Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

"Fat but fit is a big fat myth"

Just posting this before Tennisface wakes up.

The idea that people can be fat but medically fit is a myth, say experts speaking in Portugal.
    The term "fat but fit" refers to the alluring theory that if people are obese but all their other metabolic factors such as blood pressure and blood sugar are within recommended limits then the extra weight will not be harmful.
    They found these people who were obese but "metabolically healthy" were at higher risk of developing heart disease, strokes and heart failure than people of normal weight.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39936138
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2017-05-17 at 02:12 PM. Reason: forgot source, duh

7+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what you mean by "fat". I've seen pictures of people considered "plus size" that, while not extremely skinny, were definitely not "fat" by any means. There are certain people and publications that will call someone fat if they don't look like a twig. If you mean obese, then yes, it's impossible to be healthy and obese.

Apparently this is considered "fat" nowadays:

Last edited by Stormspark; 2017-05-17 at 08:48 AM.

Deleted
    You can't have flab fat and be fit, you can have a corpulent form of fat stacked thick on muscle and be extremely fit. It's a good sign when it doesn't wobble around like Flubber on the important part, ie. everything underneath.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    In other shocking developments it also turns out that being dead is bad for you :O

Seriously how did anyone ever believe this this myth? We never had it in this country so it just seems so bizarre anyone would buy into it O.o

10+ Year Old Account
    The amount of fat threads is quite fat aswell.
    Instead of discussing about fat with people, I'd rather talk about philosophy with these

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    It's also heavily photoshoped. Depending on the amount of croping, she might be obese.

isn't obese a bit beyond fat?
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

I was surprised that this story was on the BBC news this morning, how did we get to the point where something that used to be so absolutely obvious needs a spot in prime time morning news section.

I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

fat people are gross, an eyesore, and their condition is a risk to themselves and affordability of socialized medical care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I was surprised that this story was on the BBC news this morning, how did we get to the point where something that used to be so absolutely obvious needs a spot in prime time morning news section.

There are more and more fat people. Once they reach a threshold suddenly the consensual truth will be that fat is fine and skinny is sick. In fact, you may already have heard claims to the latter effect.

Some people are just naturally larger than other people? I'm also an advocate of Health At Every Size (HAEZ) because it promotes a message of acceptance and self-love that I feel isn't conveyed as much as it should in a society that is image obsessed.

"Obese" and "Fat" are different. the classic "strongman" had quite a bit of fat but also more muscle, an "Obese" person typically just has lots of fat, their's a big different there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Some people are just naturally larger than other people? I'm also an advocate of Health At Every Size (HAEZ) because it promotes a message of acceptance and self-love that I feel isn't conveyed as much as it should in a society that is image obsessed.
    HAEZ movements only serve making the problem worse. No, you can't be healthy at every size, the very notion is ridiculous. If you're a fat fuck and it risks your health, and your eating habits are making your children fat fucks as well, you most certainly shouldn't "accept and love yourself". You should take some responsibility, change your habits and stop being fat

Deleted
    If you're able to do any work outs daily like a person at a normal weight can do, doesn't that mean you're fit? Is being fit directly related to your amount of bodily fat?

Deleted
    I don't know, I'm a pro wrestling fan and there are guys like Kevin Owens or Samoa Joe who look far from fit, yet they can work 30 minutes long match like it's nothing, and they can also easily pull out some impressive aerial moves.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDendR916k

10+ Year Old Account
    Obese guy:

Let's now find someone who will dare say this to his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of this: http://i.imgur.com/24ibazh.jpg lol.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "fat". I've seen pictures of people considered "plus size" that, while not extremely skinny, were definitely not "fat" by any means. There are certain people and publications that will call someone fat if they don't look like a twig. If you mean obese, then yes, it's impossible to be healthy and obese.

Ohh you're using all those definitions those hamplanets use at FatPeopleStories. Are you fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Surely you can't be serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    HAEZ movements only serve making the problem worse. No, you can't be healthy at every size, the very notion is ridiculous. If you're a fat fuck and it risks your health, and your eating habits are making your children fat fucks as well, you most certainly shouldn't "accept and love yourself". You should take some responsibility, change your habits and stop being fat
    I think you've completely misunderstood the point of 'fat-acceptance' and the healthy message that is being promoted by the HAEZ movement. HAEZ promotes the idea that you can be healthy at every size by adopting healthy behaviours, including physical exercise and dieting, but first and foremost HAEZ breeds a message of self-acceptance and respect. Respect is important regardless of size and body diversity should be accepted in society because people come in different shapes and sizes - there's no one size fits all. Thin obsession has results in body preoccupation, self-hatred, eating disorders and even ironically poor health... Few of us are at peace with our bodies, whether because we're fat or because we fear becoming fat. HAEZ shifts the focus in health management from weight loss to a weight-neutral approach in individuals thereby avoiding said issues and promoting a happier and healthier lifestyle.