Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Thats not even the slightest bit funny, I hope she gets more than just fired as an adult in her position.
    Fired is the MOST they can do, other than a bad joke she did NOTHING illegal to require and for of punishment beyond that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    So if this student were to get into this position at a job interview. Then the news agencies are 100% to blame.
    it's a joke. Are all americans really like this, "you can't joke about certain things"

If we cant joke, and make fun of terrorists, that creates even more fear.

If we fear them more, they win.
    They won a long time ago. 9/11 is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, military success in modern asymmetrical warfare. Were still paying for it today. Maybe some of the things like mass surveillance were inevitable to happen, but they sure got a big boost last decade because of fear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Yes it is. Grow some skin thicker than a piece of tissue paper.
    It's funny if you're a white person who doesn't think your skin color, country of origin or religion will put you on a secret watch list.

Besides don't we have funnier things give our children? Like "most likely to drink soap and fart bubbles"? She's 13 for christs sake. Let the kids be kids for a little while before we dump the shithole that is adult reality on them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's so weird to me that almost no one, regardless of whether you think it's funny or not, is acknowledging that this could very well be just dangerous.

In general Americans are paranoid about potential terrorism these days. You can see story after story on the news of someone getting harrassed, tossed off a plane, or visited by the authorities for the flimsiest of reasons.

All it takes is one kid going to their parents and telling them that their classmate was told they were likely to become a terrorist for that parent to flip out and do god only knows what.

It's not a question of thick or thin skin -- it's about school being safe places for kids and not doing stuff that could cause them harm.

THAT'S why it's inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheCherriesLover View Post
    PC gone mad, it's just a bit of banter.
    Banter targeted at a 13 year old student from a grown woman? But yet morons still excuse it because "Hurr Durr, it's a joke". No, it's just stupid people being stupid. And unemployed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Yes it is. Grow some skin thicker than a piece of tissue paper.
    I will. When you grow up and decide to be an intelligent human being rather than an edgelord.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Agree, not sure why people can't see how it's wrong in this exact context.
    Because they see this as the war on PC culture. They don't realize it's just them being shitty human beings

So what IS the joke actually?

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently there was another award for "Most likely to blend in with white people" which is such a hilarious way of calling a 7th grader an Uncle Tom....

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Yeah lets hope she gets raped too for telling a harmless joke!
    Maybe she'll get raped by the kid she gave the "Most likely to become a Rapist" award to. He can be all "It's just a prank!"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I think the 13 yo girl reacting like that really proves shes likely to become a terrorist. Im sure theres ALOT more wer it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    So what IS the joke actually?
    the people in this thread that think this is okay?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Y'know, I'm a teacher, and there's a pretty significant role this moron of an educator ignored.

Do not single out a student in a negative light unless you know exactly what you're doing and are prepared for the consequences. Not even if you're joking around.

You damn well don't know if it'll hurt their feelings, and you can easily change not only your relationship with that student, but the entire class as well. Anyone with any classroom management skill only alters the class dynamic if it's headed in a negative direction, and only then with thought and precision.

This job is not for the socially stupid, and this was socially stupid.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, you would have to sit back and see how the 13 year old girl acts on a day to day basis before saying it isn't a joke.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    In my opinion, you would have to sit back and see how the 13 year old girl acts on a day to day basis before saying it isn't a joke.
    Right from the Article:

Hernandez said her daughter is in an advanced academic program and has never had a discipline problem.
    The Channelview Independent School District is disciplining
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Right from the Article:
    Yet it doesn't show how she acts and reacts to others or how mean or not she is. ALL parents say their kids are great and they have no problems out of them. These are the same kids who go and kill someone just for fun or whatever their reason is.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    What sort of behavior would a child demonstrate to make it funny to call them a potential terrorist?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but this strikes me as the sort of thing that should make a teacher reconsider whether or not their joke is worth it.
    I should think the general rule is "Is this something I'd be comfortable presenting to my department chair and principal in a job interview as an example of the enriching work I present students with?"

If the answer is anywhere from "eh" to "no" I should think one would reconsider giving it in the first place.

Yet it doesn't show how she acts and reacts to others or how mean or not she is. ALL parents say their kids are great and they have no problems out of them. These are the same kids who go and kill someone just for fun or whatever their reason is.
    Discipline problems would be on the child's record.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    What sort of behavior would a child demonstrate to make it funny to call them a potential terrorist?
    Beheadings I guess, you can't really profile someone as a suicide bomber since that's kind of a one-time thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    I should think the general rule is "Is this something I'd be comfortable presenting to my department chair and principal in a job interview as an example of the enriching work I present students with?"

If the answer is anywhere from "eh" to "no" I should think one would reconsider giving it in the first place.
    This. I mean if we're doing "Most likely to become...." and they're intended to be silly, there's a HUGE array of things we can pick from. "Most like to become a crazy cat lady." "Most likely to have the largest anime collection." "Most likely to still blow bubbles in their chocolate milk at 50." A little depreciating humor can be fun and funny for everyone.

But this? This is just dumb. I mean does anyone think calling a kid "Most likely to assassinate the president." is funny? "Most likely to cause the next 9/11."? "Most likely to commit genocide."? Are these sorts of things "funny" to people?

Just, be kind.