Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    It's a super bad idea to confront people that are acting out in public. These people are mentally unstable and often armed so if you want to do anything call the police (but make sure they can't see/hear you do it). Personally I've seen a man be stabbed to death for standing up to one of these types.
    Eh. Bystander effect is generally shitty, because it means that most people stand by and do nothing while other people do terrible shit. I think a better response is for more responsible people to carry protection items like pepper spray and spray the shit out of people once it becomes clear that a lethal situation is happening or very clearly about to happen.

Also, crazy people ARE more likely to back down in the face of a majority, but two people is generally not enough to scare someone if they're truly off their rocker. You see and hear about incidents where it takes five officers to take a man down (usually mentally ill and/or on some sort of illicit substance), it happens more often then you think.

If you're going to confront someone, have backup.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really telling that certain people in this thread rather than give their condolences to the two who lost their lives are being snarky about it due to obvious reasons. I can guarantee you had the two died defending something right-wing related there would have been an uproar.

Really sad to see loss of life especially when they were trying to stand up for others.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Eh. Bystander effect is generally shitty, because it means that most people stand by and do nothing while other people do terrible shit. I think a better response is for more responsible people to carry protection items like pepper spray and spray the shit out of people once it becomes clear that a lethal situation is happening or very clearly about to happen.

Also, crazy people ARE more likely to back down in the face of a majority, but two people is generally not enough to scare someone if they're truly off their rocker. You see and hear about incidents where it takes five officers to take a man down (usually mentally ill and/or on some sort of illicit substance), it happens more often then you think.

If you're going to confront someone, have backup.
    Nothing terrible usually is going on though. Sure being verbally harassed in public sucks, but in comparison to being stabbed to death it's really low down on the list of things you don't want to happen. Pepper spray isn't enough to safely bring down a willing attacker, you would need a firearm or taser for that at which point you have to wonder if tasing someone is the proper response to verbal harassment (I would consider that an unwarranted escalation of force).

I don't know what your experience with fights is, but bringing someone down who is armed safely is extremely dangerous and difficult. Even if you could somehow confer with and recruit a bunch of people to help you, it's still quite likely someone will get stabbed while everyone is trying to grab the man and disarm him. The only time I'd ever feel comfortable in this situation would be with a team of trained fighters against one guy, and the average person in public is extremely far away from being a trained fighter. I would strongly suggest to do nothing or leave and call the police for the safety of everyone involved. Real life isn't a martial arts movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    It's really telling that certain people in this thread rather than give their condolences to the two who lost their lives are being snarky about it due to obvious reasons. I can guarantee you had the two died defending something right-wing related there would have been an uproar.

Really sad to see loss of life especially when they were trying to stand up for others.
    Meh, they fucked up and paid the price for it. People feel bad for innocents losing their lives to things outside their control, not a couple of dumbshit would be tough guys.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm confused by the title thread. This has nothing to do with IS, are you just trying to bait people?

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    White Knighting gone wrong.

Remember kids, if you gotta white knight, do it online.
    This is worthy of quoting. /highfive

ISIS is mainly a recruitment medium for homegrown terrorist.
    It's not like as if they introduce some brand new ideology that would lure these people in. That's why I think the root of the problem is the good ol divide and rule practices by the corrupt politicians.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I carried a .45 on me when I was taking MAX.

I would be carry a gun on me at all times if i lived there, i would here to if it was legal. Shame about the deaths though.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The victims should have been armed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    How is this in any way comparable to ISIS? Someone murdered someone?
    Maybe he thinks ISIS has a trademark on slitting someone's throat?
    /shrugs
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    White Knighting gone wrong.

Remember kids, if you gotta white knight, do it online.
    Or carry the right sword in RL.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Cities have all kinds of folk in them, by virtue of their population size.
    Portland scores pretty high on have a lot of Caucasians. Over 76% of their population is "white". Where is my area 33% are "white".
    Portland was in the news recently too for "culturally appropriatation" and were bullied into closing their business down. When two Caucasian women opened up a burrito stand. Apparently, white people aren't allowed to cook Mexican style food.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Yeah man, guns make every situation better.

OP: Can't say I see the ISIS connection.
    Would rather be caught with one , than without one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Haha.

I somehow don't think people would feel safe with muslims walking around with guns.
    They will anyway. You think the ones in Paris who had firearms, had them legally?

Haha.

I somehow don't think people would feel safe with muslims walking around with guns.
    As long as they have a CHL/LTC their shouldn't be an issue.

... So now, ISIS are behind anti-Muslim attacks carried out by bigots?

Man... Not long now before ISIS are credited with the next cold epidemic...

Nonsense.

Let's be real now. People of color or muslims generally don't wear guns in carry states because they know it's life-threatening for themselves.

Example: "The story of how Philando Castile died, as told by his girlfriend Diamond Reynolds, is one of a man who did everything he could to comply with the police officer who pulled him over. As Reynolds recounted in a harrowing press conference Thursday, Castile told the officer he was armed with a gun after being asked for his license and registration; Reynolds says she then told the officer the gun was legal and that her boyfriend had a permit allowing him to carry it. Moments later, the officer shot Castile multiple times, causing injuries that soon proved fatal."
    Anyone that passes the background checks/tests and pays for the classes/registration fees can get a CHL/LTC. In fact, as a general rule police are more comfortable around people with CHL/LTC licenses since they have passed the rigorous background checks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh good. I see we're back to labeling violence done by a conservative white dude as mental illness, but violence done by anyone else as a sign of something much broader that demonizes a whole group.

Any chance we want to talk about how the rhetoric used by the right caused this incident? Anyone? No? Ok. Bad mentally ill person bad bad.

Thread title is absurd.

Sad that these 2 men died trying to do something good. A lot of mentally unhinged people out there, always be careful if you're entering a confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    This is why you dont ride public transportation it attracts the psychos.
    True.

when I first got out of the army I was offered a armed security job on the lightrail here in Phoenix. I hear stories of people being stabbed and spit on and I was like...naaaa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Oh good. I see we're back to labeling violence done by a conservative white dude as mental illness, but violence done by anyone else as a sign of something much broader that demonizes a whole group.

Any chance we want to talk about how the rhetoric used by the right caused this incident? Anyone? No? Ok. Bad mentally ill person bad bad.
    If you want to talk about that, why are you so dismissive of Islamic theology being a motivator for terrorism? Kind of seems like you don't have much of a point other than to exaggerate what practically no one has actually said (your first sentence). Really, is there any proof of this hyperbole?