcrawler

He was angry that players could switch their specs and talents easily to succeed.

The very artifact power weapons we use right now, in Legion, that pigeon-hole players into spec investment with nasty repercussions for any serious raiders for making faulty choices, proves that to this day, Ghostcrawler's horrifying game design continues to haunt the surviving players of World of Warcraft to this very day!

What a nightmare! When will we truly be free from his bad design?

10+ Year Old Account
    Angry? He clearly says "mixed feelings"... If you think that means "angry" you need to grab yourself a dictionary.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Damn. We are STILL blaming Ghostcrawler for everything?

I completely agree with him.

Restrictions get you to commit harder.

Also every spec in Legion now feels like their own beast, it's amazingly better than the homogenization of WoW that was happening beforehand.

Bringing up AP as a reason why you can't play another spec is also very silly given how you can just grind daily quests for a day or so and have the weapon of another spec in comparable quality to your current weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    Quote from MMOCHAMPION front page, Ghostcrawler reveals in this quote how his legacy of game design continues to remain and cripple to this day:

"Adding dual-spec pretty much killed the need for this. I have mixed feelings about dual-spec. It definitely gave a lot of flexibility to players, and since the only cost of respecing was hassle, it made sense just to ease that hassle. But I definitely think it made each of our individual characters (not the classes, but the characters themselves) less unique. No longer did I have a Demonology warlock with (for better or worse) max ranks in Demonic Knowledge and Master Conjurer . I just had a warlock who could be whatever he wanted to be at any moment in time depending on the immediate needs of a boss fight or how much I wanted to PvP. Diablo 2 made you commit to your talent trees, and there was something kind of cool about that compared to the unparalleled flexibility of Diablo 3." -Ghostcrawler

He was angry that players could switch their specs and talents easily to succeed.

The very artifact power weapons we use right now, in Legion, that pigeon-hole players into spec investment with nasty repercussions for any serious raiders for making faulty choices, proves that to this day, Ghostcrawler's horrifying game design continues to haunt the surviving players of World of Warcraft to this very day!

What a nightmare! When will we truly be free from his bad design?

Dual spec was created because players were already switching specs as needed. All dual spec did was remove the wait while your raid teammate hearthed, respecced at town, then got summoned back.

Making the game inconvenient for players is not good design. It's not interesting. It's not "fun" to have your time wasted because you clicked the wrong skill like in Diablo 2 and had to make an entirely new character(sound familiar with legendaries?).

The only reason most of these decisions to slow players down is not what they say. It's not to make the game more interesting, or to make your choices matter, or any of that bullshit. It's 100% to waste your time and increase sub profits. I hate it so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    you also left out the last paragraph.

i can see were hes coming from. thinking about it only from a very strict raiding point of view. i can imagine being hell for a designer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Angry? He clearly says "mixed feelings"... If you think that means "angry" you need to grab yourself a dictionary.
    Look at OPs name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I completely agree with him.

Restrictions get you to commit harder.
    I completely agree there too, but it's not really a commitment when you can respec. You just have to fly to town every time you wanna do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Also every spec in Legion now feels like their own beast, it's amazingly better than the homogenization of WoW that was happening beforehand.
    I'm going to sort of disagree with this...

Every SPEC feels like it's own beast, when it should be every CLASS feels like it's own beast... We are at the point now where every spec feels like a different class, and that is absolutely not how it should be... A paladin should still feel like a paladin first, *spec* second and they absolutely don't, this is the case for most classes this expansion, they heavily sacrificed class identity in favor of spec identity (which they admitted was a problem in the most recent Q&A).
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    He was the Overmind and forced control all of blizzard! Very evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling that the primary reason people keep up conversations with GC about WoW is that they're trying to bait out a response to vindicate their own feelings of having grown tired of playing WoW.

Exhibit 1: this thread.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

well he's right about diablo 2, that was cool and diablo 3 is a sack of complete shit, diablo 3 you don't choose talents or abilities, you play what the set bonuses or legendary items tell you to play.

and OP needs a good infraction for doing what his name says.
    Last edited by Socialhealer; 2017-05-08 at 03:47 AM.

Deleted
    I mean you have to think about it this way. If you can change your talents, you can go to an NPC, pay gold, and change your talents around, effectively changing your spec and your skills, there is no real commitment anyway. It's just a hassle in the end. But what is the alternative, not allow respecs? That is problematic in a game where talents are changing. Not to mention, you level up a character, usually you don't know all the ins and outs when you start playing the game. So you make mistakes. Imagine being stuck with your talent choices from 10 years ago. That is where the artifact weapons are actually a great compromise. You are kinda stuck with your choices, but you will eventually unlock all traits anyway, so you're not fucked forever.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    It's not interesting. It's not "fun" to have your time wasted because you clicked the wrong skill like in Diablo 2 and had to make an entirely new character(sound familiar with legendaries?).
    To be fair you'd have to try really hard to click the wrong skill in Diablo 2 since they were like 1" x 1" squares with separation. Attribute points would be even harder.

That's not to say you didn't reroll a character like 9 times a week anyway because you found something better and wanted to absolutely min/max your attribute ratios.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-05-08 at 03:51 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ghostcrawler is absolutely right. You lose a sense of character identity if choices cease to have meaning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    well he's right about diablo 2, that was cool and diablo 3 is a sack of complete shit, diablo 3 you don't choose talents or abilities, you play what the set bonuses or legendary items tell you to play.

and OP needs a good infraction for doing what his name says.
    Diablo is a different game than WoW. WoW is an MMO, your talent choices and your performance affect whether you get to see and finish content, whether people take you on raids to begin with. Imagine you pick your talents and can't change them. You start playing. You have no clue. Then you get to the endgame and everyone laughs at you for being a noob and having picked the wrong talents and they won't ever invite you to groups. What are you gonna do, start over? Yeah that would've been great especially in Vanilla and TBC. In Diablo it is a lot easier to just start over. And even if you don't, you'll still be able to kill everything in game, especially if you just keep leveling up. In WoW, boss fights are tightly balanced around your level, your stats, your maximum healing, dps, survivability. If you don't min max, you're not gonna beat the hard content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Ghostcrawler is absolutely right. You lose a sense of character identity if choices cease to have meaning.
    Choices still have meaning though. Isn't it meaningful what spec you pick? You can't change your spec mid-fight, which is where it really matters. What's the point of forcing people to fly back to town all the time? You're still gonna respec, it's just gonna take longer. And what's the point of a group breaking apart because no one wanted to go respec?
    Last edited by mmocdf92b69352; 2017-05-08 at 03:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    To be fair you'd have to try really hard to click the wrong skill in Diablo 2 since they were like 1" x 1" squares with separation. Attribute points would be even harder.

That's not to say you didn't reroll a character like 9 times a week anyway because you found something better and wanted to absolutely min/max your attribute ratios.
    I was gonna say, it's less "oops my finger slipped" and more "in theory, skill x sounds awesome, but in practice it does damage like a wet fart while skill y next door crushes packs like rednecks crush beer cans on their foreheads."
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Diablo is a different game than WoW. WoW is an MMO, your talent choices and your performance affect whether you get to see and finish content, whether people take you on raids to begin with. Imagine you pick your talents and can't change them. You start playing. You have no clue. Then you get to the endgame and everyone laughs at you for being a noob and having picked the wrong talents and they won't ever invite you to groups. What are you gonna do, start over? Yeah that would've been great especially in Vanilla and TBC. In Diablo it is a lot easier to just start over. And even if you don't, you'll still be able to kill everything in game, especially if you just keep leveling up. In WoW, boss fights are tightly balanced around your level, your stats, your maximum healing, dps, survivability. If you don't min max, you're not gonna beat the hard content.
    thanks captain obvious. will the sun be coming up tomorrow?

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking what GC said and misrepresenting it, especially to stretch it out like this, is really just baiting the forum.

Closing.