Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    I wish you'd remove all the punctuation from your post and then pitch this to DC for their next comic villain.
    Very few people would buy it to read. It would sell truckloads as Trump buys them all to pull an ET the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Without venturing into outright criticism or praise I would just say that the truth of a thing, lacking any concrete information pushing it one way or the other, can typically be found closer to the middle of two extremes as opposed to lying at either end of a given spectrum. I apply this to most judgments in life and it hasn't led me wrong so far.

Occam's Razor (and its unofficial sibling Hanlon's Razor) can be used to further isolate functional truth from hyperbole and doublespeak.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Without venturing into outright criticism or praise I would just say that the truth of a thing, lacking any concrete information pushing it one way or the other, can typically be found closer to the middle of two extremes as opposed to lying at either end of a given spectrum. I apply this to most judgments in life and it hasn't led me wrong so far.

Occam's Razor (and its unofficial sibling Hanlon's Razor) can be used to further isolate functional truth from hyperbole and doublespeak.
    While that can be the truth most often, sometimes there is just one or the other.

An example of 3 random people, and in this example person A murdered someone:

Person A: "didn't do it"
    Person B: "you sure did"
    Person C: "no he didn't"

Hardly middle ground available, as out of those two extremes of "did" and "didn't", one is correct, the other false.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    While that can be the truth most often, sometimes there is just one or the other.

An example of 3 random people, and in this example person A murdered someone:

Person A: "didn't do it"
    Person B: "you sure did"
    Person C: "no he didn't"

Hardly middle ground available, as out of those two extremes of "did" and "didn't", one is correct, the other false.
    That's not really a spectrum of possibilities, it's more a binary true/false type relationship where one scenario is concretely the opposite of the other. There's no middle ground when you have only two points in otherwise disconnected space.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    I do so love being told that diagnosing someone is inappropriate after hearing how Clinton has Parkinsons for months.

Really though, whether it is Trump or Clinton you could comment on behavior and possible symptoms but should really leave the diagnosing to the professionals -- especially when it's something like dementia or Alzheimers.

Being an armchair psychologist and talking about his narcissism and ego isn't quite as bad, given that you don't need a formal diagnosis there. The fact his staffers had to keep putting his name in intelligence briefings to keep him reading says all it needs to.

Oh yes, I'm sorry, FAKE NEWS WHAT ABOUT HER EMAILS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I do so love being told that diagnosing someone is inappropriate after hearing how Clinton has Parkinsons for months.

Really though, whether it is Trump or Clinton you could comment on behavior and possible symptoms but should really leave the diagnosing to the professionals -- especially when it's something like dementia or Alzheimers.

Being an armchair psychologist and talking about his narcissism and ego isn't quite as bad, given that you don't need a formal diagnosis there. The fact his staffers had to keep putting his name in intelligence briefings to keep him reading says all it needs to.

Oh yes, I'm sorry, FAKE NEWS WHAT ABOUT HER EMAILS.
    Star wars episode 8: Benghazi strikes back.

Only appropriate since they copied 4 already..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    I don't think he's got Alzheimer's. There's an underlying logic to everything he does, even the most outrageous and seemingly-counterintuitive. Donald Trump is beholden to one individual: the ego of Donald Trump. Everything he says, and does, is motivated entirely by his ego; he's a classic example of what happens when someone with narcissistic personality disorder is coddled his entire life and spends his adult life getting away scott-free with conning his way into billions by bullying, misleading, and outright lying to contractors and investors while writing golden parachutes into the fine print so he still makes it out ahead.

Coupled with his obsession over White House and government agency leaks, reports from within the White House that he spends hours a day watching conservative news programs and yells at the TV while doing so, and recent reports suggesting his aides carefully monitor what reports make it to his desk, he's exhibiting many signs of a narcissist having a meltdown the first time he's confronted with the word, 'No.' This administration is going to make for a fascinating case study in twenty years about the necessity of rigorous mental health screening when public officials prepare to take office, whatever else comes out of the Trump administration for good or ill.
    This is a good assessment.
    If you want to understand Trump's behaviors, go read from the people who have worked with him closely over the years.

Coincidentally, Vox has a good writeup from the former President and COO of Trump Plaza Hotel today about how Trump is now just as he was then.
    Similar accounts today in WaPo from the ghostwriter of "Art of the Deal".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Ha! Hadn't considered that bit of hypocrisy.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

I'm not really sure questioning someone else being a narcissist is appropriate here.

You made a thread all for yourself that could have been dumped into the million other Donald Dump threads we have.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I always thought this:

1.) Trump is a smart manipulator, who abused and amplified the bad feelings of the masses to come to power.
    2.) Trump is a nationalist who wants to implement Bannons ideas about an autocratic state
    3.) Trimp abuses false informations as "alternative truths" to create cognitive dissonance, to hide the lies that matter behind obvious lies

But the current incidents seem to show another image of him:

1.) Trump just is a narcisst who knows only himself, without real political goals, who even becomes a traitor just to boast about his knowledge to russian politicians (and others)
    2.) Trump is just caring for the money he is getting from using his properties for his job
    3.) Trump cares more about his family than about what is his political agenda (as like making a deal with china to allow his daughter to sell shinies).

So where am i wrong? Is Trump really just a narcistic idiot at the end, or is he planning a political desaster as in the first 3 points?
    Both of your opinions seem to be in error, but that is likely due to confirmation bias. The majority of what you list as your impressions are basically the talking points of the corporate media.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

It's some of everything.

I mean honestly, anybody who doesn't know Trump is a narcissist hasn't been paying attention. And I mean that literally; if he let a psychologist talk to him I bet he would be officially diagnosed. (Some psychologists/psychiatrists in fact did make that statement during the election, though it was without having spoken to him directly. That's on the unethical side, but "unethical" doesn't mean "wrong.")

1.) Trump is a smart manipulator, who abused and amplified the bad feelings of the masses to come to power.
    Absolutely. I'd call it a "great bullshitter" rather than "smart manipulator" but it works out pretty much the same.

He also seems to think he's a master negotiator, whether it is true or not. I think that's what the whole pull Comey aside and see if you can convince him that Flynn's not worth investigating thing was. He thought he could make the whole thing go away by the sheer power of his will.

2.) Trump is a nationalist who wants to implement Bannons ideas about an autocratic state
    Again, definitely to at least some degree. His shock that a court could stop his immigration ban just because they decided it was probably unconstitutional proves his autocratic tendencies -- probably a result of working as the Big Boss Man in his companies for so long. And there's certainly a lot of nationalism in his policies.

3.) Trimp abuses false informations as "alternative truths" to create cognitive dissonance, to hide the lies that matter behind obvious lies
    Kind of. I think it's simpler though: Anything that's bad for him is fake news, anything he says is truth. I'm not convinced there's some greater manipulation to shake the very foundation of truth in order to get his whopper lies through, though that does seem to be a consequence.

1.) Trump just is a narcisst who knows only himself, without real political goals, who even becomes a traitor just to boast about his knowledge to russian politicians (and others)
    Again, definitely a clinical narcissist. I'd say he has a couple of political goals, and the vast majority of shit he really doesn't care about and lets the people around him largely have their way with. See health care for example, where his campaign rhetoric was quiet different than the reality of the bill that passed the House; I think Paul Ryan wanted to take the lead and Trump just shrugged and let him.

I think he wanted to get elected to fluff his ego, not because he wanted to do the job of being president. See also his statements about being surprised how hard things are and how happy he was with his old life.

2.) Trump is just caring for the money he is getting from using his properties for his job
    Just? No. But again, if anybody thought he wasn't going to find a way, directly or indirectly, to make a buck from this whole presidency thing, they weren't paying attention.

3.) Trump cares more about his family than about what is his political agenda (as like making a deal with china to allow his daughter to sell shinies).
    Probably. That's a powerful urge, which is why we have ethics rules. Unfortunately he and his family have shit on them basically since inauguration and they're toothless enough that nothing is likely to come of it.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Good; Someone who is after results, no matter what people say.

Not someone who'll bend backwards at whatever the hip public opinion is just to keep having access to their portion of the pot.
    So a dictator then?

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    So a dictator then?
    Yes, exaggeration is always the best course of action when it comes to discussing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, exaggeration is always the best course of action when it comes to discussing!
    Who is exaggerating?

Nothing that has happened since the election has changed my opinion of Trump, or is surprising in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yes, his public appearances over the course of the last year combined with his inability to remember statements he made 2 hours ago.
    He has done that all his life. Feign ignorance and keep on talking is his go to move. Lie, deny, alibi his mantra as he fucks people over.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are late.

"They go low, we go high."

Such a great motto. And then Trump won and that was thrown away.
    I think people misread as 'they go low, we get high'... then forget to vote... Simpsons did it...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    He is an idiot, yes. He thinks everything is easy until he see's it and he thinks about defending his interests first and foremost, rather than the interst of the american people. He is reckless and dangerous because he is an idiot.

I am beyond disbelief on why he isn't impeached yet. The republican party is the one that is gonna pay for getting this inept candidate up for votes. The lies and scams of the republican's exposed. They have 2 choices now. Either they stab him in the back or go down with him.

But seriously, the state of the current white house isn't even funny anymore. Trump's team is untrustworthy and is constantly lieing to the american people and intelligence secrets are beeing spilled so no one trusts america anymore. Who knows what consequences that leak will have? To make this worse, it is very likely that his campaign colluded with the russians and that he colluded by asking the director of the FBI to drop the investigation and fireing him when he didnt.
    The president and the white house have no credibility and are a danger to america and it's allies.

Any other western country and this crook would be deposed or behind bars. How ironic that the things he accused Hillary of are the things he himself was gonna do. This is why you don't believe in cheap talk americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Both of your opinions seem to be in error, but that is likely due to confirmation bias. The majority of what you list as your impressions are basically the talking points of the corporate media.
    Which is pretty funny, because yours is a talking point of Trump.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Good; Someone who is after results, no matter what people say.

Not someone who'll bend backwards at whatever the hip public opinion is just to keep having access to their portion of the pot.
    You mean he takes the pot for himself? He is cutting his taxes in millions. Giving himself alot of potting.

Really... i think it's past time to start realising you've been duped.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    You mean he takes the pot for himself? He is cutting his taxes in millions. Giving himself alot of potting.
    Yup, that's the outcome that turned out, yes. Politician 101.