Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    Bail system is that wonderful thing that says you don't go to jail if you got money right ?

What a loss
    Bail in the United States refers to the practice of releasing suspects from custody before their hearing, on payment of money to the court which may be refunded if suspects return to court for their trial.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Police dont chase bail skips, if no one chases bail skips the bail system collapses, and then you have no one willing to post bail. So, again, without thinking you are advocating for the end to the bail system.
    I strongly disagree. It's just another way to make money out of something that should be a public mission in a developped country. In France we do have that kind of system (albeit, without bail fees, but under police control, meaning you have to present yourself regularly to the nearest Police station) and if someone tries to skip that, the Police will go after him.

You can keep the private bail system. But why Police couldn't have among its missions to catch those who skip their bails, public or private? Catching and bringing accused in front of a Justice Court is a public mission, not something you are suppose to make money out of.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    okay, I just read hired to serve a warrant and immediately thought process servers. Side note, wouldn't tasers/stun guns and surprise be better than guns in a public place? or rubber bullets? at least as far as my limited knowledge goes, bounty hunting typically pays much better for live retrieval over dragging a corpse through the door.
    Tasers are only one shot and if you miss your fucked if the other person has a gun. Stun guns are close range, good luck getting close enough to an armed suspect to use one if you tip him off. Rubber bullets might be less lethal but they can bounce around inside your body and end up killing you just the same. The best idea would be just to not pursue targets and shoot at them in public places.

Deleted
    Bail in the United States refers to the practice of releasing suspects from custody before their hearing, on payment of money to the court which may be refunded if suspects return to court for their trial.
    Okay so that's what I said you don't go to jail as long as others if you have money

What a truly great system indeed

10+ Year Old Account
    Bail system is that wonderful thing that says you don't go to jail if you got money right ?

What a loss
    You go to Jail, pay Bail, get out of Jail, then agree to return to the courts at a set date for your trial.

Edit: I don't think you understand that posting Bail does not mean that you're innocent. It just means you don't have to sit in a jail cell for XXZ days until your trial comes up. You *STILL* have to go back to court.
    Last edited by SinR; 2017-06-02 at 04:52 AM.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Police dont chase bail skips, if no one chases bail skips the bail system collapses, and then you have no one willing to post bail. So, again, without thinking you are advocating for the end to the bail system.
    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...iling-out.html

It's a crime cops should deal with it if not then no one, if you skip bail and a cop looks you up they'll find out it's not like you disappear forever if a bounty hunter doesn't go after you.

If fugitives posted their own bail, they'd have a lot less incentive to skip bail... if you aren't hurt at all by the loss of the bail money, there's a lot less reason to care about losing it. Obviously this then raises the question of 'what if they can't afford bail', but there's other solutions to that problem than having a random 3rd party put up some money to try and make a profit off it.

Also, why wouldn't police chase bail skips? They do in pretty much every other country in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Estherna View Post
    I strongly disagree. It's just another way to make money out of something that should be a public mission in a developped country. In France we do have that kind of system (albeit, without bail fees, but under police control, meaning you have to present yourself regularly to the nearest Police station) and if someone tries to skip that, the Police will go after him.

You can keep the private bail system. But why Police couldn't have among its missions to catch those who skip their bails, public or private? Catching and bringing accused in front of a Justice Court is a public mission, not something you are suppose to make money out of.
    Then reform the bail system, put chasing down bail skips on the plate of law enforcement. I have no problem with that, however, in the US that isnt' the case yet. In the US its a private thing because its a legal contract btwn the accused and the bail bondsman. Which is why the police aren't involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...iling-out.html

It's a crime cops should deal with it if not then no one, if you skip bail and a cop looks you up they'll find out it's not like you disappear forever if a bounty hunter doesn't go after you.
    Tell me something, how much experience do you have with bailbondsman in the US? I really want to know so I know how to treat your supposed wisdom on the subject matter.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Okay so that's what I said you don't go to jail as long as others if you have money

What a truly great system indeed
    Most countries have a similar system (although often implemented differently), due to the presumption of innocence. You aren't actually guilty of a crime until you're convicted of it, therefore you shouldn't be held in prison (long term) before your court hearing. The idea of bail isn't actually 'paying to get out of jail', its more providing a disincentive to flee when you're released.

Bounty Hunters kill less people than Cops doing the same job.

Because they only get paid if they bring them in alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    so the fugitive shot back. Sucks for the bounty hunters but looks like the peice of shit got what was coming to him.
    From what I see happening, it was the fugitive who had the last laugh.

Put a couple bullets finishing off the bounty hunters before succumbing to his own wounds. How many people would have died if it was actual police involved?

Doesn't even seem like the bounty hunters were properly licensed either, what a clusterfuck.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    If fugitives posted their own bail, they'd have a lot less incentive to skip bail... if you aren't hurt at all by the loss of the bail money, there's a lot less reason to care about losing it. Obviously this then raises the question of 'what if they can't afford bail', but there's other solutions to that problem than having a random 3rd party put up some money to try and make a profit off it.

Also, why wouldn't police chase bail skips? They do in pretty much every other country in the world.

I'll make this easy... Person 1 (well call them the accused) is arrested for (crime not important); Judge sets bail for accused at say $30,000 (bail is set based on several variables); Accused doesnt' HAVE $30,000 to post his bail. (Now follow me here, this is where a lot of people get confused and lost); Accused approaches bailbondsman to post his bail. Bailbondsman and Accused enter a CIVIL and legal contract, usually where Accused pays Bondsman a portion of the bail amount in return for Bondsman posting the remainder to the court to affect the release of Accused from custody. Police dont chase bail skips because its a CIVIL thing btwn Accused and Bailbondsman..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Most countries have a similar system (although often implemented differently), due to the presumption of innocence. You aren't actually guilty of a crime until you're convicted of it, therefore you shouldn't be held in prison (long term) before your court hearing. The idea of bail isn't actually 'paying to get out of jail', its more providing a disincentive to flee when you're released.
    I know what it is

The end result is still the same and I don't even have to google it to be 100% certain there are some sort of private loan companies exploitating it

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what it is

The end result is still the same and I don't even have to google it to be 100% certain there are some sort of private loan companies exploitating it
    'exploiting' it how? Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    From what I see happening, it was the fugitive who had the last laugh.

Put a couple bullets finishing off the bounty hunters before succumbing to his own wounds. How many people would have died if it was actual police involved?

Doesn't even seem like the bounty hunters were properly licensed either, what a clusterfuck.
    then fuck the bounty hunters. Licensed and law following bounty hunters server a purpose and are needed. Ones that dont are not. But i will shed no tears over this piece of shit. Anyone who goes OMG 3 DEAD FOR DRUGS CHARGES he shot them when they tried to bring in him for jumping bail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Ridiculous that Bounty hunters exists in the form they do in the US.
    What is your solution?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's kinda cool that bounty hunters can actually exist.
    It's pretty good press for them that they keep getting referred to as "bounty hunters".

They're actually Bail Enforcement Agents. Or Fugitive Recovery Agents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Tell me that's not the extent of your Star Wars bounty hunter knowledge.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/l5OVgnW.jpg[IMG]

Greedo was so cool, Wuher (he's the cantina bartender, in case you didn't know) decided to use his (Greedo's) brains in a new cocktail after Solo murdered Greedo in cold blood.

Real cool. /s
    i never cared for greedo, didn't care to look into any of the other bounty hunters either. the mandalorians were my favorite because they were badass. they had the coolest armor, cool warrior culture. jango alone killed six jedi just using the special mandalorian unarmed combat style, specifically meant for fighting jedi(fuck disney canon, expanded universe is where it's at.)

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    who were the coolest motherfuckers in all of star wars? jango fett and boba fett, the mandalorians in general were the best.
    Jango got murked by Windu. Windu > Jango
    Boba was only cool because of the Extended Universe. The extended universe no longer exists....so as it stands now, for all intents and purposes, he's just another goon that got knocked into the Sarlac Pit.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's pretty good press for them that they keep getting referred to as "bounty hunters".

They're actually Bail Enforcement Agents. Or Fugitive Recovery Agents.
    Nailed it...