Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

1080ti upgrade disappointing

My system is a 4770k@4.4, 16gb ram, 980ti, 4k 60hz monitor. I recently bought a 1080ti and did a clean install. In WoW I can now put environmental detail up one more notch. That's it. That's the $700 upgrade. Uh wat?

On a CPU bound game your upgrade was worth around 2% maximum. 1080ti was made for high resolutions on NEW games, for WoW it's completely useless.

You know 1080, 1080ti and 1070 use the same chip, right?

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    The chipset doesn't make the only difference in a graphics card.

WoW is a CPU-intensive game, not a GPU-intensive game.

no they aren't
    GP102: This GPU is used in the TITAN Xp, Titan X and the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    GP104: This GPU is used in the GeForce GTX 1070 and the GTX 1080

Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    My system is a 4770k@4.4, 16gb ram, 980ti, 4k 60hz monitor. I recently bought a 1080ti and did a clean install. In WoW I can now put environmental detail up one more notch. That's it. That's the $700 upgrade. Uh wat?
    What exactly were you expecting?

I have an EVGA 1080 SC and it runs everything in WoW on maximum settings at 1080p with 90 FPS. The card is complete overkill for WoW and if you're having FPS issues you're getting bottlenecked elsewhere, likely the CPU.

I figured that at 4k the gpu was the limiting factor even considering that WoW is cpu intensive.

ALL MMOs are CPU bound, have been since forever:P but at least most modern MMO's now use more than 1 core, I remember Everquest hitting 99% usage on 1 core when I tried the progression server last year :P

For 1080p, you can pretty much max the game out with a 750ti. For 4k, it's probably doable with a 1060. A 980ti was already sitting there idle half the time to run WoW even at 4k. The bottleneck in WoW was not your GPU, it's a combination of your CPU and the old engine. Nothing you can do about it. If you have a any semi-modern CPU and a decent GPU, then the game is not going to get any better by throwing more money at it. Other games will see improvements, but not WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

I figured that at 4k the gpu was the limiting factor even considering that WoW is cpu intensive.
    Nope, even at 4k, a 980ti is already way overkill.

Technically CPU is not the bottleneck in WoW either, it the 12+ year old engine. Obviously a faster CPU is better, but there is a plateau effect and no matter how fast your CPU is it is not enough to overcome the limitations of the engine.

We need dx12 with its draw call enhancements to see any real gains in WoW.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    ALL MMOs are CPU bound, have been since forever:P but at least most modern MMO's now use more than 1 core, I remember Everquest hitting 99% usage on 1 core when I tried the progression server last year :P
    You'd be surprised how much extra GPU power Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn/Heavensward will benefit from, though...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Foodchain View Post

I have an EVGA 1080 SC and it runs everything in WoW on maximum settings at 1080p with 90 FPS.
    Looking at ground at unpopulated area eh? If you claim that FPS in any real gameplay situation I'll call you a bullshitter.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

How does wow look at 4k?

At least you will be able to use it for Destiny 2.

Destiny 2 will be easy to run, its a console port. A gtx 760 is faster than what consoles have in them.

Same architecture, different chip die, therefor different chip 1080 isnt a cut 1080 Ti like 1070 is a cut 1080, , its like saying an i3 and an i7 are the same chip.

To the OP, as people already answered, CPU bound game.

1080 Ti is bought when you want to play Ultra at newer games at 1440p and ~60ish FPS at 4K or for "future proofing"

> bought a 1080Ti for freaking WoW

sorry m8 you deserved that

better ditch WoW and start playing some modern games now

Looks like I'm just an idiot. Dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Destiny 2 will be easy to run, its a console port. A gtx 760 is faster than what consoles have in them.
    It's not a console port, it's a game developed for both PC and consoles. Those games are actually ones with the highest max settings requirements. Watch Dogs 2 says hi.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B