Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

Was quite left leaning, but have slowly been turned off by the left.

So for most of my life I would have identified as been fairly left leaning and open to moat things. But i have felt in the last few years that the left is just not for me anymore. Special interest groups, identity politics and lack of direction has turned me off. Now I do not identify with the right either and feel I am closer to the center.

I am for universal healthcare and taxes to pay for services and infrastructure. But i do not like how both the right/left continue to make laws to protect us from ourselves. I am also angry about the right and left are invading our privacy.

Have your politcal prefernces changed recently as parties change and become seemingly more extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    So for most of my life I would have identified as been fairly left leaning and open to moat things. But i have felt in the last few years that the left is just not for me anymore. Special interest groups, identity politics and lack of direction has turned me off. Now I do not identify with the right either and feel I am closer to the center.

I am for universal healthcare and taxes to pay for services and infrastructure. But i do not like how both the right/left continue to make laws to protect us from ourselves. I am also angry about the right and left are invading our privacy.

Have your politcal prefernces changed recently as parties change and become seemingly more extreme?
    well typically as people get older, get a job, and work for a living, they become more and more conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    well typically as people get older, get a job, and work for a living, they become more and more conservative.
    Well yes, but conservatives are just as bad.

Only weak people feel the need to identify themselves with organizations and parties. I'm an independent person.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    How is it the saying goes again, if you are not a liberal at 25 you have no heart -- if you are not a conservative at 35 you have no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they don't, there's literally no evidence of this. Right wing make believe about how they are more mature and intelligent

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Got any evidence to back this up?

As said as your get older, get more social skills, more life experience you tend to start losing your young ideological ways and head a bit more centrist - right. Mainly because you have financial obligations and possibly a family, so tending to care about any one outside of your social circle declines drastically.
    Last edited by Fleuria; 2017-05-13 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post

These are not actually right or left policies specifically, but the policies of people in the right or left. If you don't want people supporting those policies to be making decisions, do what you can to get people that share your beliefs more closely into office.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    No they don't, there's literally no evidence of this. Right wing make believe about how they are more mature and intelligent

Which is funny when you look at how the highly educated lean more left than they do right.

To put it in non-PC way: people get stuck up with their views, and are no longer willing to be open for change, despite the times changing all the time.

Not all, but way too many I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I started becoming more conservative after I started working, I got my first paycheck and i saw how much was taken off in tax and national insurance.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

I can understand where you are coming from. I identify as more on the left, but with the way things are going I feel more like being in the center is where the reasonable people are at.

The people on the right want to restrict what you say or do out of religious beliefs or economic reasons. While the people on the left want to do the same because you will hurt someone's feeling among other things.

When the far left and far right go so far around they eventually become indistinguishable from one another.
    World of Warcraft: Level 60 Blood Elf Holy Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbraker View Post
    I can understand where you are coming from. I identify as more on the left, but with the way things are going I feel more like being in the center is where the reasonable people are at.

The people on the right want to restrict what you say or do out of religious beliefs or economic reasons. While the people on the left want to do the same because you will hurt someone's feeling among other things.

When the far left and far right go so far around they eventually become indistinguishable from one another.
    Exactly, I feel the same as this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Irony here of course being that the left has a reasonable and understandable approach to identity with it being a multi-faceted thing, but liberals go fucking insane about how many gay people are in their awful comic book movies.

This accusation that only the left plays identify politics is just absurd. Which party tied to ban gay marriage? Which party made a big deal of what bathrooms people use? Which party tries to legalize discrimination under the guise of "religious freedom?" Which party tries their hardest to suppress votes of minorities?

"I don't like the left because they play identity politics" is just bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    How is it the saying goes again, if you are not a liberal at 25 you have no heart -- if you are not a conservative at 35 you have no brain.
    I've never heard of that "saying", it must be something local.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, i used to lean to left as well. Now, i embrace everything i despised when i was a teenager (and thus, easily manipulated).

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    I've never heard of that "saying", it must be something local.
    I'd bet it's local in deep red states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The defensiveness from the Left in this thread is hilarious :P