Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    It wouldn't bother me a bit. They should chart their own course.

And the US can focus on the 50 states/territories/commonwealths, while putting forward a 21st century version of the Monroe Doctrine; basically stating that anyone from outside the Americas screwing around on either of the 2 continents is subject to getting fcked by the US military.

Eventually, of course, someone in the Eastern Hemisphere will go full stupid as they have in the past, and do something that we can't ignore, or that will cause others on that side of the planet to once again beg for the US to ride to the rescue.
    Madness. Utter and complete madness. And you know why it's madness.

I got news for you: military/security matters are a fraction of the US-Western alliance. Want to know when America will lose, and lose often? When instead of America+the EU tag teaming in places like the WTO or international institutions, it's the EU and China, bound by the New Silk Road, that does it at our expense.

What's with you and national strategic suicide Berengil? America is 5% the world's population, 26% of it's economy. The only way we project power and protect our interests globally, in this global civilization we're part of, is by teaming up with partners.... partners you (very foolishly) do not value.

Without them, we're a richer Brazil. Your entire foreign policy thought process takes the US back to where it was pre-World War I... being the weird uncle on the other side of the ocean that's a rounding error, victim of decisions made in rooms we're not invited into.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    If Germany wants to plot their own course let them, just don't have everyone else crash and burn with you. How are those No-go zones coming along in Germany by the way? This video was taken in France but since Germany took over 1 million economic refugees i'm sure it applies there as well
    I could feel my brain melting watching the video. I guess you watch this and related shit on loop and you are just the result of this?

If Germany wants to plot their own course let them, just don't have everyone else crash and burn with you. How are those No-go zones coming along in Germany by the way? This video was taken in France but since Germany took over 1 million economic refugees i'm sure it applies there as well
    Meh, there are slumish neighbourhoods, but bordering one of them, I wouldn't call it a no-go zone.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    So far, no Trumpkin has dared to set foot in this thread. You reckon they will show up, or how much longer until they realise the gravity of their mistake? They absolutely bet on the wrong horse, if you ask me.
    They'll find ways to justify it or they won't show up. They're comprehensively cowardly people, top to bottom. We see it here in America all the time with Donald Trump and his incredible shrinking base of support.

All talk, no balls, no guts. "Deplorable" is a nice way to put them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    They'll find ways to justify it or they won't show up. They're comprehensively cowardly people, top to bottom. We see it here in America all the time with Donald Trump and his incredible shrinking base of support.

All talk, no balls, no guts. "Deplorable" is a nice way to put them.
    What's worse is that they seem to actively want America to hurt. It's like every time something goes foul for the grand plan of USA hegemony, they celebrate it like a victory.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    I could feel my brain melting watching the video. I guess you watch this and related shit on loop and you are just the result of this?
    your brain melts when exposed to facts? i feel sorry for you. Let me break it down for you, importing thousands of refugees with no proper place to put them or even help them assimilate causes them to form ghettos where anyone with the wrong skin colour gets attacked. This is happening in a first world country and you aren't the least bit concerned? really?

7+ Year Old Account
    Without them, we're a richer Brazil. Your entire foreign policy thought process takes the US back to where it was pre-World War I... being the weird uncle on the other side of the ocean that's a rounding error, victim of decisions made in rooms we're not invited into.
    Not in every respect. Our level of military spending would be maintained. The current level of spending that enables all this gallavanting about the world would obviously be far more than adequate to firmly establish US dominance in the Americas.

Not to mention maintaining and modernizing our nuclear arsenal is the ultimate deadman switch. The bargain would be: really f with us, and the planet goes poof.

I respect your breadth of knowledge, Skroe. But I disagree with your goal of the US engaging all over the world. Our geographic isolation coupled with soon-to-be net energy exporter status & our world-ending nuclear arsenal means we can tell the other side of the planet " F off and leave us alone. There will be no second warning."
    Last edited by Berengil; 2017-05-28 at 09:31 PM.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Holding the World hostage with nukes, is a pretty stupid idea. Not sure what you'd hope to achieve other than isolation, you're basicly talking about copying north koreas approach to international diplomacy lol

your brain melts when exposed to facts? i feel sorry for you. Let me break it down for you, importing thousands of refugees with no proper place to put them or even help them assimilate causes them to form ghettos where anyone with the wrong skin colour gets attacked. This is happening in a first world country and you aren't the least bit concerned? really?
    The no-go zones are vastly overdramatized. But keep believing the BS.

P.S. I remember the city info in Washington DC telling us to avoid the uneven/even lanes in the 20s or something range too. Yet you don't see me going around calling Washington DC a hellhole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Holding the World hostage with nukes, is a pretty stupid idea. Not sure what you'd hope to achieve other than isolation, you're basicly talking about copying north koreas approach to international diplomacy lol
    Somebody should tell him that nukes aren't that hard to make. /shrug

7+ Year Old Account
    Not at all, they could do whatever they wanted on their side of the planet. The nuke threat is for them to stay the f out of ours.
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams

Deleted
    You know that the current ghettos are a problem created back in the 60s? With the Bidonvilles? And Europe as a whole learned alot about integration since then?

7+ Year Old Account
    Americans offer up excuses as to why that is. "Deplorables". "Hillary was a terrible candidate". "Liberals". Nonsense. Utter nonsense. This was a time to stand up for Western liberal democratic values and the American electorate catastrophically failed an epochal, generational test. "land of the free" my ass... 60 million Americans decided to openly flirt with an authoritarian illiberal figure.
    That's your opinion, and of course lots of other peoples' opinion, Skroe. And it's also my opinion.

But have you considered that the 60 million Trump voters didn't share your opinion of some sort of epochal struggle? Maybe they saw it as a contest between parts of the country often ignored and insulted, religious faiths often attacked by "activist judges", & coastal technocrats who hate them and everything they believe in.

And they felt they had no choice, that they had been backed into a corner.

You might consider taking care when you speak sometimes, Skroe. You often adopt an authoritative tone that admits no possibility of mistake. I assume you're human like the rest of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Not at all, they could do whatever they wanted on their side of the planet. The nuke threat is for them to stay the f out of ours.
    The US does not controll the western hemisphere either.

Wow, you're actually closer to the truth than I initially thought. Pretty bold statement, but not totally stupid at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah don't worry. We don't want to intrude on your side anyway. Way too many mass shootings. You can hog all the violence you desire for yourself.

When was even the last time that anyone (who could be deterred by nukes) wanted to f with the US? Most of US military engagement overseas was always to further American interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    The US does not controll the western hemisphere either.
    Nah, but they do control the US. I hope they're fine when we make deals with Canada and Mexico instead. Both very nice countries, I heard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    When was even the last time that anyone (who could be deterred by nukes) wanted to f with the US? Most of US military engagement overseas was always to further American interests.
    That's kind of my point, Kiri. We should take our ball and go home. US non-engagement in the Eastern Hemisphere (after we have achieved full energy independence) will make all the trouble on that side of the world someone else's problem. And (metaphorically) there will be a "No Trespassing, violators will be shot" sign hanging over the Americas.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, but they do control the US. I hope they're fine when we make deals with Canada and Mexico instead. Both very nice countries, I heard.
    The deals are all very well, I'm talking about military interference. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    He is talking about the whole western hemisphere with his reference to the Monroe Doctrine.

Deleted
    I think Trumps focus on protectionism is really scary, in special considering the fact europes companies run factories in the united states at a large scale.

Add to that trump is a conspiracy theorist and nationalist when its about global warming, the free press and immigration, it is close to unbearable to work together with him.

At the G7 summit, trump behaved really arrogant. No great thing from a president.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-05-28 at 10:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    You really think that we can't project military power in the Middle East without Germany? This must be a joke. The US doesn't need Germany to conduct military operations in the Middle East.

The goal of Germany before WW1 was to conquer Europe. WW1 was anticipated by Germany, and was instigated by Germany. I'm not buying into western propaganda, you're buying into Nazi propaganda. Germany was an Empire looking for total conquest and domination of continental Europe.

And how is my premise historically inaccurate? Germany has trIed to dominate Europe since the fall Napoleon. That's historically accurate. Don't try to play down the past because it doesn't conform to your current view of Germany. You can disagree with me on their intentions now, but their past intentions are historical facts.

We have military stationed in Germany because Germany tried the world conquest thing a couple of times. And oh, let's not forget about the holocaust. Our occupation of Germany was necessary, and it was in no way an occupation of Europe. I feel like you've gotten all of your history from German textbooks, at this point.

We split Germany because they tried to dominate Europe. We split Europe to prevent another war. Sorry, pal, but the we'd likely be living a post apocalyptic world if we had just let Germany get off for their crimes against the entire world. Fighting in WW2 wasn't some power play. It was a crusade against tyranny and pure evil. Of all wars, it was the most justified. The only reason we're in Europe today is to protect against Russia, and from the Germans. Not to fight off ISIS.
    Germany's past domination was based in Prussian militarism. No other German state drove progress and belligerence like Prussia mostly because it wasn't quite rich in resources and its people were poor but it was ambitious and scheming rivalling all the other scheming powers at that time. Imperial Austria and France, both saw adversaries in Prussia. So Prussia always lingered on the verge of self-destruction and only avoided it through sheer luck a few times. Fast forward this fostered a culture of military primacy with stern characteristics (most Prussian rulers were Calvinists). Since most of Germany in the ended up in Prussian reigns one way or another it carried on to be adopted by most of Germany and most easily by states that were naturally loyal to Prussia. This tradition didn't die even with WWI. The Weimar Republic even made sure that it didn't. After WWII Prussia was the first state to be eradicated completely and again with it all militaristic traditions. This was one of the pillars on which the Allied powers agreed to.

So if you want to judge Germany by its past you need to get your head around the fact that if Germany seeks to dominate it's not by military and all your stationed armies won't help you as the new kind of dominance isn't of the kind that can be beaten with a head-on war. In fact when I hear German domination I am less inclined to believe that it even warrants the same kind of perspective. It requires a different perspective and not the one that tries to bring up the Holocaust and put it in line with modern German intentions. Not only is it an insult to the people who died in the Holocaust but it's also awfully contrived and utterly out of place.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!