Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What do you do for protein snacks? Also weight loss journey.

For those of you that work out and try and keep a high metabolism what you do you eat for protein through the day? I am trying to improve my diet and metabolism and I need ideas for what to eat every three hours or so. I've looked online and I do find some but i've been eating hardboiled eggs and cans of tuna but I need something else as I'm getting sick of them so I can mix it up. I just bought some beef/elk jerkey sticks from ostrim, not a fan of the sodium but I like them so far so they help with something different. Just need more ideas for easy snacks/meals.

I'll tell my story so far for tips if anyone has any on improving what im doing.
    I've been going to the gym about 5 nights a week since February. I usually do 3 on 2 off, I do tris/chest, legs, biceps/back/shoulders/core. I just added shoulders and I feel like my third day is getting too crowded but I've been doing it. I am also trying to do cardio on my off days, I don't do it on my weight days because that's energy wasted I feel. I'm not really sure how much fat I've lost but I'm 6'3 and I have been 350 for the entire time it feels. However since December when I made a diet change (didn't start gym hard until February) I've lost 6 inches off my waist so I know I am losing it, plus I feel more solid and my muscles are bigger than I've ever had. I take whey protein 45 minutes before gym and immediately after my workout and I take casein shake right before bed. Usually right after my workout I eat 2 cans of tuna in olive oil and 2-3 hardboiled eggs and a slice or two of whole grain bread (dave's killer bread). My problem I feel is my diet still because I wonder if I am getting enough protein or balance of fruits and veggies, I don't mind cooking but not when I've worked all day and then gone to gym. I need to get into habit of meal prep on one of my off-days.

Point is for the first time in my life I am happy with how I look, I have a long way to go and things I want to improve but now I know I can. My goal right now is doing as much as I can till October, I'm going back to my hometown to visit family and friends. Last they saw me was 3 years ago and I weighed 403 wearing 50x30 pants and nearly 5xlt shirts...that...was a low point for me. I'm looking forward to going back because I'm down to 42x30 and 3xlt, and by that time I plan to be in pretty damned good shape. I am going to turn that low point into a high point.

This sounds like a blog now, lol sorry. Just any advice or tips on diet and gym would be greatly appreciated.

Note that I've never actually ever used those before, and I'm picky so I wouldn't. Personally my linner meal every day is based around a protein so I don't seek additional protein any time throughout the day.

One of the snacks I like is cheese though.

Those protein packs are pretty good, I personally go for beef jerky, but make sure to buy the right kind and not one that's loaded with sugars. You'd be surprised how much sugar some of them have.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Droodid View Post
    Those protein packs are pretty good, I personally go for beef jerky, but make sure to buy the right kind and not one that's loaded with sugars. You'd be surprised how much sugar some of them have.
    I second the beef jerky example, and again always check the sugar content. I also keep a small container of pepper ham or something similar (sandwich meat) in the office fridge so I can grab a quick bite if I need one. Chicken is good for this too but it can be pretty dry if you eat it cold so I usually go with ham.

Also, greek yogurt for days.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Yeah I like the beef/elk jerky from ostrim, low sugar and fat

15+ Year Old Account
    Salami? :d

I don't eat protein snacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Jerky is great unfortunately it's so damn expensive. If you can stomach it, canned Tuna (or salmon if you can't stand tuna) is solid bang for the buck. Or buying chicken breast at a wholesale store if you have one.

I prefer a very high protein diet, which isn't necessary for muscle growth but kills my appetite better than moderate protein, high carb diets. The tradeoff is it's more expensive.

My favorite protein snack though is Oikos Triple Zero or Fage Greek Yogurt, mixed with some cottage cheese, with Walden Farms syrups, which are great tasting zero cal syrups if you don't know.

I love protein snacks.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually don't go for protein snacks but instead for shakes. I eat an apple or a banana in between.
    My breakfast is pretty much non existant during weekends as I wake up too late, but this is what it usually looks like monday-friday:

Before work (7:30am):
    Whey-80 Ice Coffee protein drink. High on caffeine and protein (this is Swedish, don't know if it's sold outside Sweden, but there are many alternatives).

Breakfast (9am):
    2 boiled eggs, 2 pieces of full grain hard bread (44 calories for both), 1 tomato and some sausage or meat.

2 hours later a banana or an apple, sometimes I eat chocolate ice cream called ProPud, it has no sugar, no lactose and has a lot of protein.

Lunch (1pm):
    Chicken breast with vegetables and rice

3 hours later another apple or banana

When I get home (6pm), I drink another Whey-80 protein drink

Dinner (9-10pm):
    Can of tuna (120-140g), 2 boiled eggs, 2 pieces of bread and a tomato
    or milk and some biscuit which is a terrible thing I do (this has 1000 calories and it's not even a lot of food, but I have a sweet tooth and I don't eat it often)
    or meat and potatoes and lettuce

My weight loss is non existant
    But I'm not big, I'm 174cm and 71-72kg. However I have noticed quite a bit of a muscle change. I have been working my chest and arms very hard. However I have 23% body fat so I should cut down on something. Probably that 1000 calorie milk + biscuit food lol.
    I also should sleep more often. I basically sleep 3-6 hours every night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beef jerky (usually buy @ costco) and cashews mostly.

Deleted
    Cottage cheese. Contains Casein protein which is a slow absorbing protein. Will keep a nice steady stream of protein and aminos going into your blood for hours. Also good before bed. Also Almonds. And I eat a lot of Bulgur.

I eat a small skyr meal with almonds twice a day, and sometimes I eat some skyr shortly before bedtime. No idea if they sell it where you are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyr

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I eat a small skyr meal with almonds twice a day, and sometimes I eat some skyr shortly before bedtime. No idea if they sell it where you are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyr
    Is Skyr slow or fast protein?

Høj fem for Danmark

A vast majority of people do not need any protein supplementation what so ever. This includes almost all gym users and is especially true if you are trying to lose weight. If you overdo your protein intake you might as well be eating candy bars. Basically everything you eat besides fruit contains protein and it just keeps trickling in. Write down everything you eat and drink on a normal day and calculate your protein intake. I would bet that you will be surprised.

The entire field of protein supplementation is so packed with pseudo science and outright lies that I am surprised they are not being shut down. They keep using the phrase "incomplete protein" for example and there is no such thing in the way they suggest it. Complete protein was a term coined in the 70s by a researcher who has spoken out against how it is used today and said that it was a very poor choice of words. It simply means all the types of protein your body needs, not that you have to have them all in one go and together like some protein puzzle. Some proteins in "complete protein" isn't even used for muscles I was told but I I was unable to verify this as some of the documentation was too technical for me.

Also, eating protein in excess does nothing what so ever for your metabolism. It just makes you fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Is Skyr slow or fast protein?

Høj fem for Danmark
    Slow, it's casein.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Slow, it's casein.
    Then I'll go with cottage cheese. Skyr is for hipster twats with no tastebuds. That shit is like cab driver feet

I agree, the taste is terrible, but that's really not why I eat it :P there's far less kcal in skyr compared to cottage cheese, (which I've honestly also gotten sick of )

I saw those protein packs in the store and thought of this thread. I looked at them and saw cold almonds,processed cheese and meat...I passed.

just go boil like 20 large eggs and eat them throughout the week as snacks

I don't go ham on protein. Your body doesn't actually need much and most of the Bros in the gym going hard with protein bars and shakes will just store the protein as fat. A bit of meat at lunch or dinner or nuts as a snack is the way to go