Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Except the post called false equivalency is the concept that lots of people here, no mention of left and right, drink the koolaid on this forum.

Can't see what's false about that.
    Right, I didn't argue about the assertion since I agree in this day and age the tendency to bubble yourself in information that only aligns to your worldview is a universal problem. It's probably still not equally done on both sides, but the problem is big enough the difference doesn't really matter.

But I do feel it's really important to understand the difference between making comparisons and claiming equivalence. Because if you can succeed in pushing a false equivalence narrative you often do harm to a group of people who is dis-proportionally being affected by whatever the issue is.

- - - Updated - - -

And that turns your argument into "No one is allowed to be compared to us". Because it will never be the same to people like you.
    No -- you are still mixing up comparisons to equivalencies. I honestly don't know how else to explain it. Tony seemed to get it -- maybe he can verbalize it better.

Whammy question: Can you actually find anyone on this board calling themself alt-right? Because that "self given" title shit doesn't mean a thing if people actually call themselves that.
    I'm pretty sure I saw one of the more fringy posters owning that title. I don't want to guess with names since that might be considered flaming or something infractable. But there have been conversations where the more extreme posters have owned up to being alt-right, racist, whatever. Of course you'd have to then believe they post truthfully and some of the more extreme posters it gets hard to believe.

But if you move beyond these boards you'll see people own the alt-right title proudly.

But titles are meaningless and this whole alt-right or alt-left debate is dumb IMO. You know what views people hold -- what they or anyone else calls them doesn't change those views.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Right, I didn't argue about the assertion since I agree in this day and age the tendency to bubble yourself in information that only aligns to your worldview is a universal problem. It's probably still not equally done on both sides, but the problem is big enough the difference doesn't really matter.

But I do feel it's really important to understand the difference between making comparisons and claiming equivalence. Because if you can succeed in pushing a false equivalence narrative you often do harm to a group of people who is dis-proportionally being affected by whatever the issue is.

- - - Updated - - -

No -- you are still mixing up comparisons to equivalencies. I honestly don't know how else to explain it. Tony seemed to get it -- maybe he can verbalize it better.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of the more fringy posters owning that title. I don't want to guess with names since that might be considered flaming or something infractable. But there have been conversations where the more extreme posters have owned up to being alt-right, racist, whatever. Of course you'd have to then believe they post truthfully and some of the more extreme posters it gets hard to believe.

But if you move beyond these boards you'll see people own the alt-right title proudly.

But titles are meaningless and this whole alt-right or alt-left debate is dumb IMO. You know what views people hold -- what they or anyone else calls them doesn't change those views.
    Actually, it does. That's why people are vomiting the words nazi and fascist about people that:

1. Never called themselves
    2. Don't fit those parameters.

That's why this President and the last two were regularly called Nazi/Fascist/Hitler. And people actually believe it.

P.S. Still waiting on Nazi uprising. The deep South should be on fire from all the racists and xenophobes that I'm told make up the majority of states Trump won.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Since the alt-left is not a thing, nope.
    You seem pretty intent on denying something exists which is just a simple descriptor. Do you have trouble believing in any new words?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    The rights new buzzword boogyman to scare old white guys
    They need something new since they cant run on them emails anymore and Benghazi turned out to be nothing as well

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    They need something new since they cant run on them emails anymore and Benghazi turned out to be nothing as well
    I know right, we don't have media blockbusters like "OMG Trump has two scoops of icecream and everyone else has one" and "OMG he eats fired chicken with a fork!!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    If the alt right commonly aludes to extremists in that side of the spectrum - at least that's what it seems to be - what would then be the issue with labelling their counterparts on the left as Alt-Left?
    Because the alt-right is a self-identified group, so such group exists on the left-wing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You seem pretty intent on denying something exists which is just a simple descriptor. Do you have trouble believing in any new words?
    If they are purely made up to be a boogeyman, yes.

Actually, it does. That's why people are vomiting the words nazi and fascist about people that:

1. Never called themselves
    2. Don't fit those parameters.

That's why this President and the last two were regularly called Nazi/Fascist/Hitler. And people actually believe it.

P.S. Still waiting on Nazi uprising. The deep South should be on fire from all the racists and xenophobes that I'm told make up the majority of states Trump won.
    I travel all over Texas for work (also live in Austin, TX). The vast majority of Texans are patriots before labeling themselves democrats/republicans and will go to great depths to protect the constitution and American Values. All i'll say, from my experience in the last year traveling in Texas is they feel the west and east coast (mainly cali/NY ) are so disconnected from the reality of what's happening in the rest of america and the world in general.

I'll put it this way. There's a boiling point, and Texans are getting tired of the clueless media and people who seemingly don't know how to critically think, or even think for themselves for that matter. I wouldn't want to be antifa and attempt to start something in Texas which may happen soon with the Sam Houston Monument.

^ Just my personal experiences and overhearing/discussing the current situation with people at events and rallies and seeing conventions unfold.
    Last edited by rosebull; 2017-05-27 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the alt-right is a self-identified group, so such group exists on the left-wing
    Is self identification a pre-requesite to identify something or someone as anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is self identification a pre-requesite to identify something or someone as anything?
    It is how the alt right started....

10+ Year Old Account
    It is how the alt right started....
    That does not answer the question though.

10+ Year Old Account
    That does not answer the question though.
    So its irrelevant even it only started getting used in response to the alt right?

If they really do exist, what defines it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    based on....?
    Based on the fact that I can go onto youtube right now, and pull videos of lunatic leftists committing acts of violence against those who dare to have a different opinion. I.E. Huntington beach and Berkley.

Hell, I can't think of a single time the Tea party, which emerged in opposition to Obama, ever committed acts of violence against those that disagreed with them during their rallies.

Also, theres plenty of leftist "revolutionary" organizations that routinely commit acts of violence now and in the past

ALF
    ELF
    Weather underground
    FALN
    Black liberation army

"the Armed resistance movement" a communist organization that in 1983 bombed the us capital in response to the invasion of Grenada

Leftist militants bombed the manhattan criminal court Nov 12 1969

Folks like Jane Alpert and Sam Melville

Does the right have loons, yes. Outside of abortion clinic bombings, it seems the rights tendancy to ACTUAL terrorism or group violence is less.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    The mirror of alt-right I would guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't he teach an 'Ethics' class? How apropos...
    Again not even close. With the alt-right, they called themselves that. Richard Spencer, the Neo-Nazi made the name. The Republicans and their voters embrace these people, even electing them to public office. Whereas with the fringe left, no one holds office and the right wing made up the name to try to show that there is hypocrisy on the left and that we embrace them. We don't, we shun them unlike right wingers like yourself. You will say you aren't right wing, but you sure aren't fucking independent like you claim with your defense of right wingers constantly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Based on the fact that I can go onto youtube right now, and pull videos of lunatic leftists committing acts of violence against those who dare to have a different opinion. I.E. Huntington beach and Berkley.

Hell, I can't think of a single time the Tea party, which emerged in opposition to Obama, ever committed acts of violence against those that disagreed with them during their rallies.
    What would the point of joining a terrorist organization in the US be for a right-winger?

If you are a far right sociopath you can just join up for the drone program and blow up orphanage after orphanage full of raghead kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    So its irrelevant even it only started getting used in response to the alt right?

If they really do exist, what defines it?
    The alt right was/is identified as such out of their own will. That doesn't mean, thought, that one needs to wait for something to be self identified in order to do it yourself.

If one wants to call leftist extremists Alt-Left, what is the issue? My surprise is linked more with apparently people forgetting - perhaps voluntarily - that this strand of the left was called Regressive not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    What would the point of joining a terrorist organization in the US be for a right-winger?

If you are a far right sociopath you can just join up for the drone program and blow up orphanage after orphanage full of raghead kids.
    lol

A admitted Marxist is going to lecture ANYONE about needless violence.

Top Kek.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    So anecdotal evidence. Gotcha. Figured you'd have zero evidence of such a claim.

You just listing a bunch of incidents or organizations isn't proof of anything. Shit, if we're playing this game then I can just list one thing that beats all of this

The US army.

Thanks for playing.
    Yawn.

I named actual domestic terrorist organizations, while in butthurt agony list a military organization.

Like Donald would say, Huge Loser.

Yawn.

I named actual domestic terrorist organizations, while in butthurt agony list a military organization.

I can name domestic terrorist organizations too that identify as alt-right or defend alt-right people. How about all of these "patriotic" militia groups that popped up based on bullshit from Obama's presidency? Oathkeepers, the douches that defended the Bundys and the Bundys themselves. They have actually committed domestic terrorism, while what you are saying is domestic terrorism isn't actually domestic terrorism.

The alt right was/is identified as such out of their own will. That doesn't mean, thought, that one needs to wait for something to be self identified in order to do it yourself.

If one wants to call leftist extremists Alt-Left, what is the issue? My surprise is linked more with apparently people forgetting - perhaps voluntarily - that this strand of the left was called Regressive not too long ago.
    Because it is a false equivalency. There exists no leftwing counterpart to the alt-right. So it would be a descriptor that makes no sense.

Same with regressive, actually, given that the people you'd want to deride as such, are actually progressive. Again, makes no sense.

Call them what they are: Anti-Fascists. Or heroes.

- - - Updated - - -

Yawn.

None of the groups you labelled are terrorists. They are organisations that fight fascists. That's like calling Allied soldiers during WW2 terrorists.

70 years ago the professor would have been awarded a medal. Sad how times have changed.

Deleted
    lol

A admitted Marxist is going to lecture ANYONE about needless violence.

Top Kek.
    There's one person in this conversation who kills people for money, and it isn't the Marxist.