Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    What metric are we using to determine obesity?
    "Can you see your dick?"
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only way a fat person can be fit is if they get fit by losing fat
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    fat people are gross, an eyesore, and their condition is a risk to themselves and affordability of socialized medical care.
    O no, your poor little eyes. This post was an eyesore and this level of egomaniacal condescension is a risk to oneself and to society in general.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2017-05-19 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    O no, your poor little eyes. This post was an eyesore and this level of egomaniacal condescension is a risk to oneself and to society in general.
    No need to be defensive, this is just the MMO-Champion general off-topic forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    (sigh) in what way? It's from the 1800's, and even then was not intended to be a measurement of health but to form a bell curve from the census data in (if I remember right) Belgium. That's it. For some reason, it has in recent years been resurrected as a means of telling everyone they're obese. Seems silly to me when there are actual measurements one could use instead.
    It shows up on my medical records and I know my health insurance tracks it. My kids all have their BMI calculated as well, and it ends up on their development charts. I think they use it as a guideline as to whether or not they should consider weight as an exacerbating factor in diagnosis which leads to too few concerns over excess fat. Wherever it came from, it's still used quite a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're big enough to be considered "obese" then I doubt any number of positive health stats is really enough to indicate fitness. You can be chubby and fit though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    It shows up on my medical records and I know my health insurance tracks it. My kids all have their BMI calculated as well, and it ends up on their development charts. I think they use it as a guideline as to whether or not they should consider weight as an exacerbating factor in diagnosis which leads to too few concerns over excess fat. Wherever it came from, it's still used quite a bit.
    And it shouldn't be used, at all. Even if you for some reason believe that it's a measurement of health, people are taller on average than they were in the 1800's. There is absolutely no scientific basis to using BMI as part of health coverage. May as well bring in blood letting and balancing the humors, at least that nonsense was supposed to be medical at the time.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

All depends on what you consider "fat" and what you consider "fit".
    You can be like Fedor over here, some fat over the muscle carcass (you can have more fat than he does, just an example):

And then yep, you're pretty fit, while in no way skinny or fatless.

Or you can be more like this guy:

And then there is no way you are fit, unless it means that you can fit in a freaking truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    And it shouldn't be used, at all. Even if you for some reason believe that it's a measurement of health, people are taller on average than they were in the 1800's. There is absolutely no scientific basis to using BMI as part of health coverage. May as well bring in blood letting and balancing the humors, at least that nonsense was supposed to be medical at the time.
    That makes sense to me, but I have to defer to doctors on this one. If they feel it helps them enough to track it, then I'm not really in a position to argue against it. Still though, they stopped bringing up my weight when I got under 20% body fat, so they could just as well stick with that measure. Keeping BMI is probably just a time saver.

10+ Year Old Account
    That makes sense to me, but I have to defer to doctors on this one. If they feel it helps them enough to track it, then I'm not really in a position to argue against it. Still though, they stopped bringing up my weight when I got under 20% body fat, so they could just as well stick with that measure. Keeping BMI is probably just a time saver.
    Just remember, according to BMI, if you cut off a limb you're healthier since you weight less. But dont cut off both legs, because then you'll be shorter and thus less healthy.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I'm willing to bet that this guy

and this guy

are healthier than a large amount of posters on this forum.

Wheres the who would you date thread? @Celista has my vote

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    Calling him obese is pants on head retarded, yes if you look at pure numbers he's "overweight" because he has considerably more muscle-mass than an average person his height. Doesn't make him obese
    BUT by his BMI he is thats the point the post was making... goes to show how inaccurate these things are to judge if people are normal, fat or obese etc etc ......

Hell half of England's rugby union team would be classed as morbidly obese by their BMI .....
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    I'm willing to bet that this guy
    https://whatstheaction.files.wordpre..._overalls1.jpg

and this guy

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...ar4tan6jpg.jpg

are healthier than a large amount of posters on this forum.
    Well, you're setting a pretty low bar for health by using this forum's posters as the baseline.
    In any case, the second dude - sorry, I'm a yuropoor, I have no clue who your handegg stars are - is likely not very healthy, given the track record the NFL has with injuries. And the first guy, who I just googled used to be another handegg player, is probably already fucked in the joints from his profession, and being that fat is doing him no favors healthwise. But, there's another thing you should not forget - both of them have had healthcare professionals looking after their sorry asses every day of their professional lives as part of their job, which is hardly the case for most lardasses on mobility scooters.

Quote Originally Posted by pfbe View Post
    Well, you're setting a pretty low bar for health by using this forum's posters as the baseline.
    In any case, the second dude - sorry, I'm a yuropoor, I have no clue who your handegg stars are - is likely not very healthy, given the track record the NFL has with injuries. And the first guy, who I just googled used to be another handegg player, is probably already fucked in the joints from his profession, and being that fat is doing him no favors healthwise. But, there's another thing you should not forget - both of them have had healthcare professionals looking after their sorry asses every day of their professional lives as part of their job, which is hardly the case for most lardasses on mobility scooters.
    Yep, they're going to have health problems related to playing a physical contact sport. Yes, their diets and physical health was closely monitored by professionals. Yet if you had a picture of them in street closes people would call the second guy fat and the first guy morbidly obese, yet they're still far more active than the majority of US citizens and in overall better health (ie cardiovascular, respiratory, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Countless threads with born-again rationalists (aka, the dumbest people alive) opining on everything from abortion to criminal justice with zero qualifications, empathy, or general sense.

Anywho, for anyone on the fence: BMI is bullshit, and body size and shape are not indicators of fitness. Facts. Don't believe it? Kindly shut up.
    You're being pretty crass for someone presenting an opinion that runs counter to that used by medical professionals while also mocking people for expressing opinions without qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Funny that: it's from medical professionals that I learned that BMI is bullshit and that body shape is not an indicator of fitness.

Who do I believe: idiots on an MMO forum, or people who know what they're talking about?

You can kindly shut up now.
    No need to be crude. I have no experience with whichever crystal wizard or herbal healer told you those things are no longer used by doctors. All I know is that both of those things are tracked fairly regularly by medical professionals despite having a poor reputation online and in pop science. What makes your complaint even more silly is the improved method suggested for determining fitness related disease likelihood used by many doctors is measuring waist circumference which is certainly a measure of body shape.

I'm sorry but I can't see shutting up on this as a kindness to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-05-20 at 09:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA!!

... I shouldn't laugh, but that's just beyond moronic! Who approved such a title??
    I think that was done by a satirical british newspaper called private eye to mock other papers obsession with princess diana.

You're being pretty crass for someone presenting an opinion that runs counter to that used by medical professionals while also mocking people for expressing opinions without qualifications.
    he is not wrong about BMI being bs stat - in case of people with decent muscles mass it simply doesnt work

he is wrong though about body shape and size not indicating anything - if you have high percentage of body fat this means you are unhealthy regardless of how much you can work out in gym / sport - certain amount of body fat is needed for body to function normaly and protect muscles from injuries when working out extensively - but above certain level it is unhealthy because it influcences your internal organs i.e liver.