Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The opportunity to try is there, sure. That's a very different statement than saying "anyone can succeed if they try hard enough". Wealth tends to, by nature, be exclusionary.
    in general, "wealth" as we tend to discuss is created generationally. One person makes a small fortune and passes it along to children who then use that money create more wealth which is then passed down to the next generation and so forth.

You say that wealth tends to, by nature, be exclusionary. I disagree. Wealth is not exclusionary. At least in the US. The biggest obstacle to generating wealth is the current Democratically led idea of estate taxes. Federal estate tax rate is 40% and states vary but I believe about 20% is the highest rate. Most estates will fall beneath the exclusion but that exclusion cap ($5M federal) is a huge limiting factor on the generational accumulation of wealth.

Too many people equate high incomes with wealth and the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. With a few obvious exceptions (Gates, Zuckerberg, etc) most wealth is created generational accumulation.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    The solution is to keep innovating. There is huge innovation going on in the US and world wide so as long as that continues the rich people who don't re-invest money are just shooting themselves in the foot.
    Except activist shareholders are demanding that corporate profits be spent on buybacks instead of innovation.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    in general, "wealth" as we tend to discuss is created generationally. One person makes a small fortune and passes it along to children who then use that money create more wealth which is then passed down to the next generation and so forth.

You say that wealth tends to, by nature, be exclusionary. I disagree. Wealth is not exclusionary. At least in the US. The biggest obstacle to generating wealth is the current Democratically led idea of estate taxes. Federal estate tax rate is 40% and states vary but I believe about 20% is the highest rate. Most estates will fall beneath the exclusion but that exclusion cap ($5M federal) is a huge limiting factor on the generational accumulation of wealth.

Too many people equate high incomes with wealth and the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. With a few obvious exceptions (Gates, Zuckerberg, etc) most wealth is created generational accumulation.
    The wealthiest bracket of individuals is also the smallest. I'm not sure how much more of an example of exclusion one could have than that. Granted, if the discussion is going to define wealth as something other than money, it's not quite so cut and dry.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The inclusion of "the brand of" pretty explicitly makes it unlike "all Muslims."
    Ok so what BRAND is that? All Christianity in America as a whole? Lutherans, Presbyterians, 7th day adventists?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    A chain of thought that's based on premises that don't really hold true;

1> Hard work and smarts will guarantee you success
    2> The harder and/or smarter you work, the more success you'll have
    3> Thus, anyone rich has worked hard and is smart, and
    4> If you work hard too, you can be rich like them, it's just a matter of time.

Literally none of those, of course, holds up to scrutiny, let alone the combination.
    if you're not rich or successful it's because you didn't work hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The wealthiest bracket of individuals is also the smallest. I'm not sure how much more of an example of exclusion one could have than that. Granted, if the discussion is going to define wealth as something other than money, it's not quite so cut and dry.
    By definition the top 1% (.1% or .01% or whatever) is going to be pretty much smallest bracket of individuals. This would be true if they owned 2 quadrillion dollars or 2 dollars.

I tend to demonize the wealthy...(am I doing something wrong?)
    Most wealthy, if not all, simply win the genetic lottery and get born into the right parents.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    I will never understand this general thought pattern in the US population. As far as I can tell the rich and powerful of this country actively funnel money into our political process in order to write the rules in their favor and the general public cherish them for it. It is like watching a really bad case of Stockholm syndrome except the scale is tens of millions of people.

Income inequality is at record highs, yet the American people think the best way to close that gap is to give tax cuts to the wealthy?!?!? I guess people generally conflate success with financial gain here in the us, but I have never been that way. For example, Nikola Tesla died penniless yet was the actual originator of AC current; however, here in America we celebrate the man that stole Tesla's ideas, Thomas Edison.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I simply don't conform to the general thinking patterns of this country.
    Why don't non-Americans celebrate/respect success?
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Wealth isn't usually a measure of success.

(adult language)

Poor kids chasing the American Dream.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Wealth isn't usually a measure of success.
    I strongly disagree. Wealth is almost always a measure of success, but it not the only measure by any means. Some place too much emphasis on this as a measure but it is generally one measure.

- - - Updated - - -

I tend to demonize the wealthy...(am I doing something wrong?)
    Most wealthy, if not all, simply win the genetic lottery and get born into the right parents.
    So do the pretty, the smart, the most athletic,etc.

No.
    If you're wealthy it's almost always because you had the right parents.
    Those pointing out "examples" that say differently, are mere exceptions to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    Should I idolize the bum in the ally instead? Those who are able to make money are usually seen in high regards. This Doesn't mean that everyone with money is idolized though. The second generation of rich people are in a lot of cases looked down upon because they didn't have to make that money themselves, and because of this they end up having to prove to the world that they aren't just hand me down millionaires for most of their lives. Also not all 2nd and 3rd generation rich people actually stay wealthy ether, what can happen is the generations can lean to much on the success of what made their parents / Grandparents rich and never adapt to a changing world, sometimes lousing everything in the process.
    Above summarizes pretty much every thing which is wrong with this mindset.

Deleted
    Cause Americans last wish before they die is "uhh i wanted that job". They denied all their science, they denied global affections, but in the end the guys not living in big cities will wither and die. If you want to be barbarian do it - you gave us Trump. So better make you big, cause you will fall

I sincerely wish that Tesla had been successful. I think the world would have been a very different had his ideas been supported instead of scorned and stomped on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    Clearly its only Americans who idolize rich people.

Why the fuck do the mods let these threads keep going?
    It kinda only is them, though. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    There is so much more to life than money.

10+ Year Old Account
    To many, success is measured in wealth and the convenience and security it provides.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    No.
    If you're wealthy it's almost always because you had the right parents.
    Those pointing out "examples" that say differently, are mere exceptions to the rule.
    That's a rather idiotic way to look at things and generally people aren't looking at 2nd generation wealth as a success story to look up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Because, as you know, America is the only nation with a currency system while the rest of the world continues to eat sticks and rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    That's a rather idiotic way to look at things and generally people aren't looking at 2nd generation wealth as a success story to look up to.
    That's the point; no one looks at the wealthy as some success story, unless you just happen to be one of the rare few that can invent something and convince people to buy into it.