Thread: Demo awful?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    It might depend on the level he's playing at. Because of it's horrible rampup times, demo will really suffer if by dungeons he means normal, heroic or the lower M+ keystones, because the "pump and dump" classes can put out so much initial burst then everything will just die before demo can hit the ground and get running.

The devs themselves acknowledged this, in that demo is like an old rogue spec, that by the time you've built your resources and gotten everything running, whatever you're trying to do is already over. People think of affliction as the ramp spec, but demo is even worse, the demons are nothin gmore than animated dots, except they have long cast times and you have to buff them with a relatively slow spell on top.

It's probably the same in PVP, demo has to build up it;s dps whereas there are plenty of classes with insanely high initial burst

I get the same problem with affliction - but only in the daily heroic (which I dont; both with now I;ve got enough AP). By the time you've got your dots out and running everything, including the bosses, will be dead if you got a decent geared [insert any burst damage class here] in the group.

Affliction has been pretty horrible for normal/heroic dungeons pretty much since launch, except for AOE spamming. Not even that now really, since SOC has ridiculously long cast-times and they've buffed a lot of other class AOE. It's fine in raids and higher + keys though.

As for the playstyle, I thought demonology was going to be cool. It wasn;t though, it just ended up as something that summons up some imps and a couple of dogs (some "master summoner" then, for heaven's sake, at least give it a fel-lord!) over and over. And then has to buff those demons with Demonic Empowerment. Over and over.

For me it just comes across as toxic to play, it felt slow, clumsy and repetative. and very, very immobile.
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-05-26 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Who needs mobility when you do over 1m hps as aff drain soul ticks doing just shy of 2m on crits and just around 600k on non crits is silly on top of soulleech.

Now destro is gonna have passive 15% or more DR on top of a random amount of DR per hit taken up to another same % as the base passive.

As for PvP I can't say since I don't partake.
    Non crits drain soul is actually ~452k (thats with one drain soul relic and reap up). Crits are one million under reap. Weirdly enough drain soul is only 10% of our healing on even the most dmg intensive fights with 95% overheal lul.

One shot mechanics dont really care for your selfheal though. Mobility is still important.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2017-05-26 at 07:21 PM.

Guys according to blizzard melee still take a tax for being mobile by having to go from one target to the next, their million intercept abilities aren't enough. Turret casting is such garbage, I get that it's nice and takes skill for planned movement but I still think they can make encounters challenging without us having to literally stop moving for everything except mechanics. Even ghostcrawler before he left said he thought casters having to always stand still was an antiquated idea...

Their explanation is warlocks are more tanky as a result... for what world quests? As tanky as we can be, it's not gonna get us out of one shot mechanics. Besides, I think it's fun to move around.

Demo is kinda awful, demonic empowerment and having to use addons to play the spec is just garbage. Destro not having a shadowburn baseline drops the skillcap by quite a bit, it was stupid that it was even changed after WoD and affliction relies on things dying. gg. I guess all these things don't matter if they shit out big damage.
    Last edited by Gohzerlock; 2017-05-26 at 08:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Who needs mobility when you do over 1m hps as aff drain soul ticks doing just shy of 2m on crits and just around 600k on non crits is silly on top of soulleech.

Now destro is gonna have passive 15% or more DR on top of a random amount of DR per hit taken up to another same % as the base passive.

As for PvP I can't say since I don't partake.
    Well I dunno what your gear is like but at 905 I have never seen Drain Soul ever crit anything near 2m or non-crits of 600k, I mean, DS for me is like 450k over 5 seconds so even with Reap and other selfbuffs active I don;t see where numbers like yours are coming from.

Yeah affliction has a lot of self-healing but it also eats mana and demands a lot of lifetapping

Moreover, mobility is about more than taking damage and healing through it. Raid encounters are built to force you to move, and many mechanics do raid-wide splash damage, or give you stacking debuffs that are designed to be all but unhealable (or at least severely strain a healer), or spawn crap etc etc. Yeah I can take some stuff, like Krosus' laser, but a lot of stuff I can't, or can screw other people if I do.

One sure way to make yourself very unpopular is to take a hit that causes splash damage and kill other team-mates or force your healers to top everyone up and then justify it by sauing "hey I'm Ok and I can just self-heal ya know lulz"

And then there are mechanics that are designed to one shot anyone because they do massive damage or they are simply one-shot that just plan kill regardless of anything, we;ve even had ones that will kill you through immunities like iceblock.
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-05-26 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    Well I dunno what your gear is like but at 905 I have never seen Drain Soul ever crit anything near 2m or non-crits of 600k, I mean, DS for me is like 450k over 5 seconds so even with Reap and other selfbuffs active I don;t see where numbers like yours are coming from.

Yeah affliction has a lot of self-healing but it also eats mana and demands a lot of lifetapping

Moreover, mobility is about more than taking damage and healing through it. Raid encounters are built to force you to move, and many mechanics do raid-wide splash damage, or give you stacking debuffs that are designed to be all but unhealable (or at least severely strain a healer), or spawn crap etc etc. Yeah I can take some stuff, like Krosus' laser, but a lot of stuff I can't, or can screw other people if I do.
    I was talking about the healing. It does 360% of the damage as healing. A Drain with Reap that crits heals for 1.7m roughly in my gear.

https://gyazo.com/296efa292ed43e3a592f5c87968e07ba no food, no flask, nothing just drained a fresh mob with reap only. 1 crit 1 non crit.
    Last edited by Jellospally; 2017-05-26 at 10:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    Aside from the fact that you shouldn't
    a) use all bosses as that is misleading, especially due to Scorp
    b) use 90th percentile to reply to a post stating they rather play a 3-button huntard spec (probably not even Mythic for that same reason)

You are correct, in that both Affli and Demo are actually performing better than BM on 7 out of 10 current raid.
    But afflic probably owuldn;t without the ridiculously high uptimes of Wrath of Consumption and Reap, which together add up to a 50% damage increase.

Wrath just got nerfhammered by 50% but hopefuly that just means affliction will be more tuned around not having it, anyway, Wrath will probably be like it was in EN, doing fuckall for most of the time, because Sargeras fights do not seem to feature contant supplies of little adds to cheese for buffs

anyway Wrath was designed to work with the original artifact mechanic, where it would spawn killable adds, which would have meant high uptimes of WOC when encounters didn;t have adds of their own. They pulled that out, promising to adjust the rest of the artifact to compensate, but didn;t. WOC was virtually useles sin EN, most of the time it did nothing.

Not really productive thread; closearino.