Page 1 of 3
LastLast

If you had the chance to exist past death

If you were given the chance to live past the death of your body, would you want to?

before you answer.

The Brain can't be sustained. Your memories, thoughts and feelings, knowledge and really everything that makes you -you- those aspects would be lost. In your new form you would only retain your electrical signal, the living "action potential" that permeates the blood brain barrier and can adapt on the fly as it dictates existence through your central nervous system.

Does this cross the line where to be alive is not really living or would you be willing to be almost reborn in a sense for the objective of extending your natural bias in a clean formatted vessel?

10+ Year Old Account
    You wouldn't know that you are...so why would it matter. Mute question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFalcon View Post
    You wouldn't know that you are...so why would it matter. Mute question.
    My thoughts exactly... I don't see the point.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    No, I wouldn't want to be a zombie.
    more like a baby than a zombie

Only if I also had all the money in world. But couldn't spend it.

And if I was the prettiest being in existence. But everyone would be blind and unable to feel touch.

I wouldn't be alive anymore. I'd be little more than electrical impulses.

Granted in a sense that's what I am now, but in this current form I'm capable of such critical things as memories and learning. Without that this is comparable to saying that because my body decomposes and gets eaten by bacteria, and those bacteria live on utilizing that biomass, in that sense I'm still alive. I'm not, as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

For this, we're leaving biomass to the zerg. You can lose a leg and still be you. You can have your heart replaced and still be you. Heck you can even obliterate large percentages of the brain and still be.. a version of you. Youd also be able to learn again, if you gained talents on how you saw the information, that's for testing to prove but you wouldnt be trapped as an impulse. You would have a hard restart. Get burned to learn fire is hot, decide if you like the cold wind or not.

The question seems contradictory. The "I" will not exist past death according to your conditions.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I don't think you know enough about what you're asking to ask it. Action potential is a term used in neuron weighting and firing, if all the varieties of action potential are somehow maintained, then your brain is still intact with all it's memories, thoughts and feelings minus some chemical needs. The blood brain barrier protects the brain, feeds it food, and gives it chemical feedback from the body.

Try to ask the question without throwing in jargon.

If you're implying you'd be "reborn" in a way...as in, still alive but not you anymore then I don't see the point. Why keep living if you're not able to....well, live as you. Also by your requirements, you don't mention that your family/friends will forget about you so could they not nurse you back to health, sort of like working with someone who lost their memories due to trauma of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    The question seems contradictory. The "I" will not exist past death according to your conditions.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I see the point. I'd be dead and someone who's not me would exist in my place. What good is it to me..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Yup.
    Contrary to what some prefer to believe (looking at "Ghost in a Shell" bullshit), memories are a part of what makes you...you. Self-realization, self-awareness, self-knowledge, self-discipline, (note the theme self-mastery). Memories are slices of time the we acquire as we age. All of which help us grow stronger in ways that we as children can't know until we get older.

"I" will not exist without my memories.
    "I" would be "someone else."
    Only someone with a lifetime of being inflicted with abuse would desire such a fate.

Deleted
    Life without a tallywacker? Pass.

If my brain dies, I die

Everything else would just be a simulation of me that isnt me

10+ Year Old Account
    If everything that I am dies, then what's the point? That new being is someone else entirely. *I* wouldn't be there to experience any of that.

Don't understand the rest of your post. I'd be "reborn" as what now? Seems like bad science fiction.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-05-15 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by God8010 View Post
    more like a baby than a zombie
    Might as well be the same thing.

Reminded of an old, but great pc game; Planescape; Torment

I don't understand, what am I if I choose to continue? The body is dead, and the brain is dead, so motion would be impossible. Unless you're saying I'd become some kind of ghost? In which case what's the point with no memory, that would be a very sad existence.

Or is this a rebirth thing? Like my consciousness becomes somebody else, so essentially a new being that I'd call me? Because I'd do that one.
    Last edited by Better; 2017-05-15 at 12:36 AM.

There is a lot of unknowns in something like this. I personally feel fate is a thing and regardless of how many times you learn what a dog is, the impulse to harm the dog or love the dog is a measure of fate. I don't believe you could ever learn not to be an animal lover regardless of how many times you're presented the information. Granted I would be horribly wrong if I could prove a form of free will and see different choices by the same person with the only change being the new perception. Until you have the programming language of memory, at best your hoping for new adaptation through a lack of better options. Would you even grasp the new interface, that's one hell of a testing process.

Under the conditions of the OP, no. If I am not aware of my current mind than there is no point to existing as another thing. It's meaningless.