Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Controversial workout class promises to give women thigh gaps

Trainer Stephen Pasterino first called his signature class “Thigh Gap Thursday” as a joke.

The founder of Bowery fitness studio Bodies by P had been trying to figure out how to best market his leg- and butt-focused workout, which he claims can give his clients a gap between their legs when they stand with their feet touching — a controversial social-media trend and a near requirement for the scores of models whom Pasterino trains.

“It’s now my busiest class,” he says. “Every Thursday is packed.”

Word of the class soon spread beyond his downtown, in-the-know client base, he says. “We put it on social media, and now we have girls around the world who message us and say, ‘I just want a thigh gap, how can I get one?’ ”

The thigh gap became a point of obsession around 2013, the year that a book called “The Thigh Gap Hack” was published. Instagram was just blowing up at the time, and the term took off, with scores of women and teen girls tagging their pictures with #thighgap. Model Cara Delevingne’s thigh gap even had its own Twitter account.

The thigh gap soon became synonymous with body dysmorphic disorder. Instagram disabled the #thighgap hashtag in March 2014, and more body-positive messages have since become in vogue on the site, such as #effyourbeautystandards and #everybodyisbeautiful.

“None of these girls are happy with what they’ve got,” says Pasterino. “But I can see where their bodies can go.”

Given that most attendees are model-like in physique, the messaging behind “Thigh Gap Thursdays” is in stark contrast to the “strong, not skinny” ethos promoted by workouts such as high-intensity interval training and CrossFit.

“When you’re pursuing something unattainable, it’s just going to lead to low self-esteem and beating yourself up,” says Kimberly Hershenson, a Midtown-based therapist who specializes in eating disorders. “Working out should be about wanting to be healthy. If your goal is to be fit, toned, muscular, a thigh gap is not going to help you reach that goal.”

Hershenson warns that a class solely focused on the creation of a thigh gap can lead to perfectionism and, in turn, eating disorders. “Where’s it going to end?” she asks. “When you have the biggest thigh gap in the class?”

Pasterino, 30, says he’s gotten some flak for his social-media posts, which usually include the hashtags #thighgap and #thighgapthursday, along with, bizarrely, #lovemyself and #allbodytypes.

“We get negative stuff like, ‘Oh, that’s bulls - - t. Body image and stuff,’ ” he says of the Instagram comments and direct messages he’s received.

Despite the blowback, Pasterino insists he’s simply giving his clients what they want.

“I’m so focused on butt and thighs because that’s what everybody wants. I ask the girls what they want to do before every class, and they all say, ‘I want to tone my inner thighs, I want my butt lifted.’ ”

Julia Kudryashova, a 24-year-old former college swimmer who works in insurance, is one such client.

“I’ve felt so much taller and longer and leaner, and I’m seeing so much definition,” says Kudryashova, noting the idea of a thigh-gap workout was “definitely” appealing. “That’s every girl’s draw — you have to have a thigh gap!”

Pasterino hit upon his method while studying physical therapy. He realized that small, stretch-like movements could target leg muscles that other workouts leave untouched, and that opening up the hips was the key to firing up butt muscles that would otherwise be frozen in place.
    http://nypost.com/2017/05/22/controv...en-thigh-gaps/

If there is a demand for it, and individuals want to put in the hard work and dedication to achieve a thigh gap, then really, what's the issue?

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I didn't know that they had specific workouts for it. I always assume it was a genetic + being fit sort of thing.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

You can find people complaining about everything. Doesn't mean they are all valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

7+ Year Old Account
    LOL you post a lot silly things Tenni, but the subject of that article is at the top (or close to the top) of list for ridiculous news items.

[sarcasm]
    We need to stop health centers from advertising because it promotes a potentially impossible to achieve body image. We must protect people from that!
    [/sarcasm]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    da fuq?
    10char
    What? It's about perception. If you have narrow, firm, toned legs then you look taller than someone with huge,wide, flabby legs.

Meh, thigh gaps can be achieved without starving the body and looking like a skeleton so I see no harm if people want to go to classes to tone up a bit more to get one

7+ Year Old Account
    I've known, dated, had sex with, women who did not have thigh gaps but were in INCREDIBLY good shape.

Conversely, I've known, dated, had sex with, women who did have thigh gaps but never worked out and ate what ever the hell they wanted.

Seems like a gimmick but I'm not going to complain if more women want to look like Cara Delevingne.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What? It's about perception. If you have narrow, firm, toned legs then you look taller than someone with huge,wide, flabby legs.
    Actually I think what makes people look taller than others is how tall they are.

Deleted
    surely there must be some kind of pants that achieve the same effect without all the work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    surely there must be some kind of pants that achieve the same effect without all the work.
    Girdles for the thighs! Brilliant!

"Every class is packed" - end thread.

Do most men really prefer women to have "thigh gaps"? I don't personally. I like women with big round thighs, hips and buts.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I am starting to wonder if I am like one of the few guys that don't find thigh gaps attractive?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I am starting to wonder if I am like one of the few guys that don't find thigh gaps attractive?
    Women don't dress up or act a certain way to impress guys, they do it to shit on other women.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    No reasonable guy give a crap about thigh gaps. Most prefer a little meat on the bones. IMO.
    Emphasis on "a little"

I never understood the thigh gap craze. The last time I had a thigh gap I was extremely underweight and barely ate any food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like exercises that claim to specifically target your abdomen so you can lose your belly faster this is just silly. The best and only way is to watch your diet, steer clear of sugary stuff, some form of cardio, and a full body weight-lifting regiment that will all combine to increase your metabolism and hence make you reduce fat all over.

But hey if these ladies want a placebo effect to empower themselves more power to them.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Sorry, that's bullshit. It's impossible to spot-reduce, outside of plastic surgery.
    what is spot reduce?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://nypost.com/2017/05/22/controv...en-thigh-gaps/

If there is a demand for it, and individuals want to put in the hard work and dedication to achieve a thigh gap, then really, what's the issue?
    Yo I'm selling this rock that protects you from tigers. Don't believe me? I'll get you a free sample and you tell me if you find any tigers, ok?

Yeah why wouldnt you want to possibly disfigure yourself permanently by damaging your bones and spine? I mean come on, that sounds delightful! Assuming you could do it. Which you can't. You're grown up. Your bones aren't gonna reshape unless you fucking break them.