Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Night conquers day

So I am one of the few you could call "nocturne". For ~12 years now I always end up being awake and productive at night, while sleeping during daytime. Whenever I have to adopt to outer circumstances it only takes a few days to return me to the night. I wonder if someone else here is nocturnal?

i am weird in that i sleep a normal amount of time usually, around 7 - 8hrs normally, but my body gets sleepy later each day by like an hour or two a day until it eventually cycles around till i'm either up through most of the day or up through most of the night.

Deleted
    I was a night owl during my early adulthood. Since about the age of 25 I can't stay asleep as soon as there is a hint of sunlight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Staying up late is something I find very tempting, it's an internal battle for me to go to bed almost every night

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love being nocturnal, unfortunately my employment ruins that these days. Used to work Night Shift which was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    Whenever I have to adopt to outer circumstances it only takes a few days to return me to the night.
    This is so me, man. I can't maintain 'normal' schedule for longer than a few days, I always come back to being nocturnal. It doesn't have to be a problem if you manage to adjust everything accordingly, like diet for example. My breakfast is usually at 3pm and dinner is somewhere during the night, body adjusted to it and I don't get extra weight from eating a lot after 7pm, since my 7pm is not the same as everybody else's.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am weird in that i sleep a normal amount of time usually, around 7 - 8hrs normally, but my body gets sleepy later each day by like an hour or two a day until it eventually cycles around till i'm either up through most of the day or up through most of the night.
    I'm often in a similar situation, because it's very hard for me to actually fall asleep once I lie down, it usually takes me at least one hour. Sometimes it messes up my sleep time, which can be a huge pain in the ass if you're on a chrono diet and it's important to have meals at the same time every day.
    Last edited by Archon14; 2017-05-31 at 06:39 AM.

Deleted
    I've never been a night owl, and thanks to my lovely work schedule and hellishly long commute I can't be one anyway. I do have a bad habit of staying up late, but sadly for me 'late' means 11pm-midnight.

It's only a habit. I used to be like that, but then decided I am gonna have an alarm ring at 8.20 in morning every day. It's been about 2 years later and it still rings every day and I wake up and have the best sleeping schedule I have ever had, getting very deep sleeps and waking up without any problem. Human body likes routine.

And when you say you go back to sleeping whenever after few days, it is only because you didn't give your body enough time to adapt. It might take a month or two to get used to it, just needs some self discipline.

all through my uni years, I did my best work during the night in the computer room, it was also great because I'd go to sleep around 10am, but I'd be up at 2, those 4 hours would be sufficient to recoup, but I could never say do sleep at 10pm and up at 2,

Afraid though employment, relationship and pets stop that now

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't really cared for working night shift, makes it hard to socialize.

I had a very irregular sleep schedule when I was younger and a history of insomnia, its a struggle for me to have a consistent sleep pattern most of the time.

It's all habit. I spent my life at home going to bed at 10 pm every night, then when I went to college I stayed up to 3 am every night. A few years latter, I worked construction and I could not stay up past 9 pm unless I heavily medicated with caffine. Eventually, I worked as a cook and got back into 3 am bed time. What I can tell you about the whole thing is that I really enjoy night time, it's like the one time of the day I view as completely my own, but waking up around afternoon ruins your day. I don't naturally go to bed early, but when I get into that routine over the course of a month or so, I feel more satisfied with my day, things seem to be more possible.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    Your body's natural cycle is around 24-26 hours a day, you need to reset every single day by going outside when it is bright. The above is totally normal if you stay inside all day. Also, there are so hormonal things to do with eating breakfast also which make you sleepy at the right time later in the day. Skip breakfast and you can also run into nocturnal issues.

I think people get stuck flipped upside down(nocturnal) because darkness makes your body start to release melatonin, thus you get sleepy before the night is through and you adapt a different stable pattern divorced from early sunshine and breakfast effects. I have lots of friends like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    I was a night owl during my early adulthood. Since about the age of 25 I can't stay asleep as soon as there is a hint of sunlight.
    Obviously need heavier curtains
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Same, over the last 7 years i've spent significantly more time awake at night than during the day. Started with Insomnia, then it became a habit, and now i work overnight so things won't he changing anytime soon.

i work 3rd shift and so yup rarely see the daylight

I get up for an hour or two in the middle of the night, it's very quiet around here. I don't really get much done.

I wonder if it has some evolutionary value, some adults in the tribe were awake at odd hours so they could warn the others if there was a surprise attack or something?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

For me it is a matter of not wanting to switch states.
    I'm happy doing my thing, and I can't be bothered to sleep now. Or flipside, I'm happy in my dream and I can't be bothered to wake up now.

That does mean I end up staying up until 2 AM before the need to attend work tomorrow forces me to capitulate. But I'd happily keep going another 3-4 hours if I could before I actually got fatigued.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

No cause i am Dayman, fighter of the Nightman. I'm a master of karate and friendship to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    No cause i am Dayman, fighter of the Nightman. I'm a master of karate and friendship to everyone.
    Friend of everyone but the Nightman it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I get up for an hour or two in the middle of the night, it's very quiet around here. I don't really get much done.

I wonder if it has some evolutionary value, some adults in the tribe were awake at odd hours so they could warn the others if there was a surprise attack or something?
    Until the industrial revolution, that used to be the norm. People would sleep a little bit at nightfall, wake up later and do stuff in the small hours for a bit and then go for a 'second sleep'. There are many interesting articles about it if you google 'second sleep'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

I'm kinda like that, being a polyphasic sleeper and all. Up midnight to 6, sleep 6 to 10-12 AM/PM, up again 10AM-12PM to 6PM and back to sleep 6PM to midnight.