10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Does the game still purposely rank you lower after placements, or is that done with now?
    I got placed 150 points higher, so I don't think intentionally lower has ever been a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I got placed 150 points higher, so I don't think intentionally lower has ever been a thing.
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20391338

To address these issues, we’ve made some slight adjustments to the Skill Rating system—and, as a result, skill ratings will be more widely distributed across all tiers for Season 3. Many players will be ranked lower than expected after their Season 3 placement matches; however, this should normalize as the season progresses.
    Not exactly "lower than what you should be", but still lower and normalize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20391338

Not exactly "lower than what you should be", but still lower and normalize.
    Then they must have changed it as I did place really low on S3 after finishing S2 on a bad run of losses. S4 I placed that 150 higher, but still climbed to 2100 really quickly. Not played a lot of Comp since I got to that point though because real life things happen.

I'm having a lot of fun with some of the custom game modes, especially the 'Mercy paintball' and 'reach enemy spawn without being seen moving' games that have become fairly popular. I enjoy it much more than the base game and avoid competitive outside of placement matches and only really tackle quick play when there's a new event out. Loot boxes aren't relevant to me outside of events since I already have everything I want for the heroes I play often.

Deleted
    It's been all right. Quick play has finally become too cancerous for my liking, so dabbling in competitive since 2 weeks.

Usually I'd do my placement matches and then not bother anymore (6hr max for each past season including placements). So Season 1 I rated like 52 I think, Season 2 I was Gold. Season 3 Gold. (I'd only queue with friends, so doing my placement matches made me end up at their ranks)
    Season 4 (current) and I managed to reach Diamond.

It's a back and forth really. I usually win when I solo queue, but I've had 2 major losing streaks so far, losing 100 SR each streak (regained them with winning streaks).
    Suffice to say, I think I'd probably cap at Masters if I ever got the chance. I hate to be that guy, but I mostly lose because of people throwing or picking Hanzo (what's the diff). I definitely don't see myself as the best player on every team I get matchmade with, but when your losing games end with you having 3 gold medals as Lucío for elims and damage, there's not much left to be said.

Since I have over 500hrs in quick play, I can play every hero decently enough except Widowmaker. So whatever my comp team needs I usually provide and keep up with. My most played are Winston, D.Va and Zen atm because dive comp and the fact that no one in plat/diamond knows how to get dva out her mech. I will play anything so long as I have the team to back me.

I reckon I have a decent chance to reach Masters after next season's placement games.
    Last edited by mmoce1f817744b; 2017-05-14 at 08:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't tried any custom games aside from testing things, but I keep meaning to because I like the idea of some fun/unique gamemodes.

What is mercy paintball/ruleset?

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    4-4 tonight, one match shooting straight was not my team's strong suit; Ana was too concerned with failing to kill Pharah to actually kill anyone while 76 was doing, not a lot. Fairly depressing when Gold Eliminations is at 1, and they're near Checkpoint 2. Even moreso when you triple that with your first three shots after going Widow. Ended up holding until Overtime after some others switched out, but couldn't quite make it. On attack, again, Pharah immediately takes 2-3 of the team out, so I go Widow again and force her to switch, after that it went okay until the last 3m but could do no more.

D.Va attack and Orisa defence seems to work for me though, still on a net gain of SR, although only 10 tonight, a bad Volskaya was the big setback I think. Gonna be a slow climb, but my win rate is now up from 45% to 49% so all moving in the right direction. 6 wins from a golden gun too.

Also this happened: http://plays.tv/video/591782aca5b209...eaky-d-va-can-

I don't know how I got away with it, but I did. >.<

ok i know they added a mechanic to make draws to matches but some mind explaining to me how that works? i got into a hollywood match where both teams pushed the payload to the end. my team then had to defend which we did and they didnt even get a third of the bar but when the match ended it said draw so what gives? had they capped it they would've won or would it be a draw? if we managed to defend shouldnt my team have won?
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordin Solus View Post
    ok i know they added a mechanic to make draws to matches but some mind explaining to me how that works? i got into a hollywood match where both teams pushed the payload to the end. my team then had to defend which we did and they didnt even get a third of the bar but when the match ended it said draw so what gives? had they capped it they would've won or would it be a draw? if we managed to defend shouldnt my team have won?
    Basically, they capped it with a load of time left, so they get that time back to win an extra point, so they get to Attack and if they get that point they win. If you'd had time left on the clock, you'd get that chance to, but if you have I think less than a minute or get there in OT then you don't have enough time to get that opportunity to try to take that Point.

If you both have time, then Team A can get Point A, and try to go for Point B/Push the Payload as far as they can; then your team has to do better on your attack.

- - - Updated - - -

Sunday afternoon is awful. Morning was okay, but since midday lost over 100SR, back at Silver.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-05-13 at 11:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    i had to quit playing because my old PC was dying and ran it horribly.
    finally got a new PC that runs it flawlessly a couple of weeks back and have taken it up again.

But jesus i don't remember MM being this horrible.
    i'm consistently at level 32 getting matched up against teams composed entirely of people that's prestiged several times (where our team has two or fewer above first prestige).
    i find it incredibly difficult to keep interest when i keep getting onesided slaughterfest MMs like this.
    Would you prefer to wait 2 hours for another 11 lvl32 players?

Deleted
    Not played in a few months, and it was just the same as when I left

[Derp1]: "all play <insert character>!!!"
    most do, we loose game
    Repeated for 5 games in a row, I log out.

Will try again later at night when the kids have gone to bed. not interested in the ranked option, just the free for all arcade to get a few extra loot boxes.

After playing comp some days I'm starting to lose my will to play the game more... People don't play to their best, run into 4 people now and last night that just started playing intentionally bad after we didn't get payload to the end and it was our turn to defend... Lost 120 rating due to these people making us play 5v6...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    After playing comp some days I'm starting to lose my will to play the game more... People don't play to their best, run into 4 people now and last night that just started playing intentionally bad after we didn't get payload to the end and it was our turn to defend... Lost 120 rating due to these people making us play 5v6...
    You must be new to online games, welcome to hell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    i'm consistently at level 32 getting matched up against teams composed entirely of people that's prestiged several times (where our team has two or fewer above first prestige).
    The game shouldn't be matching people based on level. Account level really doesn't mean a whole lot and is not what MMR is based off of. The correlation between level and skill is loose at best, as plenty of people who have played a lot have hit the ceiling on their skill level and plenty of new people are coming into the game with a lot of FPS experience and very good mechanical ability. The only real time that account level is relevant is when someone is super new to the game because then there hasn't been enough playtime for Blizzard to figure out where they belong in terms of MMR. That might be the case with you but you're really on the cusp if it is.

That's not to say matchmaking is perfect and you won't see steamroll games once in a while (in your favour or theirs) especially if you're new enough that the game hasn't figured out where to place you, but overwall I feel like Overwatch has some of the better matchmaking out there. Generally nowadays when I see super onesided games, it's either in quickplay where people are picking bad comps to try out different stuff -- in which case skill is only going to help so much -- or in games where both sides may have similar skill level but one side has superior communication.

(The latter is especially common, I think. I often queue with a group of three or four in competitive but we are just a few friends playing together and no one is shot calling or planning strategy aside. Sometimes we will get matched up against other groups that have lower SR but clearly are doing those things, and they will outplay us as a result.)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Comp seems a lot worse on the weekends, probably because all the noobs are playing instead of being in school.
    i5 3570k
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I haven't tried any custom games aside from testing things, but I keep meaning to because I like the idea of some fun/unique gamemodes.

What is mercy paintball/ruleset?
    Basically it's:

- All Mercy
    - 200 HP, 1 hit KO
    - Elimination mode
    - Increased ult gain (1 kill = immediate max ult charge)
    - Increased movement speed

It varies ever so slightly but that's usually the gist of it. Quite addictive, and it's very satisfying when all five teammates are dead but you get a kill off, res at least some of them and the tide changes and leads to a sudden victory.

Some people do it with Ana, too, but I find Mercy to be more satisfying due to her rate of fire and the ability to revive teammates as a risk/reward sort of deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got my golden gun, at last. It took 28 matches to get the 7 wins. I lost 350SR in the process down from 2100 to 1770 and a 44% WR. Utterly ridiculous.

I am never playing comp on a Sunday, ever again. I may not even play comp again. Fuck that, it was awful.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-05-14 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

most do, we loose game

Will try again later at night when the kids have gone to bed. not interested in the ranked option, just the free for all arcade to get a few extra loot boxes.
    Pick mystery heroes then if anything.
    You can't really blame people for playing no limits the way it's intended

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

most do, we loose game

You're playing the No Limits brawl. Which is specifically made for shenanigans and silliness. If you want semi-serious games, but not ranked, then you're looking for Quickplay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're playing the No Limits brawl. Which is specifically made for shenanigans and silliness. If you want semi-serious games, but not ranked, then you're looking for Quickplay.
    yeah I understand that I am in the game mode specifically for silliness, but quickplay would be better off titled "Play eventually"