Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhackin View Post
    Let the whines from entitled millennials begin...
    Born 1987-1991.

Most people here (in this thread) are professing stories from when they were in High School, and how much better the game used to be. Which would make those who agree... millennials.

I agree. I prefer LFR not having raid-quality loot appearances. I'd prefer WQs to not reward raid-quality or high-end PvP quality appearances. Sure, there are Mythic looks and Elite looks, but they're barely different. I miss those things really being special.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Unfortunately those times are long gone and will never come back because of transmog. GODAMIT i hate transmog! Those times were the best.

I don't know if you realize but nowadays there is NO form of prestige of any kind. Everyone looks cool with transmog and everyone is able to see all raids.
    The only form of prestige nowadays is item level and damage meters. Simple stupid numbers that no one cares about. This gives no one incentive.

Guys like me who believe unique prestige rewards are VERY important for a game are shamed and called "snowflakes".
    But the truth is if there is nothing in the game to look up to and aspire to obtain there is no motivation to play the game outside of you confort zone of doing nothing. Basically there is no meaning or reason to play the game.

I think we are suffering in WoW the same thing that happened on the movie "The Matrix".
    The first matix was designed to be an Utopia where everyone was happy...and it failed because humans as a species define their reality through misery and suffering. We need something to look up to.

Right now we are in the Utopian Matrix where everyone is special...and i hate it
    To the people that matter, and that are truly impressed by how good you are, or aren't. This SHOULD be the only thing people care about.

So you have flashy gear... who the fuck cares. What can you do with it. Or did you just pay your way through decent content?

This is what you Troglodytes aren't getting. If anyone is/was ever impressed... it has nothing to do with what your avatar looks like.

In fact as someone who can no longer participate in Mythic Raiding, I envy and admire the ability to sit in front of a computer and play and accomplish something with like minded individuals. This thread though... shows me that envy and admiration is grossly misplaced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JJShadoe View Post
    I agree. I prefer LFR not having raid-quality loot appearances. I'd prefer WQs to not reward raid-quality or high-end PvP quality appearances. Sure, there are Mythic looks and Elite looks, but they're barely different. I miss those things really being special.
    It's too late for that.

With Transmog everyone looks cool. There are dozens of old tier sets, dungeon sets, reputation sets, PvP sets, that look awesome.
    The old wow experience is dead on that department.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JJShadoe View Post
    WoD did that and was a disaster. Or has that not been committed to long term memory yet?

In fact as pointed out earlier, is a prime example that refutes the concept that players will simply "rise to the occasion".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    This is what you Troglodytes aren't getting. If anyone is/was ever impressed... it has nothing to do with what your avatar looks like.

In fact as someone who can no longer participate in Mythic Raiding, I envy and admire the ability to sit in front of a computer and play and accomplish something with like minded individuals. This thread though... shows me that envy and admiration is grossly misplaced.
    Envy and admiration is the pillar of mankind. Humans are all about that, we can't change our nature!

It was not only the fact we looked cool, it was also the fact that "you looked cool because you were able to farm "X" boss" that probably the other person couldn't do yet.

The feeling of acomplishment is impossible to get if everyone is equal.
    If we live in a Utopia then no one feels acomplished. Hell even in an Utopia there is stuff like "getting a girlfriend", "being pretty", "be married", "be fat or muscular", "talent for art", "talent for sports" to look up to.

Humans are made this way, we need something to look up to, to try and become better than others. Otherwise you will sit you fat ass at home all day doing nothing, getting high on weed, drinking beer and eating doritos .
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-05-23 at 02:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Envy and admiration is the pillar of mankind. Humans are all about that, we can't change our nature!

It was not only the fact we looked cool, it was also the fact that "you looked cool because you were able to farm "X" boss" that probably the other person couldn't do yet.

The feeling of acomplishment is impossible to get if everyone is equal.
    If we live in a Utopia then no one feels acomplished. Hell even in an Utopia there is stuff like "getting a girlfreind", "being pretty", "be married", "be fat or muscular", "talent for art", "talent for sports" to look up to.

Humans are made this way, we need something to look up to, to try and become better than others. Otherwise you will sit you fat ass at home all day doing nothing.
    Nope farthest thing from the truth.

Because as a fellow raider, who simply can't anymore. I know how easy is to be carried. Most guilds have that one person you know you could replace (and pray it isn't a healer or tank) and the raid would be better off for it. But that person is a friend/family to guild leader or officer.

Collection of pretty gear is fairly easy. Performing with said gear is another story.

Its really the same reason no one is/was really impressed if you had Thunderfury or any other relevant legendary. Because IF you were raiding you know that "achievement" was really not the work of the individual, but a gift and an effort from 24-39 other people. Congrats xxxx guild on your lucky drop, you were so gracious to give it to xxxx. The same could be said for every other stitch of gear you have ever received.

There is more individual effort and work that goes into crafting an item these days, than what goes into raiding. We should be holding our alchemists on your shoulders, and ignore the folks that like to flash their epics and pose for pictures. Look what I have done as if 20+ other people didn't just help you get there.

But no seriously... it was all you. "Say cheese!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Nope farthest thing from the truth.
    (...)
    Ofcourse your acomplishments are acquired with the help of others in WoW but it doesn't change the fact that people thrive on admiration and the feeling of being better than others.

It's not any different now. Only now is just "item level", "damage meters" and "ability to kill X boss on Mythic difficulty". Stuff that almost no one cares about. Like...5% of the whole population of WoW cares about killing a boss on Mythic Difficulty.
    No one has motivation to do anything nowadays because everyone is equal.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-05-23 at 12:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Could we please stop listening to what he has to say? Why should his opinion be more important than that of any other ex-Blizzard employee? He likes something. Ok. Different people like different things. So sick of seeing his stuff on the frontpage, as if it has any relevance.
    Start by ignoring it yourself. GC saying something shouldn't trigger you into a response. Ignore it. Everything's good.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if you realize but nowadays there is NO form of prestige of any kind. Everyone looks cool with transmog and everyone is able to see all raids.

The only form of prestige nowadays is item level and damage meters. Simple stupid numbers that no one cares about. This gives no one incentive.
    This presumes that everyone wants the best gear due to how it looks. I've disliked the look of higher level gear for some years now and I'm not alone in that. The amount of incentive inherent in that is at best subjective.

Also: If no one cares about numbers a lot of people seem to be highly motivated to get to the best they can. Perhaps that doesn't qualify as an incentive but many would disagree.

The popularity of transmogrification speaks for itself. I would also question just how many people play the game primarily for ego gratification. I'm sure there are some but it's not the reason I play games. Honestly, I could not care less what strangers in a virtual world think.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The popularity of transmogrification speaks for itself. I would also question just how many people play the game primarily for ego gratification. I'm sure there are some but it's not the reason I play games. Honestly, I could not care less what strangers in a virtual world think.
    But you need to care about something. Anything.
    If people woldn't care they wouldn't transmog but almost everyone does.

I agree "ego gratification" isn't the main reason to why you begin playing a game BUT i think it's the main reason to why "continuing playing the game" after the point where you have done everything and you have nothing else to do.

For example, in League of Legends i have thousands of hours played and at this point all i care about is ego gratification of being good and better than other people.
    I think in the beginning of playing a game is all about "fun", "experimenting", "exploring" and after all that is gone...you look forward for "ego gratification".

And if there is no "ego rewards" there is no reason to continue playing the game after the point of "exploring" is done. Quitting is the only option left.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-05-23 at 02:03 AM.

Ghostcrawler is the Godfather of Moochamp, everyone here idolizes him and savors his occasional pearl of wisdom!

Deleted
    The true question is "is item level and damage meters incentive enough to keep playing after the point of exploring the game?"
    My personal opinion is "No" for most people but we don't have any proof.
    Killing a boss in Mythic difficulty is clearly not enough incentive because only about 5% of people even attempt to do that. On this one we have statistics and proof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch78 View Post
    Strongly disagree. I worked my butt off to clear ICC and get the Kingslayer title back during WotLK. Do I care if other players faceroll it with their lvl 110 toons and get the same title? Not at all. Its special to me and thats what counts. Removing content (i.e mounts, titles, bosses, dungeons, raids, weapons, gear, pets) is retarded and I'm so glad Ghostcrawler is no longer with Blizzard. People like to shit on Celestion and Ion but I'd rather live with them at the helm then Greg Street or Jeff Kaplan and his bullshit hybrid tax.
    Strongly agree with you on this as its the exact way I've felt about the game when I stopped caring about loot (I used to be an asshole with it, especially when it went to "undeserving" people) in Ulduar and focused more on improving myself and trying to get the raids cleared before the next tier. I still hope all of the Legion skins will still be there to obtain and transmog after the next expansion goes live and I say that with almost (almost have the first pvp weapon on my 5 alts, skipping BoP on three alts cause their weapon looks like shit) having all of them.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Do you agree with Ghostcrawler?
    Why the hell do you even care what he has to say? If I recall correctly you were dancing in the street when he left because of the masterpiece MoP was.

Stay tuned for Jaylock's next thread:

"Ghostcrawler - Mayonnaise superior to Miracle Whip and Why You're a Fucking Idiot for Disagreeing with Me."

10+ Year Old Account
    But you need to care about something. Anything.
    If people woldn't care they wouldn't transmog but almost everyone does.
    I didn't say that I didn't care about anything. I said I don't care about people admiring me as I pose on top of a mailbox in front of an auction house. Well, I didn't say that specifically but that was the real point.

I care about having fun, playing with friends, accomplishing stuff, exploring the world (sadly now a minor piece of the game), and that little sense of "Yeah, I did that" when I get an upgrade (which I think are far too easy to get but that's related to Blizzard's insistence on having everyone ready-to-raid whether they have any intention of doing that or not).

So I care about lots of things. I don't care at all about having people worship me or what I'm wearing (or my titles, none of which I use). I don't get any satisfaction from thinking "Hey, you suck and I'm better than you." Maybe I'm unusual but I tend to think that's only unusual for many of the people who post on forums. There are lots of players who log in, play the game and take some enjoyment from healing up a group, leading a group as a tank or executing their spec very well in a big fight against a dangerous boss. It's about contributing.

None of that has anything at all to do with "Hey, look at me. I'm awesome!" which I find as annoying in game as I do in real life.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-05-23 at 06:19 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

why do people think they've gotta make a new thread every time ghostcrawler says something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuba View Post
    I used to hate ghostcrawler. Then I met these guys Holinka and Celestalon and I really wanted ghostcrawler back.
    What are you talking about Holinka is the best pvp developer this game has ever seen. EVER
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Good. I fail to see why the game should be designed to placate the egos of such a small group of players.
    So you fail to understand how human behaviour works.