Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    So let's say I wanted to do the required training to become a Navy SEAL but had no intentions of joining them. Like right now I'm a certified lifeguard even though I've never held a lifeguarding job before. Is this possible??

I think the training is cool and would like to experience something like it!
    What? You think the government would waste all that time to train someone to be a combat professional on land, sea, and air...and then just let you walk off no strings attached?
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Why do the training if you don't want to become one?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join the Navy, and help the world get rid of ISIS int he process. Go get that dream. Become a SEAL. Be a man. Be a killer. BE A SEAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    This is true. You'll have a class of 100 guys and only 2-4 of them are left by the last week. During the first week, you'll see this skinny short guy standing there next to a guy who looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger and you're thinking "how did that little guy even get there?" Six weeks later that little guy is still there and Schwarzenegger is long gone and forgotten.
    QFT

Ranger training is almost as grueling, except it isn't the swimming part they have to go through first, it's running non-stop 23 out of 24 hours. No sure how many days that's supposed to be kept up...But the big muscle-bound dudes don't tend to make it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    He is triggered, and you can't read.
    I did read your post, you said the core of the program is indoctrination to go die on command. I'm telling you it's the opposite. The core of the program is to find the ones that will never give up so they don't just die.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    There is also a shit ton of misconception about SFs where people think they are terminators. They die more often than you think, depending on the frequency of combat that an army engages.
    You got any proof to back that up? Or just going to pull more shit out of your ass?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Dammit why do people say this.

Just because MMA fighters have rules in bouts doesn't mean that all of a sudden they stop being able to fight outside of the rules. Infact they can fight better unrestrained by rules. They are trained killers. No joke.
    You need to put down the koolaid.

Navy Seal training and the BUDS course you take before even starting your training is more willpower and commitment than anything else. Most guys go into the course already at peek physical condition often from tough combat related roles like the rangers but the BUDS course has well over a 80%+ drop out. The instructors know just how to bring people to the brink of sanity with out actually killing them, something no personal trainer is going to want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How does "cross force" thing work in the US? Can someone from eg. the Army or Marines apply for Navy SEAL's? Or if you've been in the Marines, can you join/apply to some Army job or training?
    You can re-enlist into another branch, but you gotta meet your service requirement in whatever branch you are in (4 years active duty for most) first unless your current branch is willing to let you go early.

If you are going from the Marines to any other branch, you likely will not have to complete basic training, if you are coming from any other branch to the Marines you will have to do the Marine boot camp, regardless of your previous rank. That is for Enlisted ranks, I am not totally sure how it works for officers, but I imagine they would have to attend Officer's Candidate School in the Marines as well if they were transferring from another branch.

There are some specific examples of being able to cross-train with other branches. Army Ranger school is a notable one. Regardless of what branch you are in, you can apply to attend it and even are authorized to wear the Ranger tab upon completion.
    Last edited by volescue; 2017-05-13 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    You got any proof to back that up? Or just going to pull more shit out of your ass?

I would say the rate that SF/SO is definitely higher than the average grunt. But finding hard numbers is rough, you can look up the casualties specifically, a quick look in Afghan and Iraq show that SF/SO represent almost half the KIA from this year 5 out of 11. Granted the scope of operation is way different than what it was. But there are way less of SF/SO in general and they deploy in smaller numbers. So the danger of being in SF/SO is most likely greater than the average soldier.

Although 1 KIA was non-hostile, most of the non SF/SO were non-hostile. I'm also not counting a guy who is Airborne as that really isn't a SF/SO unit.

Regardless of training, they are still asked to do very dangerous missions. Usually bringing them into contact with the local populace who aren't always keen to work with them.
    Last edited by McFuu; 2017-05-13 at 07:35 PM.