Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Betrayer... Have we forgotten?

We've seen Illidan sacrifice his entire team of Moon Guard to save Black Rook Hold.
    We've heard Illidan bitch about how little we've sacrificed.

We've learned by now that much like Sargeras, Illidan is going to, and will sacrifice everything to destroy his foe.

Yep, that's how Blizzard has been retelling Illidan's story. He's not the Betrayer, he's the Sacrifice-er

... So who's going to stop Illidan when he attempts to sacrifice you, me, and the other brave defenders of Azeroth who have sacrificed so little..? When Sargeras is too strong for him, and he needs our power...

Who is going to stop Illidan when he betrays us?
    Bingo. Us.

Thoughts? This just seems a little too foreshadow-y to me.

Duh... we been gathering Artifact power for a reason! xD
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Too "foreshadow-y"? Why? That's how you set up plots. Tension, controversy, uncertainty.

There's nothing secretive about it as far as Legion storytelling goes. The fact that as a DH, you can side either with Altruis or Kayn, the flashback quests that explain Illidan's backstory, Maiev's reluctant acceptance of the fact that Illidan is cooperating with "us" now etc. - it's all clearly kept ambivalent and openly presents the question to the player: how do you see it? How do we know what's right? What would have you done differently? Etc. The plan definitely is to keep people guessing, and it's also what keeps a character interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    Duh... we been gathering Artifact power for a reason! xD
    Not sure I understand at all what you're trying to imply. The same thing as I?
    That we're going to be betrayed by Illidan and have to take him down once more?
    Or the same thing that everyone has been vaguely explaining "drain our artifact power to win lul"?

Hoping to find more evidence for or against this case specifically on a lore basis.

Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had FORGIVEN?

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Too "foreshadow-y"? Why? That's how you set up plots. Tension, controversy, uncertainty.

There's nothing secretive about it as far as Legion storytelling goes. The fact that as a DH, you can side either with Altruis or Kayn, the flashback quests that explain Illidan's backstory, Maiev's reluctant acceptance of the fact that Illidan is cooperating with "us" now etc. - it's all clearly kept ambivalent and openly presents the question to the player: how do you see it? How do we know what's right? What would have you done differently? Etc. The plan definitely is to keep people guessing, and it's also what keeps a character interesting.
    Yea man. That's what I'm trying to say. It's pretty damn foreshadow-y to me because it's making us ask that question, but really the storytelling is assuming we think Illidan can't go evil again.. He's all about sacrifice and helping us!
    (Again, just my interpretation. So thank you for engaging and sharing yours! Just discussing this stuff is fun. )

Edit: On a different note to the quote above:
    I'm not saying this is soley what I believe is going to happen. In fact, I'm still mostly believing Illidan is possessed like Medivh was. He's got Sargeras inside waiting to use him and Illidan won't even know he's done bad.
    Last edited by elderu; 2017-05-27 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic4LIFE View Post
    Yea man. That's what I'm trying to say. It's pretty damn foreshadow-y to me because it's making us ask that question, but really the storytelling is assuming we think Illidan can't go evil again.. He's all about sacrifice and helping us!
    (Again, just my interpretation. So thank you for engaging and sharing yours! Just discussing this stuff is fun. )
    I actually don't expect Illidan to survive this expansion. Part of me expects he'll give his life to deal a crippling blow to the Legion and or Sargeras. I really doubt we'll end up fighting him.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Illidan will sacrifice himself, pretty obvious by this point.

Especially when he saw Tyrande before he blacked out in the Black Temple cinematic.

And Cenarius telling Illidan he doesn't understand sacrifice.

That just solidified it for me.

https://youtu.be/su9cFa9Wh3I?t=3m4s
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-05-27 at 10:45 PM.

So you think Illidan is going to sacrifice Azeroth to save Azeroth? That goes against his goal in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Feardotdead View Post
    And I'm posing the question, with some reasoning too, that he will not sacrifice himself.. Not before he betrays us.
    So coming in without any real discussion on why you think at least besides it being "pretty obvious by this point.", that he'll sacrifice himself is just useless. Defend your claim like I'm trying to. Hell I'm literally asking people to also come and shut me down if they have a solid argument too.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    So you think Illidan is going to sacrifice Azeroth to save Azeroth? That goes against his goal in the book.
    I think he'll see that to save Azeroth, he has to sacrifice us for the greater good. Believing that's his right to decide.
    But thank you for referencing the book! I have not read it and I would like more people to use it to refute or back what I'm proposing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never thought about that...

(N'Zoth wakes up)
    N'Zoth yells: MORTALS, IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOUR WORLD! I HAVE DUG DEEP INTO IT'S MIND AND SIEZED ITS HEART! THE DARK TITAN SHALL BE BORN! (Earthquakes)

Illidan says: We still have time, 'heroes'. Do what must be done. I have used the Sargerite Keystone to open a portal to Azeroth's heart. We must slay the slumbering Titan before it wakes and damns us all!

(Nope.avi, good guys don't do that apparently)

Illidan yells: YOU SEEK TO STAY MY BLADE AGAIN? FOOLS, HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING FROM LAST TIME? Very well, I am accustomed to naivety amongst the races of this world. I shall slay the Titan myself, even if I have to step over your corpses to do so. ILLIDARI, TO ME! If you are loyal enough to choose your master over your dying world, then you have chosen wisely. Those who stand in the way of my...(Illidan glows with holy Light) SALVATION...shall burn with both the flames of hell and heaven! MORTALS! Hear me! We will always face forces that seek to take EVERYTHING from us! But we few, we foolish few, choose to GIVE them that everything they desire to take, so that the ignorant may remain peacefully unaware! We lose the game so that they do not even have to play. I have played many games. I have lost my love, my honor, my homeland, my body, and my soul. I am prepared to give up my world as well. So I ask this of you, 'heroes'...Are you prepared?

(Fight starts)

And I'm posing the question, with some reasoning too, that he will not sacrifice himself.. Not before he betrays us.
    So coming in without any real discussion on why you think at least besides it being "pretty obvious by this point.", that he'll sacrifice himself is just useless. Defend your claim like I'm trying to. Hell I'm literally asking people to also come and shut me down if they have a solid argument too.
    Edited my post.

Also at Blizzcon they said Illidan will get a redemption story, so no he won't betray us.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I never thought about that...
    -snip-
    I like the way you think hahaha. This certainly does make that vision he thought he saw of himself come true.
    (he saw the vision yes, but he doesn't know for -sure- that is was him right?")

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the way you think hahaha. This certainly does make that vision he thought he saw of himself come true.
    (he saw the vision yes, but he doesn't know for -sure- that is was him right?")
    Visions don't necessarily mean they come true. Even in that one short story related to Velen, it was said they aren't necessarily going to happen. That said, something similar could happen. Illidan might become some super demon or something.

(That sounds funny when I say it and DBZesque)
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Edited my post.

Also at Blizzcon they said Illidan will get a redemption story, so no he won't betray us.
    Interestingly, I have those cinematics open on another tab already, and was thinking they could be possible hints towards the betrayal story route.

I'd say Illidan already got his redemption story. We found out that he wasn't a bad guy in BC at all, but was willing to dispatch us to destroy the Legion.

If we have, it wouldn't surprise me if he'll once again turn out to stay true to his title...

Quote Originally Posted by Rorixis View Post
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had FORGIVEN?
    Best Forsaken character ever.

Especially when he saw Tyrande before he blacked out in the Black Temple cinematic.

And Cenarius telling Illidan he doesn't understand sacrifice.

That just solidified it for me.

https://youtu.be/su9cFa9Wh3I?t=3m4s
    That cinematic was a memory while Illidan was still a druid in training before he gave that up and became a mage. So it was way before he received Sargeras's gift.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    So? Illidan then berates anyone who asks him where we should live now, "Muh sacrifice"

betrayer, they call him betrayer but in truth he was the betrayed.