Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Why do Americans Idolize Rich People?

I will never understand this general thought pattern in the US population. As far as I can tell the rich and powerful of this country actively funnel money into our political process in order to write the rules in their favor and the general public cherish them for it. It is like watching a really bad case of Stockholm syndrome except the scale is tens of millions of people.

Income inequality is at record highs, yet the American people think the best way to close that gap is to give tax cuts to the wealthy?!?!? I guess people generally conflate success with financial gain here in the us, but I have never been that way. For example, Nikola Tesla died penniless yet was the actual originator of AC current; however, here in America we celebrate the man that stole Tesla's ideas, Thomas Edison.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I simply don't conform to the general thinking patterns of this country.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2017-05-29 at 09:47 PM.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having money means life is easier, why wouldn't you aspire to have that?
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Its the entire world.. im not sure why you single out Americans

10+ Year Old Account
    A chain of thought that's based on premises that don't really hold true;

1> Hard work and smarts will guarantee you success
    2> The harder and/or smarter you work, the more success you'll have
    3> Thus, anyone rich has worked hard and is smart, and
    4> If you work hard too, you can be rich like them, it's just a matter of time.

Literally none of those, of course, holds up to scrutiny, let alone the combination.

Deleted
    Because if you are rich, you are successful. We admire successful people by our very nature.

It is why we especially idolize people who went from the bottom to the top, they proved their capability.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2017-05-29 at 09:53 PM.

because in this society and others, we view having a large amount of trading currency as an indicator of how much you're worth not in terms of monetary value but as a person overall. which... is fuckin silly and nonsensical to the extreme if you ask me. Like I don't give a shit how munch money Kanye West makes or has, he's still a gigantic gaping asshole.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Having money means life is easier, why wouldn't you aspire to have that?
    Because it doesn't necessarily mean you did much that actually mattered. You could have just started a business and paid your employees dirt wages while siphoning off all the profit for yourself. Why should that be look at as something to aspire to?

People live vicariously through them.

Who doesn't want more freedom to do what they want and have what they want?

Also American culture is pretty damn uneducated and a lot of outdated beliefs are still very prevalent. People tend to assume the more money you make, the more valid your opinion is on everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Because it doesn't necessarily mean you did much that actually mattered. You could have just started a business and paid your employees dirt wages while siphoning off all the profit for yourself. Why should that be look at as something to aspire to?
    Because then I can buy all the shiny things. I want the shiny things.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    A chain of thought that's based on premises that don't really hold true;

1> Hard work and smarts will guarantee you success
    2> The harder and/or smarter you work, the more success you'll have
    3> Thus, anyone rich has worked hard and is smart, and
    4> If you work hard too, you can be rich like them, it's just a matter of time.

Literally none of those, of course, holds up to scrutiny, let alone the combination.
    Yep, but a lot of people in the US believe this. I don't. For the most part, rich people are scum that only got where they are by stealing from those less fortunate than them. Rich people who are actually good people are VERY VERY VERY rare, I think I've heard of maybe 2 or 3 ever.

Because they are sheeple

Deleted
    They believe in "self made man".

because no one looks sad on a jet ski.

money cant buy happiness, but lack of it sure can prevent it.

7+ Year Old Account
    If we consider three groups, the lower, middle, and upper class, it is pretty easy to see why nobody would admire the lower class. There is nothing admirable about being poor. The middle and upper class lifestyles are celebrated as a matter of relativity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    I'm an American and I do not idolize rich people. Infact, I berate them for amassing their wealth instead of putting it back into the capitalistic system.

Though that's to say, I've got no problems with people with lots of high priced "things". There is a difference between amassing wealth in a bank account and spending that wealth and thus putting it back into the system.

But to the people that claim they are so rich they don't even know what more they could spend it on? I call bull shit.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should I idolize the bum in the ally instead? Those who are able to make money are usually seen in high regards. This Doesn't mean that everyone with money is idolized though. The second generation of rich people are in a lot of cases looked down upon because they didn't have to make that money themselves, and because of this they end up having to prove to the world that they aren't just hand me down millionaires for most of their lives. Also not all 2nd and 3rd generation rich people actually stay wealthy ether, what can happen is the generations can lean to much on the success of what made their parents / Grandparents rich and never adapt to a changing world, sometimes lousing everything in the process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    Should I idolize the bum in the ally instead? Those who are able to make money are usually seen in high regards. This Doesn't mean that everyone with money is idolized though. The second generation of rich people are in a lot of cases looked down upon because they didn't have to make that money themselves, and because of this they end up having to prove to the world that they aren't just hand me down millionaires for most of their lives. Also not all 2nd and 3rd generation rich people actually stay wealthy ether, what can happen is the generations can lean to much on the success of what made their parents / Grandparents rich and never adapt to a changing world, sometimes lousing everything in the process.
    The bum in the alley probably has greater words of wisdom than Donald Trump, a self-proclaimed rich man.

Nice try though.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Chester Carlson's mom died when he was like 6 of tuberculosis, his dad had it too. They were so poor that the father and son had to rent a converted chicken coop and Chester couldn't sleep inside because he might catch TB. He worked two jobs even at the age of 13. He put himself through college though people would help him from time to time, people admire someone who isn't giving up. He started writing ideas for inventions in a notebook, at one time he had ideas for over 200 inventions. He was mostly a C student.

He sent out over 80 job applications and only got one response back but they hired him.

He read in a scientific journal about a Hungarian scientist who got metal emulsions to stick to a steel plate. He hired a immigrant German chemist who couldn't speak much English and they started to work on the invention.

Chester invented the copying machine, with his patent he got 1/16th of a cent for every copy made in the world, he co founded the company Xerox. Before his death he gave most of his millions away to charity.

They put him on a postage stamp not long ago.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    The bum in the alley probably has greater words of wisdom than Donald Trump, a self-proclaimed rich man.

Nice try though.
    i really doubt the bum has more wisdom then trump, thats just blind hatred on your part without really thinking.

Income inequality is at record highs, yet the American people think the best way to close that gap is to give tax cuts to the wealthy?!?!?
    Yeah No. Not everyone thinks this.

I believe everyone should be paying the same percentage of taxes. Period. Simple.